It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joe Biden to Miners: Learn to Code

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Only about 10% of people out there can learn to code to the level needed to get a high paying job doing coding.

Collages know this and love the money it brings them in student loans from people that will never get coding type jobs.

And most of those started playing with computers as early teens. IE script kiddies.

Only about 1 in 100 can learn to code after the age 40 because their brains are no longer wired for it unless they have extensive computer use.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Attentionwandered

Exactly, coding is something that most people can do in some form or another. Coding well is a whole different matter entirely, there's optimization of code and security that needs to be taken into account. I've worked with some phenomenal programmers who don't know secure software development practices, and I've worked with security professionals who have no understanding of even basic scripting.

This is not a job that is a good fit for most people, and even then it's quite difficult to make decent money doing it. I first went to school for coding and realized a few credits in that it wasn't what I was looking for. That was an expensive mistake, but it did highlight my passion for information security. So now I work in information security consulting, and work in a variety of sectors, most of which have some form of in house development. Even if it's building a different front-end for a COTS application, there's still code involved, and that's still code that could open security vulnerabilities. Helping bridge the gap between in house development and the security team is part of my job, no one person is going to know how to do all of it, but getting that education and workflows of when it's time for the devs to talk with security or security talking with the devs is of paramount concern for almost every one of my clients.

Politicians being out of touch isn't a new thing, but considering how long the technology sector in general has been around, you would think that they might be better informed. I don't expect any of them to be experts, but I do expect them to have logical stances on these things, at least enough of an understanding to say "I don't know enough about this to speak authoritatively, but my administration (aides, etc.) has (insert subject matter expert here) to help us with creating effective policies around these things". I don't think that's asking that much.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Biden also comes from a world where you have all the time in the world if you want to learn a new trade.

If you don't have to work, have people to take care of your house and children for you, and plenty of money set aside to pay the bills, buy food, and $15k/year for healthcare (unless you've served a term in congress and are set there for life), then going back to school for a software engineering degree is totally an option.

But then...I guess you wouldn't be mining coal if you met that criteria.

If the job someone does naturally just doesn't exist anymore, or doesn't pay what it used to, its up to you to find something you can do to make a living, but Joe...you need to learn that people don't just magically get to choose a new instant career requiring years of training, when they already have to sacrifice sleep to do anything beyond working and taking care of their children.

Out of touch.

Honestly, I think he's the purposeful "no way this guy wins" sacrifice, like Hillary was in the last election, Sarah Palin, and other "obviously you don't want to vote for this candidate" candidates of the past.

<< 4  5  6   >>

join