It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joe Biden to Miners: Learn to Code

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: stosh64

Wouldn't it be good to have a back up career when the coal mines are all closed because no one uses coal anymore?

It's a dying industry. Time to move on.

Yeah , about 200 years from now.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Wait ... isn't that hate speech and a bannable offense? Just ask the people who got banned for telling fired journos to learn to code.

originally posted by: Infoshill
Is Biden harassing Coal Miners again..

'Learn to Code' is 'Targeted Harassment

Thanks for reminding the NPC's about that little piece of recent history. The buzzfeed cough...journalists...cough did NOT appreciate the same advice.
The irony of the lefts reaction to THEIR OWN ADVICE was the first thing that I thought of when reading the story in the OP. I should have made the connection blatantly obvious when I wrote the thread with the propensity for "truth" over facts from the regressives.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   

a reply to: 0zzymand0s

If "anyone can do it", then no one should be paid more for it than we pay people to do other menial labor like flipping burgers which means it ought not be more than the very lowest of minimum wage jobs.

It just about is.
A lot of "coding jobs" have left for India and China.
Of the rest , the really good programmers have been laid off and/or forced into retirement in lieu of the young uns that will work for pennies on a dollar.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
a reply to: BlueJacket

Then go and mine something else, something that is NEEDED and USEFUL, instead of digging up million year old trees to be burned.

Sheesh, some people will never stop complaining.

Stop mining coal? OH NOES, there goes my living dream of digging up dirt.
Mine something else or be a relict of an extinct career like the needler, the charburner, the typographer and so on.

What you and people like minded like you do not get is you cannot force a technology to be adopted if it is inferior. Tech improves and eventually we will be off fossil fuels - probably nuclear energy is the ticket, but just demanding we quit using fossil fuels is beyond idiotic.

If you fools got your way you would bring on the greatest depression and millions would die.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: proximo

Then go and mine something else, something that is NEEDED and USEFUL, instead of digging up million year old trees to be burned.

Mine something else or be a relict of an extinct career like the needler, the charburner, the typographer and so on.

What you and people like minded like you do not get is you cannot force a technology to be adopted if it is inferior. Tech improves and eventually we will be off fossil fuels - probably nuclear energy is the ticket, but just demanding we quit using fossil fuels is beyond idiotic.

If you fools got your way you would bring on the greatest depression and millions would die.

Isn't that the plan of the 1% though?
The puppet masters pulling on their strings?

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: proximo

Ummm...dayum...now you’ve gone and let the canary out of the coal mine...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Just don't be any older than 27 if you wanna get hired.

^_^

Not quite. I recently took a contract to fix a project that a bunch of 25-27 year old's screwed up and I am more than twice their age. It happens a lot lately and big industry is actively seeking experience from those that have been in it for decades.

edit on 1-1-2020 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Well, you know.... since all of those unemployed coal miners who live in the middle of nowhere can afford to pay for a degree and feed their families at the same time while they go off to school in the city just to stand in line behind all of those fresh faced kids with shiny new degrees and all!

Also internet probably isn't available where they live and if it was they probably couldn't afford it. So computer literacy probably isn't high. Hes insulting a huge group of people who work an extremely hard, dangerous and toxic job. A lot of people who work hard labor jobs aren't always the smartest or educated, and that's OK. A lot of mining towns are in the middle of nowhere and well below the poverty line. It takes everyone to keep this ball spinning and there are enough jobs for all education and skill levels. But to take those jobs away, and tell them they can do better when they know they can't, is wrong. They are doing the best with the cards they have been dealt, ain't no shame in that.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZenTam

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Well, you know.... since all of those unemployed coal miners who live in the middle of nowhere can afford to pay for a degree and feed their families at the same time while they go off to school in the city just to stand in line behind all of those fresh faced kids with shiny new degrees and all!

Also internet probably isn't available where they live and if it was they probably couldn't afford it. So computer literacy probably isn't high. Hes insulting a huge group of people who work an extremely hard, dangerous and toxic job. A lot of people who work hard labor jobs aren't always the smartest or educated, and that's OK. A lot of mining towns are in the middle of nowhere and well below the poverty line. It takes everyone to keep this ball spinning and there are enough jobs for all education and skill levels. But to take those jobs away, and tell them they can do better when they know they can't, is wrong. They are doing the best with the cards they have been dealt, ain't no shame in that.

Most have property and live in beautiful areas.

I am in the tech industry and live in Minneapolis, no land long commutes. I would trade the 100k a year for their lives some days.

Well said.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: markovian

originally posted by: TrustedTruth

originally posted by: markovian
Ok ok I know what happen hear

He ment to say they should go mine bitcoin instead

He just got a little confused

U know it's hard for him with computers ever since the punch card went obsolete he still thinks programming is just punching holes on cards

Can't learn about that on Youtube any more, they banned hundreds of videos relating to cryptocurrency over christmas. With reasons such as inciting illegal activity and such poppycock. Some people had over 10 years worth insta-deleted.

They dont like crypto much

I remember some time ago reading all seized crypto was dumped on the market right at difficulty jumps to make it unprofitable

No idea if this is true just thing I heard from other miners

I got out of mining years ago after I blew up my psu and my nvidia 5850
I made about $700 when I sold my feathercoins too early, converting them to bitcoin before it exploded and became worth thousands.. I cried

Haven't kept up with the community since, but saw a video on youtube where someone who keeps an eye on censorship made a video about it.

Ofc I cannot find the video now, not in my history nor my liked videos... perhaps another victim of the purge.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Wait ... isn't that hate speech and a bannable offense? Just ask the people who got banned for telling fired journos to learn to code.

Only if you're not aligned to the left. Otherwise, it's perfectly fine! No malarkey !!

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Biden's "code" is an ID 10 T.

You know that very harsh... The problem with Programming Joe is he experienced a buffer allocation failure due to a memory error.

as posted previously...

10 PRINT "DON'T VOTE FOR JOE BIDEN!"
20 GOTO 10
RUN
?Break in 10 Memory allocation error - JOE BIDEN

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wildbob77
Coal mining is a dying industry.

Coding is a far better set of job skills.

However not just anyone cal learn to code

Coding will surely power your house too. I wrote a program once, it could run an entire city for a year. But it was spaghetti code and no one could understand it

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied
No thanks. We've enough "programmers" copy / pasting # from StackOverflow with zero real understanding of anything.

StackOverflow is an obtuse realm of arrogant knowitalls who tell you to rephrase your questions and never give a real answer. The best way to learn from others is to find really old code and work your way up. Then you gain an understanding of what is actually happening.

.net has obfuscated so many simple things that were once so simple to do... at least in my years of coding opinion... Why I remember writing a nuker to knock people off IRC from pervert channels, vb6 didn't have the code for OOB data so I had to cobble together some c++ code to work with it, and it worked wonderfully. Ahh I miss windows XP and it's silly ports of death. lol

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

originally posted by: Lysergic
Just don't be any older than 27 if you wanna get hired.

^_^

Not quite. I recently took a contract to fix a project that a bunch of 25-27 year old's screwed up and I am more than twice their age. It happens a lot lately and big industry is actively seeking experience from those that have been in it for decades.

Point being, if you were fresh out of a course having completed a degree in coding, and you were 45+ then you'd not stand a chance.

If you have years of coding experience, and the credentials and references to show for it, obviously you'd have a foot in the door, despite being more than twice their age.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TrustedTruth

Give up, baby.

We're on page 5 of an ATS thread. At this point its nothing but folk posting their own knowledge and experience without regard to the underlying story behind the OP. "Lol."

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 06:54 PM
link   

a reply to: watchandwait410

They literally teach kids in elementary school to code.

Not everyone is equally as smart as everyone else and you should understand that. Like me, I am a moron and can't code so if I was a miner I would have no job in coding.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
a reply to: TrustedTruth

Give up, baby.

We're on page 5 of an ATS thread. At this point its nothing but folk posting their own knowledge and experience without regard to the underlying story behind the OP. "Lol."

This is true.

I had too much coffee this morning, and was probably being a little replyative.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchandwait410

a reply to: watchandwait410

They literally teach kids in elementary school to code.

Not everyone is equally as smart as everyone else and you should understand that. Like me, I am a moron and can't code so if I was a miner I would have no job in coding.

I've been coding for decades and I still can't code...

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Looking at Biden's job history...

Finished law school in 1969 and was elected to the New Castle County Council in 1970, then elected as senator in 1972...

Did this man ever have a real job? Who is he to suggest what honest working people should do...lol

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join