It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart cancels 'smart shelf' trial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 01:32 AM
link   
By Alorie Gilbert and Richard Shim
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
July 9, 2003, 4:00 AM PT

Wal-Mart Stores has unexpectedly canceled testing for an experimental wireless inventory control system, ending one of the first and most closely watched efforts to bring controversial radio frequency identification technology to store shelves in the United States.

Here is the rest of the story:
news.com.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 01:44 AM
link   
hehe, what they really didn't say clearly is the real reasons why.

Methinks they had a few people doing research on this via the internet forums, gathering feelings and opinions, and realized just exactly what people really thought about this proposed "wireless inventory control system".

Probably came here first and saw what was written up!

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 02:01 AM
link   
"One analyst said privacy concerns, though they've been overblown, have become significant enough to be a factor in the development of the technology and market"

The public still has the power to effect change, if only through their spending habits

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 02:49 PM
link   
*happydance* woo! I knew they'd have to drop the whole thing. Benetton tried the same thing not so long ago, and they had to drop it because of public opinion, too. I'm very glad this got shot down. I really dont' want WalMart of all places (not that I shop there...well, except for some stuff that I can't get anyplace else) knowing exactly what I buy and what I do with it. I mean, if I buy underwear there, when I wear it and where I go with it is my business!

top topics

join