It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joe Biden to Miners: Learn to Code

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

That's part of the reason I have the job I do. At almost every single client I've been to I see their in-house development, and quite often out of house development to have massive security flaws. Just about any idiot out there can learn to code in some fashion, you pick up a book or watch a video and congrats you've just made your first hello world. What they don't teach, or most just don't care to learn, is secure software development. I don't imagine folks in the mining industries of the world have enough years left in them to actually learn another career, especially one that is increasingly moving toward automated development.

I've worked in coal fired plants before as my sector specialization is ICS cyber security, and trust me when I say, I met only a handful of people that understood the backbone of what their equipment was running on, much less how to secure any of it. You're not teaching those old dogs new tricks, they know how to run power plants and that's about it, they're there for when the technology supporting the plant goes to hell and they need to run things manually.

There are hundreds of people supporting a good sized coal or gas plant, yet I've also worked with hydro and wind. Each of those requires considerably less people to operate due to the decreased complexity and increased automation. They also generate considerably less power than either coal or gas plants. You're wanting us to move to a system that is incapable of supporting the power needs of the country, hydro, solar, and wind are inconsistent methods of generation. If we were smart, people would stop being so damned afraid of nuclear and build more of those sites to support the infrastructure. They tend to be the "greenest" form around when you account for all aspects of the supply chain and operations.

Back to coding, they taught me to code back in elementary school too, over 30 years ago. It's not new, and for most, it's not a valid or even desirable career option.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

If the miners waste time learning to code,they will
discover that those jobs go to people from India.

Last time I looked computer programming and related fields are not very good anymore... Like his statement about "women only need a shotgun" this one is another totally out of touch statement, I think worst than his "give a kid a record player"

So looking up the worst computer related jobs guess what comes up #1 worst... BINGO!

1. Programmer
The term “programmer” can exist in a number of roles in IT, but the position is pretty ubiquitous with being a high-stress, zero-gratification job. The median income for most computer programmers is around $79,500, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. That pay doesn’t sound like it belongs among the worst jobs in tech, but the daily expectations for most programmers make them earn every penny.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: stosh64

So heres what I have to say to Biden.....: everything involved in technology is mined, yes EVERYTHING. Copper, silver, gold, aluminum, plastic...

Hey Greta, your boat...mined, or logged, your solar panels mined, your windmills, mined, your bicycle mined, the fuel to make all of these things mined.

Without mining all of us, including the absurdly ignorant leftists...would be living in the trees.

Bidens a moron

For Christs sake Native Americans mined coal..idiots

Someone should simulate what life would look like post-mining.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Wait ... isn't that hate speech and a bannable offense? Just ask the people who got banned for telling fired journos to learn to code.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
a reply to: BlueJacket

Then go and mine something else, something that is NEEDED and USEFUL, instead of digging up million year old trees to be burned.

Sheesh, some people will never stop complaining.

Stop mining coal? OH NOES, there goes my living dream of digging up dirt.
Mine something else or be a relict of an extinct career like the needler, the charburner, the typographer and so on.

Germany still burns fossil fuels for energy.
Without it, you guys wouldn't have power.
Oh noes..

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Biden's "code" is an ID 10 T.

You know that very harsh... The problem with Programming Joe is he experienced a buffer allocation failure due to a memory error.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

If "anyone can do it", then no one should be paid more for it than we pay people to do other menial labor like flipping burgers which means it ought not be more than the very lowest of minimum wage jobs.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Coal mining is a dying industry.

Coding is a far better set of job skills.

However not just anyone cal learn to code

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Amen.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Wildbob77

Coal mining will only become obsolete when coal itself is rendered unnecessary by other forms of energy. That hasn't yet happened.

I'm sure it will someday, but until then, the world will need a means of obtaining coal.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Is Biden harassing Coal Miners again..

'Learn to Code' is 'Targeted Harassment

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 02:22 PM
link   
No thanks. We've enough "programmers" copy / pasting # from StackOverflow with zero real understanding of anything.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wildbob77
Coal mining is a dying industry.

Coding is a far better set of job skills.

However not just anyone cal learn to code

But... but... they both begin with the letter "C" so they must be related...

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I wonder if Biden can code?

You know this is not just a slight on coal minors; it also means he has a low opinion of coders. That coding is such an easy profession that anyone can just pick it up as if it was nothing.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Here is how stupid and out of touch Programming Joe really is...

If he wasn't a total moron that pretty much has not had a job out side of politics for like 40+ years he could have said.

Go learn how to work on the giant windmills and solar farms, head in a different energy career direction....Something they can understand and maybe relate to.

Old Joe saying "learn code" and 98% of the audience was like "what did he say? Code? Like a code word???"

edit on 1-1-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

You know this is not just a slight on coal minors; it also means he has a low opinion of coders. That coding is such an easy profession that anyone can just pick it up as if it was nothing.

Actually I think he was trying to be smart and say something smart and up to date like...wait for it........... Computers... Saying something like that means you are smart and are one of the cool people.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: DanDanDat

Actually I think he was trying to be smart and say something smart and up to date like...wait for it........... Computers... Saying something like that means you are smart and are one of the cool people.

Didn't Biden invent the internet?

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 03:05 PM
link   

edit on 1-1-2020 by Infoshill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

For a "dying" industry, it starts out fairly well at just a tad bit over 20.00 dollars an hour. Not exactly minimum wage, is it?

Dying? Not so much... Do some want it to die? Now that'd be correct.

A bit over 62 percent of US electricity is derived from coal fired plants... I'm going to guess that you like having electricity??

Move on to what?? What supposedly green technology can, at this time, replace coal??

There are some promising developments, but nothing that will, any time soon, replace coal, or oil, for that matter.

Biden has, once again, shoved his foot into his throat.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Probably that will be the case, however, it ain't happenin' in my lifetime at the rate the "stupid" is growing.

Biden being a prime example of the "stupid".

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join