It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My latest drone creation is complete! 7" Cruiser with tons of power!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Hey all,

My new motors are installed and the latest version of Betaflight is installed. I spent all week working on this drone.. This was my biggest tuning challenge yet. I'm very happy how it came out. This drone can fly up to 10min and break speeds of 100mph. Its a blast to fly as well.

Video below:

The build details are in the video description on YouTube.

Hope you enjoy the flight!

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Dude...100 MPH.....scary....We're goin to Alaska next summer, a must have

Thanks for takin us flyin with ya!!

Hey, I was there in the seat on that diving down through the tree tops part....yeah....then that inside loop to down on the grass ground effect deally.....coool
edit on 30-12-2019 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

edit on 30-12-2019 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Triton1128

Beautiful

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Do you sell these?
Not looking to buy, just wondered if you have a house full of drones. Seems like you make a new onw every week.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I have 5 at the moment. Different Sizes and builds. I need to stop for a bit before the wife notices how much Im spending LOL

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Just curious on the typical cost of one of your builds. How long for a full charge and wondering if they will ever get beyond that wall, 10 minutes is cool but how cool would an hour be.

Also saw the fam, and wondered if they are pilots as well ? I have had some of the micros and played around, but nothing like you have going on.

I rarely watch videos but enjoy yours, so thanks and keep having fun!

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I always enjoy your videos, thanks for sharing !
The video quality has had a major upgrade, looks nice !

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

This build, for me to buy all the parts individually and do it myself cost around 450.00 bucks. To record the HD video requires a GoPro.. that's another 200 bucks. So the drone, with camera and battery is around 650.00 give or take.

The goggles I use when flying (think VR goggles) are another 400 bucks.. and the radio to control it all is another 125.00.

So in order to replicate this video, you're looking at an investment of over a grand.

Flight time is currently limited by battery technology. When I go full throttle, Im pulling over 125 Amps from the battery. If I squeezed on the biggest battery I could fit on the frame. Maybe something like a 2600mah or 3000mah. I could maybe squeak out 15min. But that would be pushing it.

When you're ripping around at speeds up to 100mph. A 10min flight is more than enough. Especially when your flying first person with those goggles on. Gets the blood pumping!

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Triton1128
a reply to: butcherguy

I have 5 at the moment. Different Sizes and builds. I need to stop for a bit before the wife notices how much Im spending LOL

It is like crack. I used to competitively race RC cars. The amount of money I spent on cars and equipment is beyond absurd. I probably had about $1500-$2k in ONE car build easily between motors, ESC, car roller, upgrades, etc.

Sitting up for hours at night wrenching on these little things is therapeutic for some reason.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   
How long do the batteries last in the drone with motors like that?

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I run mine down to 3.7v a cell. Basically a safe storage voltage. They say if you do that, they are good for 100 to 150 cycles. I have some that are 2 years old now and they still move me around good. It all depends how you treat them.

Avoid bringing them down too low. Making sure to keep them at a safe storage voltage. I personally keep all my battery's in a metal ammo case and leave it in my basement. Which is always around 62F.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Its crazy how the market has sprung. When I got into it 3 years ago. "RC drones". It was a bunch of us on forums trying to put 1 and 1 together to make 2. It was much simpler times. If it hovered and you could move it around the yard, it was a win!

Now we are using digital motor protocols and configuring active RPM filtering via specific frequency ranges. Setting up notch filters to work at lower frequency that are below the RPM filtering. We have moving I term values now that change on the fly and D min values with gains to specify how fast they boost to max D values. Feed Forward, I term rotations, Absolute control, Anti gravity...

If I were to jump in now, Id be lost.

** So if anyone is interested in learning the " HowTo " of this hobby, YouTube is your friend. Expect to watch hours and hours of tutorials. Just search Drone FPV for beginners. Or just Drone FPV in general. Just be ready to fall down the rabbit hole!
edit on 30-12-2019 by Triton1128 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Two questions.
Are you sure your figure is right...125 amps and not 1.25 amps?
And do you have your batteries in plastic in the metal case.
If not that's a bomb dog.
Cool project

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

My first test flight with this drone on 7" props. I pulled 173 Amps. I quickly changed out the props and reduced the prop size from 7", to 6", that got me down around 130 Amps full throttle.

My ESC's ( Electronic Speed controllers ) Their are 4. One for each motor. Are rated for a continuous 45A each. They can burst discharge to 50A if needed for up to 10sec. If you push it more than that, you risk burning up your drone mid flight.

Here is the test sheet for the motors I have on this build. You can see that a single motor, at roughly 21V pulls 41A with a 6" prop.

Motor Test Sheet

Its big time power.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 05:25 PM
link   

An expensive hobby but with loads of enjoyment. Many hobbies are becoming investments more than just fun nowadays.

I enjoy watching those guys on TV in the malls racing what looks like fragile paper airplanes, however when they crash, they seem to hold up well. My little toy drone crashed by my brother, took some damage but came with replacement propellers. It was a mistake to go outdoors, too windy, and its one of those midgets so the wind really affects it.

I imagine it takes some getting use too, flying with the VR goggles and ten minutes is most likely enough, disorienting after awhile even with lots of flight time. Oh well, I will have to settle for X-Plane for now for my aviation bug and live vicariously thru your enjoyable videos

top topics

join