It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronaut Christina Koch Breaks Record For Longest Single Space Flight By A Woman

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Congratulations goes out to Astronaut Christina Koch, who broke a record this past Saturday, for the longest single space flight ever done by a woman. Koch broke the previous record, which was set in 2017, by former astronaut and biochemistry researcher, Peggy Whitson. Whitson was also the first female commander of the ISS, with Expedition 16.

Koch's mission has a ways to go, before her scheduled return to Earth on Feb. 6.

Astronaut Christina Koch

The previous record was 289 days, 5 hours and 1 minute. At the time of her launch in March, Koch was not scheduled to be in space long enough to break that mark. NASA extended her mission.

“Having the opportunity to be up here for so long is truly an honor,” said Koch during a series of press interviews on Thursday. “Peggy is a heroine of mine and has also been kind enough to mentor me through the years, so it is a reminder to give back and to mentor when I get back.”

www.mysterywire.com...

She also broke another record on Friday, October 18. On that day, she teamed up with astronaut Jessica Meir, to conduct the first all-female spacewalk, when they went outside the ISS to conduct routine maintenance.

edit on 12/30/2019 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   
So, by being exiled off this planet because she bugged people too much, she broke a record? Is that actually something a person should brag about.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Where does this end. One small leap for midgets, one small colorless step for albinos...meh. Who cares.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   
There’s nothing like being first place of second place

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I have no sympathy for belters.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

I like this:

“Having the opportunity to be up here for so long is truly an honor,” said Koch during a series of press interviews on Thursday. “Peggy is a heroine of mine and has also been kind enough to mentor me through the years, so it is a reminder to give back and to mentor when I get back.”

This is what I admire and respect. We need more mentors in this world. People who want to share their knowledge and expertise and experience with others.

I don't see anything special in and of itself in being up there the longest. If it's remarkable at all, it seems to me that it's a greater achievement on the part of NASA for not being sexist!

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets

Where does this end. One small leap for midgets,...meh. Who cares.

They don't make spacesuits that small...

Lesbian astronaut cut from NASA’s all-female spacewalk due to wardrobe malfunction

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Well, considering almost all technology that involves space exploration started off with only men in mind, every step and achievement that a woman fulfills is one step closer for the human species as a whole to travel into orbit and space safely.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Well, considering almost all technology that involves space exploration started off with only men in mind, every step and achievement that a woman fulfills is one step closer for the human species as a whole to travel into orbit and space safely.

Thanks for representing all us frail inferior women.

As for me, I'll wait for the OP where we finally make a sammich in space to feel really free from the chains of space sexism.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   

As a woman, I say meh!

Update and breaking news will be when anyone, male or female or whatever!, beats the previous record.

Valeri Polyakov, He is the holder of the record for the longest single stay in space in human history, staying aboard the Mir space station for more than 14 months (437 days 18 hours) during one trip.
Or....

Polyakov's record for longest cumulative time in space of 678 days over two missions stood until surpassed in 1999 by cosmonaut Sergei Avdeyev with a total of 747 days in space during three different missions.

Anything else is BS!

edit on 12 30 2019 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

Edit add: btw...the last breaking news in October of 2 women actually did a spacewalk together without a male presence was just as insulting to me! Aaugh! Barf!

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Women don't have the balls to go into space? Sounds like some nutty guy made the policy years ago.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I wonder which guy and woman got the first record for having sex in space? I am not sure that we were informed about that but I am sure it happened. Oh, just googled it, Lee and Davis....I am sure that was not the last time anyone has done it though.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Freeze dried or vacuum packed ingredients only.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Freeze dried or vacuum packed ingredients only.

~sigh~

Then nevermind.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   

And that's why women can't travel into space without a male present... see.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   

And that's why women can't travel into space without a male present... see.

Because the men are not technologically advanced enough to get pastrami and a decent sour dough bread into space?

You're right... we should wait until conditions are optimal.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   
She's from Michigan so HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of Michiganders get off planet but we don't talk about it.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Great for her and the good ol' USA. For some reason I thought the title said longest space walk and then OP said 289 days so I had to go back and re-read lol.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I'm confused... Are we celebrating this because of her genitals?

Cause I thought we were just supposed to judge her as an astronaut, and her abilites as such...

So which is it?

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Quite literally, will society ever get over the whole "woman or minority first" thing? What has to happen, a chick on the Moon?
I'm trying to be serious. Anybody could write the text, "a person accomplished this or that". Be done with it already.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join