It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dozens Gather to Protest Moving Alamo Cenotaph many are armed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Dozens Gather to Protest Moving Alamo Cenotaph

NEWS SOURCE: spectrumlocalnews.com...

SAN ANTONIO -- The controversy surrounding the four-year, $450 million Alamo renovation project took another turn Friday, as the nonprofit group This is Texas Freedom Force and other demonstrators from across the state gathered in front of the 60-foot cenotaph in hopes of getting lawmakers’ attention.

*Some protesters dressed in tactical gear
*Protesters may protest for 5 days

I think this was a stunt with the tactical gear and open carry but the implied threat in this situation is designed I suppose to draw attention to this protest. The protestors are not calling themselves protestors and they give no other purpose for the guys in tactical gear open carrying other than they are ready for anything without spouting off any sort of direct threat. I see no police in the video and have not found anything further than this as far as development. Please include any other members might find on this thread if something else happens of public interest. I will be watching this situation as I am sure a lot of my Texas friends.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Bury it in place. In 150 years they will dig it back up and everyone will say wow, that's cool. I can't think of one artifact where anyone said leave it. Too offensive.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 12:40 AM
link   
really interested to see the reaction of the Usual Suspects around here who get frantic about protestors with milkshakes...

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 01:13 AM
link   
What is the reason given for moving it??

I can't play the video for some odd reason, and I didn't see it in the attached article...

Does it hinder foot traffic, or anything of that nature??

Or is it one of those SJW things we've all been witnessing over the past few years??

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

It does not say why they want to move a 60 foot tall stone monument 800 feet and risk destroying it. It is just part of a “renovation.”

Been there for 80 years. Why move it?

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I think the concern is they can not move it without damaging it. I also gather it is being moved about 800 feet away for traffic restructuring.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 03:43 AM
link   
the obvious question - for those claiming :

"it cannot be moved without destroying it "

how did it get to its current location ????

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
the obvious question - for those claiming :

"it cannot be moved without destroying it "

how did it get to its current location ????

It's kinda big, probably was built in place.

That's like asking "well why can't the pyramids in Egypt be moved?"

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

egyptians moving big things

FFS - the deeper one looks into this farce - the more cretinous the protest is

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

What does a dam in Egypt have to do with moving a 60' monument in Texas?

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

if you read my source - its obvious :

22 monuments and architectural complexes that were threatened by flooding from Lake Nasser, including the Abu Simbel temples, were preserved by moving them

you didnt read it - did you ?

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Those protesting this want the movement put up for a vote. They just want the people to have a say in what happens. And the monument was built in place, and the fear is that moving it, would damage it. I applaud these men for standing up.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   
that's me in the pic, tall one

now ya know what I look like....

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 07:36 AM
link   

You do not understand Texans and our love for our history. I work with historic properties for a living, and despite how rabid i am i still find that im second guessed quite a bit in regards to my decisions relating to said properties.

Added to that....open carry of rifles is legal here. Its not uncommon to see in the area around the Alamo.

All that said....the traffic around the Houston St area and Alamo itself isnt really that bad. Not sure what there is to gain from this proposed move.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
that's me in the pic, tall one

now ya know what I look like....

You mean the guy with the 'evil' black rifle?

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   
If this thing was a threatened species, no amount of traffic relief would justify endangering it. Seems to me, the same could be done for a historic item.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge
Been there for 80 years. Why move it?

If they need to move it to renovate the monument, then that's the reason to move it.

Question... Why the weapons and the camo gear? Surely that's a bit much?

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

You do not understand Texans and our love for our history. I work with historic properties for a living, and despite how rabid i am i still find that im second guessed quite a bit in regards to my decisions relating to said properties.

Added to that....open carry of rifles is legal here. Its not uncommon to see in the area around the Alamo.

All that said....the traffic around the Houston St area and Alamo itself isnt really that bad. Not sure what there is to gain from this proposed move.

If the Alamo REALLY meant all that much to Texans, then all of you would know it's going to be moved to be worked on to fix misspelled names and to add MISSING names in a safer environment for doing that. Because doing that where it is isn't the wisest way to fix up old s# unless it absolutely cannot be moved.

Jesus people. I live in MI and already knew this was planned.
edit on 12/30/2019 by Nyiah because: Grammar correction on monuments -- it's not as simple as a forum edit.

Second edit: As to the permanent relocation a couple hundred feet away, one article I read had explained that the hotel front they want it at is more sheltered and will enable it to withstand weathering longer over time. Makes sense. Don't see why people would want to complain about preserving it if it stands there longer than in it's original spot over time.
edit on 12/30/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

since you know so much, was it supposed to go back to the same location? Are you against the protesters who just want the people to have a say in what happens?

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Nyiah

since you know so much, was it supposed to go back to the same location? Are you against the protesters who just want the people to have a say in what happens?

Check my edit. The protesters are stupid.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join