It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-16 uses APKWS to shoot down simulated cruise missile at Eglin

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert
As I understand it the test was about slaving APKWS to a Sniper ATP and SABR specifically for missile defense. According to the thedrive article about this, they are thinking about putting it on ANG F-16s flying homeland defense missions. Cause that somehow makes any sense.

Engaging low tier air threats has always existed as a secondary capability of APKWS. The Israelis used Hellfire missiles on Apaches in an air to air role years and years ago. APKWS would be no different. Sorta works as is, it's just not advertised and nobody would want to build a doctrine around it.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

That's their original purpose. This is adding a purpose to them. It makes sense for a non near peer conflict. Something like Iran. They're around anyway, so it's not like it's costing a lot of money to develop a new system.

They would work great against a swarm of Iran's flying ultralight boat things.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: mightmight
a reply to: glib2

Please tell me why.

The threat isn't there these days. The capability generates a ridiculous logistical footprint. Existing systems are more capable and versatile. Economics isn't relevant in a near-peer conflict. It's a bad implementation of a bad idea. It exists to create another narrative for the fighter mafia.

I could go on.

It allows a higher probability of kill using laser designation with more capacity to kill incoming threats. Pretty simple. The fighter mafia isn’t in the business of creating a narrative for fun. There must be a reason. If you can’t think of it that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 02:46 AM
link   

The kill probability is already perfectly adequate. More capacity is not necessary since there aren't any applicable threats.
The fighter mafia is very much in the business of creating a narrative to justify it's existense. Doesn't mean there is a sound reason in the real world.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 02:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: mightmight

The kill probability is already perfectly adequate. More capacity is not necessary since there aren't any applicable threats.
The fighter mafia is very much in the business of creating a narrative to justify it's existense. Doesn't mean there is a sound reason in the real world.

Got it thanks. I must be way off.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Flipper35

Navy and Marines are interested as such. The Cobras and Seahawks were already cleared for carriage in 2016.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join