It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 States including California, New York and Michigan set to lose a Congressional Seat in 2020

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: CynConcepts

Thanks.

I have to admit that this is a little over my head, and I suspect that the census has become a political tool, what with Wilbur Ross scandal, and all. So, I'm not sure what to think about this "news".

I'm having a hard time believing that any state's populations will have dropped since the 2010 Census.

This is the problem with yall.

The state population didnt drop. The percentage changed.

But you are on the record saying hillary won because of the popular vote, and illegal immigrants can vote!

So this will turn into Trump should be impeached for the USA following the constitution on how congress is distributed.....

Lolz🤪

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Lumenari

Let us know when that starts.
Wall? Nope.
Healthcare? Nope.
Infrastructure? Nope.
Tax breaks? if you are rich. If not ... Nope.
I am comfortable... and it didn't change a thing for me.

Winning must look like something different to you than me.

Maybe if he set his mind on helping the american people instead of serving himself.
But we both know that will never happen.

"Mueller will 100% put Trump in jail"

-sillyolme 2016-2019

Got credibility?

Lolz🤪

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 09:11 PM
link   
CA is still growing in population and in 2019 they are now 39.75, so a slight uptick. Where they are going backwards is they are losing the skilled professionals. These are people that have the ability to move and get another job in a state that isn't kicking their asses all the time in so many ways.

The uptick are low skilled poor people thinking CA has something to offer them, we also can add millions of illegals to that list too.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Trueman

Yeah thats why the richest people in the nation live there.

Sounds like a negative to me.

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Scepticaldem

But you are on the record saying hillary won because of the popular vote, and illegal immigrants can vote!

No I'm not.

What percentage? I don't recall anything about percentages deciding the number of state representatives in the Constitution.

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Google is your buddy...

First

Second
edit on Janpm31pmf0000002020-01-02T17:07:06-06:000506 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: Scepticaldem

No I'm not.

What percentage? I don't recall anything about percentages deciding the number of state representatives in the Constitution.

Article 1, Section 2, of the United States Constitution states:

"Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers...The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct."

Therein lies the primary mandate of the U.S. census, apportionment of the House of Representatives. Since that first census in 1790, five methods of apportionment have been used. The current method used, the Method of Equal Proportions, was adopted by congress in 1941 following the census of 1940. This method assigns seats in the House of Representatives according to a "priority" value. The priority value is determined by multiplying the population of a state by a "multiplier."

For example, following Census 2000, each of the 50 states was given one seat out of the current total of 435. The next, or 51st seat, went to the state with the highest priority value and thus became that state's second seat. This continued until all 435 seats had been assigned to a state. This is how it is done.

Hope this helps you understand how they are apportioned based on percentages or 'priority' multipliers.
More details here from census.gov source
edit on 1 2 2020 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Hope this helps you understand how they are apportioned based on percentages or 'priority' multipliers.

P - represents a state's total population
n - represents the number of seats a state would have if it gained a seat (because all states automatically received one seat the next seat gained is "seat two," and the next "seat three," and the next "seat four," and so on.)
The multiplier equals:

[which is called the reciprocal of the geometric mean]. Computing these values is quite easy using a PC and a good spreadsheet package.
Thus the formula for calculating the multiplier for the second seat is:

or 1/1.414213562 or 0.70710678

LOL... NOPE!

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: rickymouse
Yeah, housing is cheaper where it is warmer because of less heating bills.

WHAT? WHatever you're smoking, pass it around because that's BS. I pay $500 annually for gas heating up here in Mi, that beats the CRAP out of my $150+ electric bill every single month of the year back in Florida, Ricky. It was $200 in the dead of summer down there ((so July-Sept) and it didn't get below 85 in the house. That worked out to be about $1900 bucks a year for electric climate control in Florida. My electric bill varies by the month up here, sure, but I spent just a little over a grand on electricity in the past 12 months. My gas & electric climate control, in a much leakier & older house, comes to a grand total of $1500. That comes in $400 less up here than in FL to temp control my house.

Cheaper where it's warmer my fat white ass.

But what else do you have to buy that we don't in the south? Winter tires, snow blowers, heavy coats, hats, gloves. Wood for a fireplace. Higher construction costs because you have to have a foundation below the frost line. Higher taxes for your city/county to keep snow removal equipment and staff on stand-by. Salt on the roads that destroy your cars.

No place is perfect and I could probably live anywhere in the USA and be happy. It's all relative but I have to say, life in the south does have its advantages. I really miss the snow but not the headaches that go with it.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join