It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evil Trump avoided the draft during the Vietnam War

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

I've turned more R than D over the past 11+ years, after a 2nd Bush pushed me back toward D, but have since found myself firmly planted in the "definitely not Democrat", and "Definitely not 99% of Republican" niche.

That said, the thing where Republican Kool-Aid drinkers can only see the wrong coming from the left when "their side" is equally guilty is becoming quite the turn-off, politically-speaking.

BOTH SIDES SPOUT THE SAME CRAPOLA!! It has become an absolute blizzard of Biblical proportions, with the daintiest of snowflakes blowing in from "right" and "left", and the few non-zombies remaining have to swim in the R & D tears that are flowing like Niagara falls lately.

Yes, Dems dodged the draft, Reps dodged the draft. George W likes to rub and kiss bald mens heads, Joe Biden likes to sniff little girls' hair. Of course they do! They're sociopaths, aka "political elites." ALMOST NONE OF THEM ARE ANY BETTER THAN HERPES!

As for the draft itself, I'd like to think I would have dodged the draft myself. My father has dealt with a plethora of health problems, most likely linked to Agent Orange/Dioxin exposure. None of which had anything to do with defending the United States of America. I'd also like to think that if the US, or the world (as in WW2) were at stake that I would volunteer. Who knows?

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer
Doesn't all of that show that he wasn't a draft dodger though?
He went through the trouble of actually maintaining his draft card and status. Meanwhile, some people burned their cards and fled the country. Equating what Trump did to the same thing as someone who left the country to avoid the draft is a bit... specious.

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Likewise, i am a veteran. I am of the younger generation, though(in general, not sure if younger than you, wont make assumptions). I am very patriotic. I believe wholeheartedly when your nation needs you and calls upon you, you should answer that call... there is a difference though. I WANTED to join the Army. I WANTED to be an Infantryman. I WANTED to fight in a war(yeah, i’m probably a bit crazy lol). I was lucky enough to serve my country in a pure volunteer force. I had it easy, when it came to joining. It was MY choice. A war such as Vietnam, i hold a certain amount of disdain for those not answering the nations call. At the same time though, i can not blame them. It was a gruesome war. Experiencing the things i did in Iraq, and the mental/emotional scars i returned home with... I would not wish that kind of torment on anyone. And i was ready for it. I wanted it. OIF was nothing compared to Vietnam. The mental/emotional scars most of them returned with make me almost ashamed for mine. That war was no joke. Most did not want nor were ready for the horrors of war.

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: PhatalError

Not knocking your background and opinion, but what reason did we have to be in Vietnam? I don't think anyone asked us to intervene, and I'm fairly certain the evidence was pretty strong that the reasons for the US getting involved were BS.

Our nation didn't even win that war, and ended in over 50,000 unneeded US deaths, and exponentially more life long injuries and illnesses.

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
a reply to: PhatalError

Not knocking your background and opinion, but what reason did we have to be in Vietnam? I don't think anyone asked us to intervene, and I'm fairly certain the evidence was pretty strong that the reasons for the US getting involved were BS.

Our nation didn't even win that war, and ended in over 50,000 unneeded US deaths, and exponentially more life long injuries and illnesses.

CIA seized control of the Golden Triangle within that time period. It was all about controlling opioids.
john-f-kennedy.net...

Perhaps the biggest secret of the Vietnam War is that our Central Intelligence Agency seized control of the infamous Golden Triangle during that time period, then, along with assistance from various elements of Organized Crime, shipped huge amounts of heroin out of that area into our country. Because piles of money were being made from this practice and many others, those who stood to profit from this horrendous war – the armament manufacturers, bankers, military men, and drug dealers – met any suggestion to withdraw from Vietnam with immediate consternation. But that’s exactly what John F. Kennedy intended to do upon re-election. In fact, he had already planned on telling the American people that their troops would be back home by 1965. Think about this momentous decision for a moment. If we had exited Vietnam by 1965, EIGHT years of bloodshed in the jungles and civil unrest on America’s streets and campuses could have been alleviated.

edit on 2-1-2020 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 03:12 PM
link   
So let me get this straight, the Dems are complaining even though they voted for Bill Clinton, whom everyone knew before hand was a draft dodger?

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   

It's just democrats democrattin'... They don't know anything else.

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

I'm aware of that. It was more of a pointed question to PhatalError.

Thanks for the information though. Maybe some people will see it, and decide to do a little bit of personal investigating into.

It seems that people, military personnel to be specific, are forgetting their military history.

I was taught these things during training, and there were constant reminders from senior enlisted to be wary of illegitimate orders, especially illegal ones.

As far anyone who thinks the US military would just blindly follow orders to attack US citizens, it would probably surprise you to hear that the majority of other service members I worked alongside or came into contact with made it quite clear that they wouldn't hesitate to go against orders that involved taking away the guns of the US citizenry among other things.

The ones who didn't say anything about it maintained silence.

These types of conversations are some of the many topics that were discussed quite often.

You may even be surprised that despite a service member's political leanings or affiliations most are pretty solid on standing together on these kinds of issues. Democratic, Republican, Independent, you name it.

So, if you think that the US military is comprised of people who would take away their own people's rights to defend themselves rather than disregard those orders then that is pretty disrespectful in my opinion.

I can understand if an individual isn't a US citizen, and perhaps it's because they were raised or accustomed to not having the right to protect themselves. Maybe they were brought up or instilled with the notion to place politicians and rulers above the common person.

But here in the US the politicians and those who are places into roles of authority are supposed to represent us and serve us, and unfortunately they have been allowed to almost position themselves into a place where they have complete power over us.

All it would take is for us common people to unite and learn how to work together, compromise, and stop trying to tell each other how to live their private lives, and we could gain more leverage against a would be oppressive government.

But instead we have more and more people nitpicking over what is or isn't a right. People not respecting each other's privacy, youth who are being instilled with the wrong values and believing that it is more important to share every little detail of their private lives.

Stop trying to tell people they shouldn't be able to defend themselves. It makes no sense. You may as well tell people to go ahead and lay down and take what's coming.

The US is a large country with a lot of people, of course the statistics are going to be high, but if you do a little digging, you may find that there are other countries that are smaller in size and less populated, albeit maybe a little more concentrated with higher gun related crimes and murders.

Law abiding, sane citizens don't go on shooting sprees, so taking away their ability to enjoy a past time or to defend themselves against criminals is not going to amount to much.

Using your own countries lack of gun related crimes is unwarranted as well. We can play the whole statistics game until one or another gets preoccupied with real life matters.

What about knives? What about cars? What about cigarettes? What about inner cities vs suburb vs rural? We can play the what about game just as long.

Oh, but cars weren't designed to kill people. BS. Cars also weren't designed to run over multiple people, or store dead bodies in, or transport illegal substances.

What about bow and arrow? Should we ban those as well?
Crossbows?
Slingshots?
Rocks?

Fists?

A gun is a tool. It is the intent of the operator that determines whether or not it is used in a criminal manner or not.

It's a petty argument that disregards looking at what the actual problems are. How did we as a society get to the point that individuals feel the need to commit murder, sometimes on a mass scale, and more often than not ends in a suicide?

When did we stop caring about each other, only to then allow companies to start taking the rights to our privacy via freewill or extortion. When did it make sense to give up one's own mind on to be on Team A or Team B or Team whatever?

Why did we ever get to a point where to get one thing we want we have to then deal with a bunch of # we don't want to deal with.

The common people have allowed it to happen, and it's going to have to be the common people who will change it. We can continue to fight and bicker over things, or completely ignore it, and continue to let the undeserving people in authority continue to fulfill their self-serving interests, or we can all get our heads out of asses and start working together.

Because despite everything it doesn't matter who did what or who didn't prevent what. We're here now, and this is the mess we've got.

Are we going to start having conversations about how to fix things, or are we going to keep pointing fingers and making clickbait titles about Biden, Pelosi, Trump, or some other asshat?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join