It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evil Trump avoided the draft during the Vietnam War

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12Trump doesn't deserve to be president. However, neither was hillary deserving. Im not sure anyone running is.

Hillary didn't deserve to be president because she's a flat-out liar about things that matter and agree or not, I believe she has had several people killed over the years. Not in a direct way, but more of a "think out of the box" way to her hitmen. Trump has lied about a lot of things, mostly making statements about things that don't matter and being absurd about them. I think he does it to throw off the Dems and get them thinking about him instead of their communist agenda.

Trump did make an a$$ of himself talking about Mccain. Basically disrespecting all POWs. Like or dislike Mccain, you don't talk trash about him being a p.o.w. as POTUS...

McCain was a deep-state swamp dwelling slug that got a lot of soldiers killed and he was protected by his daddy. The only credit I give him is he survived being a POW. There is some belief that he gave up other soldiers while captive to save his own life. We may never know the truth about that.

Trump is a severe self-centered as$hole and that's why so many hate him. He has done some good stuff but people can't get over how much of a hypocritical a-hole he is

When they get their paychecks the personality doesn't matter because a lot of us were struggling a few years ago and aren't nearly as much now. That's directly due to Trump's economic policies. I can ignore his personality because of the results he's gotten. When it comes to the success of our country, he puts that ahead of his personal success. He doesn't need the job or the money, he doesn't need the fame or the power, everything he's done so far has been for our benefit. Obama's policies were all pro-government, the total opposite. I'd rather have an asshole in the office that does things for our people rather than a smooth-talking charleton that does everything to make the government more powerful against us.

I can't support trump because a smart man wouldn't say many of the things he has that created pointless division. Not saying hillary would be better, but damn does trump say stupid things. He makes a fool of himself constantly. He could be so much better by simply thinking before he talks and explaining himself, but he chooses not.

You're right, he's a jerk, but a smart man would support Trump because our nation is far better off now than it was three years ago. Forget his language and personality and focus on what he's done FOR us.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

When they get their paychecks the personality doesn't matter because a lot of us were struggling a few years ago and aren't nearly as much now. That's directly due to Trump's economic policies. I can ignore his personality because of the results he's gotten. When it comes to the success of our country, he puts that ahead of his personal success. He doesn't need the job or the money, he doesn't need the fame or the power, everything he's done so far has been for our benefit. Obama's policies were all pro-government, the total opposite. I'd rather have an asshole in the office that does things for our people rather than a smooth-talking charleton that does everything to make the government more powerful against us.

You hit the nail on the head with these statements ! Thank you for posting such an intelligent and honest viewpoint of Trump and his policies.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

'Dear 1960s Donald + approximately 15 million other Americans (predominantly males),

WE do not require you to go to another country and potentially get shot, at this time.

We may be calling on you at a later date, don't get too comfortable.

Yours truly

US government
'

.........fast forward 60 years.......

NPC sky screamer says: 'Donald Trump dodged the draft, Donald Trump is a coward, Donald Trump should not be President (PS: Did we mention that we hate Donald Trump?)'

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   
One article I read on this subject suggested the doctor who provided Trump with the bone spurs diagnosis was a tenant of Fred Trump and liked to trade favors. As I recall, the doctor's daughters indicated the diagnosis was phony. If true, Trump could clear all that up by providing the X-rays. However, as someone noted earlier in this thread, the army's doctor's had to sign off for the deferment. Does anyone know if they would have required the X-rays for verification, or would a signed report suffice?

Regarding the Vietnam war in general, I can certainly empathize with anyone who tried to avoid it. Even left-leaning newspapers have tried to excuse it over the years by calling it a 'well-intentioned mistake,' which isn't remotely satisfying. The foreign policy behind that unjust conflict has it's roots in post WW2 planning. Plenty of fortunate sons were able to avoid it in ways that people who didn't come from privileged backgrounds could. Others chose the conscientious objector route. Regardless, it's the policy, rather than the people who served or didn't serve, that should be examined because it's at the heart of numerous acts of global villainy in our world--past and present (Guatemala, Chile, Nicaragua, the list goes on).

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Wait just a second, didn't Bill Clinton make draft deferments of no possible social consequence????

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: FredT
At some point this will stop being a thing thank god.

Looks the kids of wealthy parents all did it during Vietnam....... Ala Bush in the Air National Guard etc. The fact that Trump did it really is meaningless in the scheme of things.

I wouldn't count on it to stop being a thing until he's out of office. All this is about is trying to pull votes away from him anyway. That's not gonna stop until at least until after he's re-elected. Probably not until after his successor is elected.

Actually I was referring to the whole notion of draft dodging in general as a political attack tool regardless of who it is directed at

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Isnt it ironic..

The left: "War is bad. If we didn't bomb them all, Muslims wouldn't hate us!"
Also the left: "Trump is evil because he didn't go to war!"

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
He was rich and given a pass at serving in Vietnam. He was a fortunate one.

Trump was born of high wealth and advantages which got him out of war. It's as sinple as that.

Yet, trump is commander and chief and makes decisions to bomb people. Makes decisions about keeping or removing troops.

Trump doesn't deserve to be president. However, neither was hillary deserving. Im not sure anyone running is.

Trump did make an a$$ of himself talking about Mccain. Basically disrespecting all POWs. Like or dislike Mccain, you don't talk trash about him being a p.o.w. as POTUS...

Trump is a severe self-centered as$hole and that's why so many hate him. He has done some good stuff but people can't get over how much of a hypocritical a-hole he is

I can't support trump because a smart man wouldn't say many of the things he has that created pointless division. Not saying hillary would be better, but damn does trump say stupid things. He makes a fool of himself constantly. He could be so much better by simply thinking before he talks and explaining himself, but he chooses not.

Assuming McCain wasn't part of the coup attempt....

ETA: And if he did as you asked, you'd still hate him. So you aren't saying much.

edit on 30-12-2019 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:25 PM
link   
All I can say is this. My dad was in Vietnam and I don't blame the ones who avoided it if they could. It was pretty obvious all along that was not going to end well. A bunch of guys got turned into corpses (and worse) for nothing. The US government didn't even bother with finishing what they started the right way over there. Once a country commits to a war like that, you don't pull out. You see it through. The time for "why are we doing this?" is before you do it.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
What makes you so important that how you would feel is how everyone else should feel?

So if you're in a car with 4 people and you are one of the two in the back seat. The 2 in the front were killed in a wreck and the two of you in the back survived.

Wouldn't you feel guilty if you spoke to the mother of the dead driver?

That's a really BS way of looking at things. Sure I'm certain it would be hard in any case. I had a hard time looking a teen ager's mom in the face when he blew his heart out of the back of his chest with an M2. Think that wasn't hard? Should I have looked down on my brother who didn't become a cop because I had to endure what he didn't?

I get the awkwardness and the shame. It's human. It doesn't mean you can judge someone else because of the way YOU feel. That's not how it works. Someone should tell liberal power mongers that.

Its not about delusions of grandeur its about trying to understand my own views by putting myself in the situation.

I would dodge the draft but I'd feel guilty talking to the mother therefore according to me it's the wrong thing to do. I'm just looking for the flaws in my thinking as I can't know anyone else's thoughts.

Of course my opinion is as irrelevant as yours.

As for the car? If I had the power to swap seats and the others didn't then I would feel the same. But that's not your question so according to your example I wouldn't feel guilty.

But you may be right and draft dodging can be something to be proud of. But let's be clear...

Trump isn't Muhammad Ali.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Why would they be beaming with pride that they are alive? It's more likely that they would feel sorrow.

Talk like this is just opinion or something of hyperbole.

Probably loaded hyperbole to express opinion.

Although I'd be shocked if it hasn't actually happened before.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

The wars that my forebears were in did in actuality have many deaths.

Just because they looked fine on the outside doesn't mean that what was going on in the inside was okay. My grandfathers and father all had chemical exposure, and I almost didn't make it.

I almost died when my mother was born. I wasn't just premature. I had a malady of conditions that I somehow overcame. I found out that later on in life that I've got some deformities, but they're all internal and so far so good. None of them are fatal for the time being.

The thing is that I believe you missed the point.

Sure now in current times, it's not that bad. As I stated, I was more worried about being thrown under the bus by bootlickers than actually being attacked by enemies.

The thing is no one should be forced to participate in battles or wars that only serve politician's interests. The common person doesn't benefit from it. That's all there is to it.

If a person wants to protect their family and loved ones they need to be there with them, not on the other side of the planet doing f-all.

Congratulations on serving, getting a degree, and becoming an officer. Like thousands of other people. That GI bill is something ain't it?

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
According to the left, Donald Trump is evil because he managed to avoid the draft during the Vietnam war.

I would have done anything to avoid that unlawful death-quagmire too.

The draft should be abolished, by constitutional Amendment.

If there is not enough support for a war with an all volunteer army, we shouldn't be fighting it. Period.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: StallionDuck

Definitely not wrong for dodging. Although it was obviously his wealth and connections that got him out. Vietnam was a bad war and i don't blame anyone for dodging.

I think the big thing is that trump made fun of mccain for being a POW.
And Bill Clinton? What got him out of it? You didn’t have to be rich to avoid Vietnam.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Even if he did, I don't care. If he had gone to Vietnam he would have probably died and we wouldn't be able to witness all this Liberal @$$ whipping today. Anyone who goes to war is forced and the reasons that we go are all lies anyway. Smart if he could do it and get away with it. Again, had he gone, the swamp would remain filthy.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Trump isn't evil for draft dodging, he's just a coward pos.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: richapau

Trump isn't evil for draft dodging, he's just a coward pos.

Are the other 15 million cowards and POSs too?

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I have proven multiple times that his number was not even called. So even if he did get a deferment, he was never even going to be drafted.

You can look up if he was called up in the lottery system, based on his birth date.
The first rounds of the draft his birth date was nowhere near being called up.
then finally when his number would have been called up, the draft was abolished.
So it would have been imposible for Trump to even attempt to dodge the draft, since he was never drafted in the first place.

edit on 1-1-2020 by dubiousatworst because: sheesh

edit on 1-1-2020 by dubiousatworst because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: dubiousatworst
I have proven multiple times that his number was not even called. So even if he did get a deferment, he was never even going to be drafted.

You can look up if he was called up in the lottery system, based on his birth date.
The first rounds of the draft his birth date was nowhere near being called up.
then finally when his number would have been called up, the draft was abolished.
So it would have been imposible for Trump to even attempt to dodge the draft, since he was never drafted in the first place.

Your conclusion is incorrect, even though your facts are correct.

It is true that Trump's draft lottery number was so high that his birthday was never reached in 1970, the first year of the lottery. However, he was called to the induction center twice before that, once in December of 1966 and then again in September of 1968.

Here is a copy of Trump's Selective Service record, as provided by the National Archives:

www.thesmokinggun.com...

Under the law as it was through 1969, men had to register with the Selective Service System within 30 days of turning 18 and declare their draft status. Trump turned 18 in June of 1964 and, because he had been accepted to Fordham University, he asked for and got a 2-S student deferment. At the end of his Sophomore year, he decided he didn't want to go to Fordham any more, so the school would have notified the draft board of that fact. Apparently, his father had not managed to get him admitted to the Wharton business school yet, so the draft board classified him 1-A and ordered him to report to the armed forces induction center on December 15, 1966. Under the law as it existed then, you could appeal or request a change in your status any time up to but not including the day of your induction. Two days before his scheduled induction, the fact that he had started classes at Wharton had gotten through to the draft board and they gave him another student deferment. That was a close call.

Two years later, he had completed school at Wharton, was reclassified 1-A on July 9, and scheduled for induction on September 17, 1968. At that time, and through 1969, there was no draft lottery and all men who were 1-A were drafted in the order of oldest first. That meant that if someone had had student deferments for 4 years, they had a higher probability of being drafted as soon as they finished college, because they would be near the upper end of the age distribution. Apparently, the Fall of 1968 is when Trump discovered he had bone spurs. I believe he probably showed up to the induction center with a letter from the doctor who diagnosed him, and was apparently able to convince the examining doctors there. A month later, the draft board reclassified him as 1-Y, which meant that he could be inducted into the military only if there was a national emergency. I think that meant that he would not have been drafted into the military under the lottery in 1970 even if he had had a low lottery number.

Trump held the 1-Y classification until it was abolished by law at the end of 1971, at which point the draft boards were instructed to administratively reclassify anyone in that category. About a month later, Trump was classified 4-F, and that ended his dance with the draft.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

Doesn't sound too draft dodgy to me.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join