It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freewill Is An Installed OS

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: CthruU

They are reactions, unconscious. Like flinching if someone touches you unexpectedly, not thoughts we have prior to realising them.

We cannot know what happens next. We can only act in a certain way so as to hopefully create that outcome. This comes from thinking about it, but it does not necessitate that outcome.

We no more have free will than we have the ability to change the past. All we can do is learn from the past, let it become a process of determining what actions to take in order to create new outcomes. That is not free will. That is simply the process of thinking.

Whatever actions you make are determined by your current thoughts. Not some thought you had a few moments ago. The outcome is what ever results from those current thoughts. Sure, we can decide on an action, and take it.. but that is still acting on a current thought.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Do I get to have a choice to pick Windows instead of 10 or Mac at least?

Supposedly you can make all sort of willful choices with Linux...that if I can ever learn how to use it.
edit on 29-12-2019 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: WanderingMrM

If you had been born in a completely different place, with a different environment, schooling, friends, introduced to different flavours as a child, etc, then you would not be the person you are now.

We are the product of the experiences, environment and social interactions that are layered onto us every single moment. Even now, you have changed your brain ever so slightly having read comments in this thread. The brain is nothing more than a chemical and electrical system that builds our personality by our circumstances and interactions. And that, is where 'we' come from, as us.

If you were to have married at 21, and then died at 25, but your wife lived till 80, if there is such a thing as the afterlife, would you see her as an old woman, or she you as an old man. What would her long life have changed about her. Would she even still have thoughts of you, perhaps she remarried, had children, grand children, extended families, memories etched into her heart that lasted far longer than her time with you, her entire life would have been different, so would her soul be inclined to be with you, or those of her own family who passed before her?

The concept of seeing loved ones in the afterlife is bizarre to me. In fact, the concept of the afterlife makes no sense. We return to that from which we came... nothingness.
edit on 29-12-2019 by TrustedTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

Yep picked up butterscotch for a change but only did it the once.... the preference here is chocolate....

I love chocolate icecream and I cannot choose to love vanilla.... or butterscotch icecream.

Have you ever tried pistachio ? OMG, I swear you'll change your brain chemistry after the first taste.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: rom12345
Sometime the best choice is to not choose, but that is often the hardest.

I chose not to choose once, turns out it was the wrong choice.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreenGunther

originally posted by: InTheLight

I always make choices and paths given what life throws in front of me. The question is, is the choice you make best for you?

‘Best for you’ is subjective.
There will never be such a thing.
Only better and worse outcomes and once again, that in itself is subjective.

If you consider what outcome is best for you, and act in accordance with it, then it is the best choice for you.
If an obstacle appears and blocks that outcome, then reconsider what outcome is best for you now, and do the same.

There are never any bad choices in that respect, if you always act towards whatever is best for you.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Specimen88
Do I get to have a choice to pick Windows instead of 10 or Mac at least?

Supposedly you can make all sort of willful choices with Linux...that if I can ever learn how to use it.

No, never choose a mac. It's proprietary hardware and software is intolerable, and you will undoubtedly consider you made the wrong choice.

Learn how to use Linux??? Ahhah.. therein my friend lies the tale of the sparrow with a piece of felt in it's beak, lowly flying over a very large mountain...

A Linux Guru was asked "How long will it take to learn Linux?”

He replied, "Imagine a mountain three miles wide, three miles high, and three miles long. Once every hundred years, a sparrow flies over the mountain, holding a piece of silk in its beak, which it brushes across the surface of the mountain. The time it would take for the piece of silk to wear down the mountain is how long it will take to learn Linux."

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: TrustedTruth

Yea I know but it so pretty, rebellious an oddly expensive.

I miss XP...

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Specimen88
a reply to: TrustedTruth

Yea I know but it so pretty, rebellious an oddly expensive.

I miss XP...

Ahh that old workhorse. I had a select license from a place I used to work at, would install on multiple machines, so I never had to pay for it. But that grating nagging desire to check out the next thing happened, and I tried windows 7. It seemed a little better, but as usual, everything was rearranged so finding certain settings were a chore.. then windows 8. HATED IT... then they updated it to make the desktop the default again, and then Windows 10. Which I've stuck with since, simply because there is specific software I require that only run on windows...

But I have a spare machine that runs perfectly, and I can use my tv as a vga input (I need a new hdmi cable) and this is where I think I'll install Zorin... it's old, came with Windows 7 home. If I could run XP on it with any realistic new software, I'd have at it.

Remember the dinky music it'd play as you installed it and it was telling you about it's super duper features? lol.. imagine 20 machines all doing it out of sync. ahh memories.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Probably some interesting flavors of Scientology out there, but I was brought up as a truther which is problematic.
Applying for a job that required bonding and security clearance I had to undergo a 6 hour battery of psychological testing.
When it was done they sent me into a private room with the head of their screening staff.
He seemed concerned at the results of the written testing, the results weren't what he was expecting.
Wouldn't say what the issues were but felt concerned enough about my answers that he chose to ride down the elevator with me as I was leaving. By the time the doors opened in the lobby he looked almost panicked.
I didn't get the job.

Some of these control freaks become dangerous when they realize that Kunta Kinte has slipped his shackles.
Probably profit issues rather than a National Security threat these days.

I never know when I'm reading someones paid for secrets in public, I'm independent.
They could always just post a reply, and suggest something to the effect that they weren't ready for that to be moved to the house of Lords for a vote?

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrustedTruth

originally posted by: GreenGunther

originally posted by: InTheLight

I always make choices and paths given what life throws in front of me. The question is, is the choice you make best for you?

‘Best for you’ is subjective.
There will never be such a thing.
Only better and worse outcomes and once again, that in itself is subjective.

If you consider what outcome is best for you, and act in accordance with it, then it is the best choice for you.
If an obstacle appears and blocks that outcome, then reconsider what outcome is best for you now, and do the same.

There are never any bad choices in that respect, if you always act towards whatever is best for you.

Bad things happen to good people.
People who tried their very best to always choose what seems like ‘the best option’.

We can mitigate risk, but ultimately we are stuck in a random environment.
The possibilities and outcomes are unknown as we do not possess the capacity to know everything.

Stupid people make stupid choices because they are also trying to select ‘what’s best for them’, their priorities and train of thought is not the same as yours.

ie. It’s a subjective experience.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

I try to not see bad outcomes, just opportunities to find better actions to do my best. No obstacle is a barrier, but an opportunity, if you carry the right mindset.. unless you get hit by a bus or get cancer.. but they're not really choices..

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:12 PM
link   

a reply to: GreenGunther

I try to not see bad outcomes, just opportunities to find better actions to do my best. No obstacle is a barrier, but an opportunity, if you carry the right mindset.. unless you get hit by a bus or get cancer.. but they're not really choices..

You have free will ONCE. That is right before you incarnate. You wrote the script to your latest lifetime to achieve the best soul growth ever. After that; you are a slave to what you pre-determined (which includes that random thought of developing a stage IV cancer [just for fun]).

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Yep picked up butterscotch for a change but only did it the once.... the preference here is chocolate....

I love chocolate icecream and I cannot choose to love vanilla.... or butterscotch icecream.

Have you ever tried pistachio ? OMG, I swear you'll change your brain chemistry after the first taste.

Bought some pistachio gelato to see what would happen..... sorry I still prefer chocolate.
Thanks anyway

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Bought some pistachio gelato to see what would happen..... sorry I still prefer chocolate.
Thanks anyway

Are you trying to say the chemical compositions within food will alter your brain?
edit on 02CST06America/Chicago10360629 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight
No.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join