It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joe Biden to Miners: Learn to Code

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

He wouldn't know what to do with a regular type job.

He's a professional politician. Give him enough money, and he'll believe what ever you want him to believe, and say it like he means it.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 09:18 PM
link   
The issue isn't whether or not some random 40 year old miner can learn to code some language and turn that into a paying gig ... of course that can happen .... it happens all the time that someone decides to change careers mid life and finds it was the best decision ever.

The problem is that old Joe thinks "Try coding" is the answer to a very complicated problem; that he thinks he's solved what to do with a whole industry worth of people with a simple turn of phrase.

How are they going to learn how to code Joe? Are you setting up tunes of vocational schools in west Virginia?

What happens to the people who don't have an aptitude for coding? What's your fall back plan Joe?

Which code are you going to teach them Joe? There are hundreds of different ways to code for thousands of different applications.

Once they learn to code will the software industry have enough open positions to absorb the entire coal industry?

“Anybody who can go down...in a mine sure as hell can learn to program as well…Anybody who can throw coal into furnace can learn how to program for God’s sake” 

Its just that simple ant it Joe. They can throw coal into a furnace so its their own dam fault they didn't switch over to coding now that you want to make throwing coal into a furnace illegal virtually over night.

Compassionate Democrats my back side.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I only say that because someone will figure out a new form of energy sooner or later. We know there are other forms out there. All someone (or someones) need to do is figure out how to make it practical for everyday use which is the real trick. It's being worked on because smart people love puzzles if nothing else, but how soon it will happen is anyone's guess. I'm just betting it will happen sooner or later.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Sure he has! Joe Biden was writing award-winning code just before he saved all those people by firing a shotgun through that closed door.

No malarkey!

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

He wouldn't know what to do with a regular type job.

He's a professional politician. Give him enough money, and he'll believe what ever you want him to believe, and say it like he means it.

Ummm...that’s perhaps the single best reason I like President Trump...

He’s got all the cash he’ll ever need...for two lifetimes...

He can’t be bought...he’s always had it all...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

If Joe Biden were to re-direct a few Billion $$$ to Coal Miner's families, they wouldn't mind being out of a job. And the local economy wouldn't suffer either.

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

True enough.

There are a lot of pretty smart folks out there working on just that sort of thing. It really is only a matter of time.

But until that time comes along? You go with what works. Work on technology that makes coal even cleaner, and other such things.

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

If miners and all factories workers learn how to code, there would not be enough jobs for all of them.

Manufacturing is a must, not everyone can learn how to code.

I'm an engineer and offer to teach people so they can find better jobs. However, I realized it is not for everybody. As my apprentice, I can train someone to get a six figure job within a year, but that is if they are willing to put in the work. My skill-sets are vast and is translatable to many industries, knowledge that you don't learn in school but from many years of experience.
edit on 2-1-2020 by ambassado12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Fusion power has been "five years out" for 25 years and most folk are glowering dubious, but recent news out of France re the ITER Tokamak has been very positive. They are projecting first plasma by 2025 and Deuterium-Tritium operations by 2035. ITER is a collaboration of scientists and resources from 35 nations and though they don't project commercial applications of their concept to appear until 2050, they are spending money like ITER is the way forward, or at least a step in the right direction.

I'm mildly optimistic myself but far more bullish on the science than I am on Joe Biden, so I guess we'll see.

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrustedTruth
The best way to learn from others is to find really old code and work your way up. Then you gain an understanding of what is actually happening.

If I were going to learn to code, once I'd finished the schooling part, I'd start contributing to a high quality open source project like postfix, or the kernel. I'd pick some features it was missing, code them, submit my patch(es), and wait for Wietse and Victor (postfix) to politely rip me (my code) to shreds, take their responses/advice, try to fix my code, resubmit my patch(es), was, rinse, repeat.

I'd keep doing this until I was actually able to submit patches that were accepted without criticism. Then I'd know I actually had a marketable skill.

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Coal jobs will be around forever!

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   
What if you are a coder ? It's a race to the bottom, even in this field. Non coder project managers pushing Agile will drive a coal miner to commit murder.
Or maybe he is thinking 1 in a million ex coal miners will become the next big talent.
He will f*ck up two industries.

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: rom12345

He will mess up a lot more than two industries if we are dumb enough to elect him as our next President. God I'm disappointed in the DNC these days.

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Joe Biden has seen that he can sniff on little girls, try to kiss on them, and rub on their face like an old perverted creep and nothing will happen to him. If he can do that and run for president, then coal miners and people who can toss coal into a furnace can program and develop by doggit!!!!!

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Wouldn't it be good to have a back up career when the coal mines are all closed because no one uses coal anymore?

It's a dying industry. Time to move on.

"Please do not offer anything unless you have some facts."
and it didnt take long for the game to be afoot

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat
The issue isn't whether or not some random 40 year old miner can learn to code some language and turn that into a paying gig ... of course that can happen .... it happens all the time that someone decides to change careers mid life and finds it was the best decision ever.

The problem is that old Joe thinks "Try coding" is the answer to a very complicated problem; that he thinks he's solved what to do with a whole industry worth of people with a simple turn of phrase.

How are they going to learn how to code Joe? Are you setting up tunes of vocational schools in west Virginia?

What happens to the people who don't have an aptitude for coding? What's your fall back plan Joe?

Which code are you going to teach them Joe? There are hundreds of different ways to code for thousands of different applications.

Once they learn to code will the software industry have enough open positions to absorb the entire coal industry?

“Anybody who can go down...in a mine sure as hell can learn to program as well…Anybody who can throw coal into furnace can learn how to program for God’s sake” 

Its just that simple ant it Joe. They can throw coal into a furnace so its their own dam fault they didn't switch over to coding now that you want to make throwing coal into a furnace illegal virtually over night.

Compassionate Democrats my back side.

It's really no different from
"oh If theres no decent paying job in your area just get up and move " or "if you cant afford to pay bills, just get better and get a higher paying job".

Arguments that completely ignore the reality of reality in favor of "it's easy just do XYZ".

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

I didn't put a timetable on eventually.

I just figure it will happen. If we're ever going to successfully get off this rock, it's one of the big puzzles that will have to be solved. Fossil fuel only really works here locally. It won't help us colonize the other rocks in our system.

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Thank you for explaining this. I fully agree with you. I am a coder too and I have found it's amazing how much I don't know, it's almost terrifyingly never ending. I have been lucky enough to have been coding in various ways for most of my life, with legos in middle school, and java in highschool (then combined with Lejos in college lol). It's not so easy of a job once you're really working at it. And then, if you finally do make a deadline, security is a never ending black hole.

Some coders are truly gifted and others work really hard for it. You can't really just pop open a computer and code. Not unless you really know what you are doing. Even then, you can solve a company's coding problems and still not get hired! Someone solves it with a better solution, faster, and can explain it better. It's competitive by nature.

That being said, what this article really shows that's actually scary is out of touch our leaders are with tech! It's like McAfee was saying during his 'run for president', which was ridiculous, and founded solely on this principle. Still, he had a point. Plus TV shows 'dramatizing' code give the whole public misconceptions about software engineering.

The bottom line is, a computer does exactly what you tell it to do.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Joe has to be a plant.

HOW do you willingly screw yourself over so effectively with the voters unintentionally?

IF not a plant THEN a vegetable
ELSE???

edit on 3-1-2020 by 19Bones79 because: Sp.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Did you ever see the small crowds and rooms he talks to.

This is a former Vp.and top running Democrat and its cricket's in there.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join