It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In December 2021, India Will Join the Truly Space faring Nations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   

India has been set on joining the three space faring nations in placing people into orbit. They have been building their own rockets capable of placing a payload into orbit large enough for a human occupied capsule to make the journey safely. The rocket, called the GLSV Mk III[1], has flown a number of times. The capsule, called Gaganyaan (meaning sky vehicle), has been undergoing testing for some time as well.

The Gaganyaan capsule will carry three astronauts[3] and mass in a 7,800 kg (17,200 lbs) range including the service module. This is in comparison to the American Orion (33,446 kg, up to 6 crew), Dragon V2 (9500+ kg, up to 7 crew) and CST-100 (13,000 kg, 7 crew) capsules. The Russian Soyuz has a mass around 7,200 kg and a crew of 3 for comparison as well.

Gaganyaan has been testing since 2007. There have been two reentry tests and a pad abort test. In December 2020, the capsule will be placed in orbit unmanned. This is similar to the recent Boeing CST-100 Starliner test and the upcoming SLS/Orion test in 2021. In 2021, India intends to launch the capsule with its first crew.

If they are successful, India will become the fourth truly space faring nation. Russia, the US and China are the only ones with independent human spaceflight capabilities. or sorta. The US is currently dependent on Russia and has been since the space shuttle was retired over 8 years ago. The US is working on three different capsules so as to not have single point of failure again like it has in the past.

Once successful, India would be legible to join the International Space Station once its docking technology is up to snuff. This is in contrast with the Chinese which are forbidden by US law. Indian astronauts may be able to fly on the Orion to the Gateway station, but it is doubtful India will have any rockets with the necessary throw to place manned capsules that far out.

Even so, the addition of another nation with the capability to go into space with people is exciting. Space is hard, as Boeing just found out again, and I hope the Indians do well.

1. en.wikipedia.org...
2. en.wikipedia.org...
3. Or whatever their local name will be. Americans have astronauts. Russians have cosmonauts. Chinese have taikonauts (semi officially).
edit on 29-12-2019 by anzha because: fixed link

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   
That capsule looks like the light I put onto my plowtruck when I plow.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Is that what they spend their foreign aid money on?

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

And there was me hoping they'd found the Vimanas.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Gods-speed, Hindu travellers!

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 08:17 PM
link   
USSR/Russia - Cosmonauts

USA & allies - Astronauts

China - Taikonauts

India -

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Saint Exupery
USSR/Russia - Cosmonauts

USA & allies - Astronauts

China - Taikonauts

India -

Uuhhhh.....APUnauts ?

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skush
Is that what they spend their foreign aid money on?

Maybe the $$ would be better spent on infrastructure..like indoor plumbing.

I should add..good for them, I just think more important things could be accomplished vs building aircraft carriers, or having a space program.
edit on 29-12-2019 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 01:14 AM
link   
The argument that India would be better off spending its money on other things is exactly the same one put forward during Apollo, and the scaling back of the US space program as a result is why they are now playing catch up.

Money spent on their space programme employs Indian engineers and scientists and brings in money from paying customers wanting a cheaper option. Investment in space pays off.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

India has been set on joining the three space faring nations in placing people into orbit. They have been building their own rockets capable of placing a payload into orbit large enough for a human occupied capsule to make the journey safely. The rocket, called the GLSV Mk III[1], has flown a number of times. The capsule, called Gaganyaan (meaning sky vehicle), has been undergoing testing for some time as well.

The Gaganyaan capsule will carry three astronauts[3] and mass in a 7,800 kg (17,200 lbs) range including the service module. This is in comparison to the American Orion (33,446 kg, up to 6 crew), Dragon V2 (9500+ kg, up to 7 crew) and CST-100 (13,000 kg, 7 crew) capsules. The Russian Soyuz has a mass around 7,200 kg and a crew of 3 for comparison as well.

Gaganyaan has been testing since 2007. There have been two reentry tests and a pad abort test. In December 2020, the capsule will be placed in orbit unmanned. This is similar to the recent Boeing CST-100 Starliner test and the upcoming SLS/Orion test in 2021. In 2021, India intends to launch the capsule with its first crew.

If they are successful, India will become the fourth truly space faring nation. Russia, the US and China are the only ones with independent human spaceflight capabilities. or sorta. The US is currently dependent on Russia and has been since the space shuttle was retired over 8 years ago. The US is working on three different capsules so as to not have single point of failure again like it has in the past.

Once successful, India would be legible to join the International Space Station once its docking technology is up to snuff. This is in contrast with the Chinese which are forbidden by US law. Indian astronauts may be able to fly on the Orion to the Gateway station, but it is doubtful India will have any rockets with the necessary throw to place manned capsules that far out.

Even so, the addition of another nation with the capability to go into space with people is exciting. Space is hard, as Boeing just found out again, and I hope the Indians do well.

1. en.wikipedia.org...
2. en.wikipedia.org...
3. Or whatever their local name will be. Americans have astronauts. Russians have cosmonauts. Chinese have taikonauts (semi officially).

Fantastic. Another corrupt government in space!!

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Good for India. This will bring in serious money if everything goes well.
edit on 12/30/2019 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Problem India has is a crippling sclerotic bureaucracy and political interference combined with endemic corruption which has resulted in number of military procurement projects being halted or delayed for years

Refer to the STRATEGYPAGE blog which reports on the problems caused by the political and bureaucratic interference

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: firerescue

I've watched them for a long time. They've done slightly better with their space program, but I'm not expecting much from them.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 09:02 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The Indian space program is very impressive, especially the Mars Orbiter Mission and Chandrayaan-1. I hope the ISRO’s second Mars probe will include a lander. It’s telling that China has yet to orbit Mars, and the Russians have had terrible luck on all their Mars missions. India aced it on its first try; quite a feat for any nation.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join