It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evil Trump avoided the draft during the Vietnam War

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   
According to the left, Donald Trump is evil because he managed to avoid the draft during the Vietnam war.

Without using the rose colored glasses of today’s knowledge against yesterday’s events, let’s look at the facts:

During the Vietnam War, about two-third of American troops were volunteered, the rest were selected for military service through the drafts.

During 1964-1972, approximately 27,000,000 men were eligible to be drafted.

2,215,000 men were drafted......or approximately 8.2% of the 27,000,000 available.

Most of U.S. soldiers drafted during the Vietnam War were men from poor and working-class families. The least political power sections were mistreated. As a matter of fact, American forces in Vietnam included twenty-five percent poor, fifty-five percent working-class, twenty percent middle-class men, but very few came from upper-classes families. Many soldiers came from rural towns and farming communities.

Of the approximately 27,000,000 men eligible for the draft, approximately 15,400,000 were granted deferments, or approximately 57% of the eligible men.

Around 15.4 million were granted deferments, mostly for education, some for mental, physical and family hardships.

Let that soak in....57% of the available men were given deferments for various reasons.

Draft dodgers:

Even though there was some opposition to the draft even before the U.S. direct involvement in Vietnam, the conflict saw new levels of opposition to the call-up. As American troop strength in Vietnam shot up, more young men of call-up age sought to avoid or delay their military service and there were some legal ways to do that. Men who had physical or mental problems, were married, with children, attending college or needed at home to support their families might be granted deferments. It is worth noticing that many men received deferments were from wealthy and educated families. Prominent political figures accused of avoiding the draft includes Bill Clinton, Joe Biden and Dick Cheney.

And of course: Donald Trump.

I have seen repeated derogatory references about how Donald Trump avoided the draft by deferment, while conveniently leaving out the fact that 57% of the available men were given deferments.

I have also seen how people claim that Hillary was cheated because she won the majority of the popular vote, but they turn a blind eye to the fact that people like Joe Biden and Donald Trump were in the MAJORITY of people (57%) given deferments.

I have served in the military, and I am not making any sort of judgement about the people who were given deferments. Like I said at the beginning of this post, you can not look back at the past with the rose colored glasses of today's knowledge...it simply doesn't work that way.

The Vietnam war was a unpopular war, a quagmire with no way out.

In the beginning, many people looked at “draft-dodgers with contempt as being “cowards”. As American casualties rocketed up while the U.S. could not see the light at the end of the tunnel as claimed by its government, the conflict in Vietnam became more and more unpopular. As a result, more people got involved in the anti-war and draft resistance movement and backed these draft-dodgers. The draft process was also scrutinized carefully owing to the increasingly unpopularity of the Vietnam War.

As anti-Vietnam War protests increased remarkably in the United States during late 1960s, the draft apparently became a target of many criticism. In 1964, many students illegally burnt their draft cards. In the early 1970s, draft resistance reached its peak. In 1972, the number of induction-refusal legal cases increased tremendously to 200,600. Those who had practiced draft invasion by flying abroad faced forced military service or imprisonment if they went back home. Although draft dodgers were still prosecuted after the end of U.S. direct involvement in Vietnam, in September 1974 President Gerald Ford granted a conditional amnesty that required them to be of service from 6 to 24 months. In 1977, on his first day in office, President Jimmy Carter controversially offered a full pardon to any draft dodgers who requested one.

Source: thevietnamwar.info...
edit on 30-12-2019 by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   
The Democratic Party does it once again.

Going after Trump for something Biden did.

Are they purposely trying to get Biden out?

Also, going after Trump for something many other Democratic Politicians did.

But we all know if you have a (D) behind your name you can do all sorts of things. Even highly illegal or immoral things and because you are a (D) you are forgiven, because everyone knows (D)'s are just a bunch of lovable scoundrels, who hold everyone else tightly to their PC moral code.

But have a (R) behind your name, it's off with their heads!
Republicans claim to have traditional morals rather than PC morals, that is a PC sin, and so if they violate anything, traditional or PC well, off with their heads.

Meanwhile, wink and nod if you have a (D) for the same thing.

That is the progressive/liberal/Democratic Party way these days.

edit on 12/30/19 by The2Billies because: addition spelling

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

Speaking as a vet, I'd rather have served with people who wanted to be there rather than anyone who didn't, but was forced.

But that's just my opinion.
edit on 30-12-2019 by DBCowboy because: Network dude has great beer

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Speaking as a vet, I'd rather have served with people who wanted to be there rather than anyone who didn't, but was forced.

I would agree with your sentiment....I would be much more comfortable serving with people who volunteered than people who were forced....I volunteered. I grew up with the Vietnam war, and I remember the protests and draft card burning back in the day.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:02 AM
link   

My father (as an older officer) had a bomb placed under his bed there and was in the tet offensive.

I hold no grudge for those who legally were not drafted.

I hold a deep grudge for those who fled to Canada and other countries and then returned. They were the cowards.

If someone followed the law and got a deferment, they followed the law.

My (junior enlisted) husband was also drafted at the end of the war but never went.

At that time I held no animus for those who had legal deferments, but loathed and still loathe (progressive/liberal icon) Jane Fonda who got prisoners tortured for her behavior. I also loathe those who were cowards and fled the country and then came back, they are the lowest of the low, vermin of humanity.

edit on 12/30/19 by The2Billies because: addition spelling

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
He was rich and given a pass at serving in Vietnam. He was a fortunate one.

Trump was born of high wealth and advantages which got him out of war. It's as sinple as that.

Yet, trump is commander and chief and makes decisions to bomb people. Makes decisions about keeping or removing troops.

Trump doesn't deserve to be president. However, neither was hillary deserving. Im not sure anyone running is.

Trump did make an a$$ of himself talking about Mccain. Basically disrespecting all POWs. Like or dislike Mccain, you don't talk trash about him being a p.o.w. as POTUS...

Trump is a severe self-centered as$hole and that's why so many hate him. He has done some good stuff but people can't get over how much of a hypocritical a-hole he is

I can't support trump because a smart man wouldn't say many of the things he has that created pointless division. Not saying hillary would be better, but damn does trump say stupid things. He makes a fool of himself constantly. He could be so much better by simply thinking before he talks and explaining himself, but he chooses not.
edit on 30-12-2019 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Besides... Who in the hell wants to die? I would think that most people would look at war and think.... "I would rather live". Especially when you know the death toll. Many millions died in that war.

I'm sure there are a vast number of people who were IN that war who didn't want to be there either and were forced to. That doesn't mean that the people who didn't want to go... who didn't go... were wrong.

Hell... I'd be a coward too. Anyone who says that he was wrong for dodging... I'm going to guess and say that they likely weren't there either.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Definitely not wrong for dodging. Although it was obviously his wealth and connections that got him out. Vietnam was a bad war and i don't blame anyone for dodging.

I think the big thing is that trump made fun of mccain for being a POW.

link   

Can we just set this crap straight?

My dad was drafted in during the korean war and saw way to much death.

His two older brothers were drafted in ww2 and one didn't come home.

My brother was drafted during Vietnam but was rejected because his hearing was damaged by anesthetic as a baby.

My father in law was drafted by the army twice during Vietnam and rejected the first time with asthma then joined the air force before he got the second draft notice.

Lots of draftees in my family.

The point you ask?
Not a damn one of them or their parents wouldn't have "dodged" the fricken draft if given the chance.
Remember.. People that want to go, volunteer..
The rest get drafted.

Can we stop pretending otherwise?

Eta..
I would like to point out that they all reported when directed to do so..
Nobody went to Canada.
edit on 30-12-2019 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
link   

anyone who avoids being drafted is no coward. They are smart. Who in their right mind would willingly subject themselves to the horrors of war?

Not a knock on the people who have served since...its just that they are either hopeless (financially or otherwise) or drank too much government kool aid.

I never served. I saw no reason to subject myself to that. Given that vets account for more than half the suicides by gun in the US....id suspect that my reasoning is pretty solid.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Not just your opinion. My dad and brother (both vets) very much agreed. To be blunt, neither one felt they could trust and depend on someone who was there by diktat, and not by choice. If their heart and conscience were not committed to the fight, then they weren't up to the challenge, and it put everyone in jeopardy.

They also believed that no draft was necessary for a just war...

I tend to agree.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:30 AM
link   
If Obama had gotten a deferment on a draft for bone spurs (even if he really had them), I'm sure the comments on this board would be the same, NOT! LOL!

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite
If Obama had gotten a deferment on a draft for bone spurs (even if he really had them), I'm sure the comments on this board would be the same, NOT! LOL!

Drinking Magic 8 Ball water only makes your mouth blue....it doesn't give you psychic powers.

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInsite

Obama wasn't an American during the draft..

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:36 AM
link   
There were no grounds for going to war with Vietnam.
Zero.

America was sticking it’s nose where it didn’t belong.
I’d be a hypocrite if I said draft dodging was wrong during this period.

After WWII the US thought it was the rightful peacekeeper of the world.
If countries want genocide and civilian wars it shouldn’t be the US’ problem, only the UN.

The same can be said of Afghanistan, but apparently oil is precious and it presents you with the economic opportunity to rebuild a country you wrecked.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite

Are you sure ?
One does not need a deferment for bone spurs.
That is a given.
Cannot do basic and all those long marches/hikes carrying that backpack loaded with rocks with bone spurs.
You should have known that.
Or should you ?

edit on 12/30/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Anybody hitting Trump about being a draft dodger and avoiding Bernie and Biden are intellectually dishonest and should not be voting if that is one of their main hits on him.

Bernie said he was never going to serve if drafted and would have went straight to Canada. Ok. So ask Bernie what is he going to do as Commander in Chief if Soldiers refuse to serve under his command since he thought it was perfectly fine for himself to just say whatever, not doing it. I will tell you what he will do; put them in jail and not think twice about it.

As for Biden, he was a star football player. How does a sickly young man with asthma play football on such a high level but it suddenly flairs up when the war drums start beating towards him. Not believable. Other than avoiding military service, I have never once heard him discuss his severe asthma problem. He even brags about being physically fit and exercising. Amazing! He was also a life guard and took on Corn Pop with a thick chain. I would bet a large bag of money he never had asthma a day in his life.

edit on 30-12-2019 by Stupidsecrets because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Not a knock on the people who have served since...its just that they are either hopeless (financially or otherwise) or drank too much government kool aid.

I served and you are spot on!

I was lost when I joined. Peer pressure was also a part of that not to mention me wanting to get away from an abusive alcoholic step-father. Only verbally to me but my mom - much more than verbally. I found out when I got back. I always thought it was just a bunch or arguing and screaming. I tell you that all stopped after I found out and he felt just what it was like getting pummeled by another man... That's all I'll say to that.

Drill Sergeant said often: You're not here because you're smart, private. You're here because you're stupid! Now GET DOWN! Eat Pavement!

The only reason those guys went there to die is because, as some of you said... They were forced to. I don't blame a damned one of them. I don't blame the resistance to it either. Though, what Fonda did was unforgivable. That was totally different!

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:42 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Bone spurs. Kind of strange that a younger Trump would have them. However not unheard of in younger people. And sometimes people with bone spurs don't feel them.

In any case. I don't blame him for not wanting to go.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join