It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid renters!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Buy homes in a high socioeconomic bracket.

posted on Dec, 28 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Stuship

The issue there is that taxes can eat up any real profit. Not to mention many higher se areas have HOA's/covenants stating no rentals, etc.

We have 1 apartment building and one home in the same town we live in. We have a high enough rent that only working people could afford it and we still get the odd crap tenant.

posted on Dec, 28 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

People think that landlords just pocket all that rent money.
But..
They have the following..

Mortgage payments...
Insurance costs... (Property and liability)
Taxes..(2 or 3 times residential rates)

Repairs of damage is just extra sprinkles..

posted on Dec, 28 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Rob808

Maybe people should live up to the lease agreement they signed.

Some people have no sense of *personal responsibility* its always

someone else's fault .......regardless.

posted on Dec, 28 2019 @ 05:17 PM
link   

a reply to: DeathSlayer

Mexican renters have a tendency to have multiple families living in one home.
It's a lease violation but they suddenly can't speak English.

Do everything in writing. Give them written notice with 3 days to fix, you'd be surprised how quickly they find a translator.

posted on Dec, 28 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   

I used to think rental income was a great idea. Now I think I would just wait till the market tanks, buy property low, sit on it, and sell it when the market peaks again. Much easier way to make money than dealing with people every month. I have heard way too many horror stories to be a landlord.
edit on 28-12-2019 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 04:26 AM
link   

a reply to: Rob808

Maybe people should live up to the lease agreement they signed.

That would require assuming people have the mental capacity to be adult enough to be responsible. Many don't, but it's not obvious until too late.

He does have a point about not banking on rentals for your entire income -- our friend we rented from did NOT go that route, he ran a general construction & remodeling company for his day job. If you're not a rental company large enough to float yourself with the profits of any combo of properties even when some others are being moneysucks, you can't bank on landlordling being a money maker, you just can't.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 07:34 AM
link   
One piece of advice. In most cases gay artist types will usually leave a property in better shape than when they moved in. Having rental properties that are non commercial are a pain in the ass.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   

I'm in the UK and unfortunately landlords are the problem. When you can buy a property and rent it out for double what the mortgage costs and don't have to comply with any laws to make the property suitable for living in, then you get people who only care about making money out of people less fortunate than them in the sense they are not in a financial position to buy a property and are stuck making someone else much better off while their money bleeds out on rent.

Ive seen some sad stories where people fall into debt and are made homeless. Most of the time the rents are ridiculously high. An example of my city is if a parent earning minimum wage required a 3 bedroom property 80% of their wage would be spent on rent. And I don't live in an affluent city.

People with a bit of money here just like to make more out of poorer people and don't really care that the rent price they set is what makes them poor in the first place.
edit on 29/12/2019 by daftpink because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

But then you contribute to thr shortage in housing.

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   

damn, I'd just like to have A house....for myself...let alone own multiples

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I didn’t say they shouldn’t. You know landlords do have a responsibility to vet their tenants. And if you are having a shortage of good applicants, maybe you’re asking too much from the area. You do seem quite hateful of those who support your livelihood.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Like a landlord renting a unit to someone with poor credit and being surprised they have difficulty paying rent. Or surprised to see signs of use within the actual unit. Couldn’t be par for the course and absolutely not the landlords ultimate responsibility... reply to: eletheia

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   
To be fair, many landlords are scumbags as well that take advantage of their tenants, by having terrible maintenance and building quality control. I've heard horror stories of people getting extremely sick due to mold infestations and nothing being done for 6-7 years because the landlord was too cheap to fix it or even acknowledge that's it a problem. Yep some tenants are bad too.
edit on 12 30 19 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs
To be fair, many landlords are scumbags as well that take advantage of their tenants, by having terrible maintenance and building quality control. I've heard horror stories of people getting extremely sick due to mold infestations and nothing being done for 6-7 years because the landlord was too cheap to fix it or even acknowledge that's it a problem. Yep some tenants are bad too.

I’ve had some nightmares with Landlords who were too cheap to fix things properly and in a timely manner. Maybe we should start a thread on nightmare landlords.. God knows there are enough of them !

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

Theres most definitely more nightmare landlords than tenants. Just reading through this thread shows perfect examples of how, when capitalism goes to a person's head, they start to see other human beings merely as commodities to make money out of. Greed is good?

As a previous poster said, landlords commenting seem to have a real hatred for the very people who support their livelihood. Choose another way to make yourself lots of money, if this is you.

If I ever rented a property I'd be expecting the issues the OP described. There are simple ways to make the process less problematic for tenant and landlord.

But again reading through this thread made me feel a bit uncomfortable as the snobbery shone through. Absolutely no human compassion at all. A good landlord would have a good relationship with their tenants because they dont just view these people as money making commodities. Its pretty typical of ATS now that the conservative, middle class and right wing vibe has taken over the whole site.

Take me back 15 years when it was all just about conspiracy digging.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rob808
Like a landlord renting a unit to someone with poor credit and being surprised they have difficulty paying rent.

More like the previous landlord giving them a glowing reference as tenants

because he cant wait to get rid of them?

Their credit could be OK except for their paying of rent!

Or surprised to see signs of use within the actual unit. Couldn’t be par for the course and absolutely not the landlords ultimate responsibility...

There's fair use and then there's tenant vandalism..... Holes punched in doors

or off their hinges, damage to floor coverings, broken handles and hand rails

and scratched (gouged) woodwork from pets even when pets not allowed etc.

IT HAPPENS ......

People rarely look after what they dont own and thats a fact!!

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

More like the previous landlord giving them a glowing reference as tenants because he cant wait to get rid of them?

Really ? That’s funny... cause usually the landlord just gives notice around here to move out, if they are unhappy.

People rarely look after what they dont own and thats a fact!!

Very good reason to stay out of renting property..

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye

Really ? That’s funny... cause usually the landlord just gives notice around here to move out, if they are unhappy.

Depends on the law of which country you are in?

You can give them notice but if they dont or wont leave you have to

go to court to evict them at a cost, then have an official (think they

are called sheriffs) more cost then before they they are evicted they

do as much damage as possible, before they are evicted. added cost

Very good reason to stay out of renting property..

Thats exactly what I did !!!! Not before the Judge informed them that they

were lucky to be paying a very fair rent for the property and area.......

and they trashed the property before they left.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
That's why property owners should demand background checks, serious credit checks, and income verification. Also, consider hiring a property management company.

A lot of landlords don't do this and wind up with # tenants.

^^^^ this ^^^^

We also write in our leases that the property must be kept in a clean and well maintained manner, and that we do monthly safety inspections of the smoke detectors and so forth.

We have evicted people caught in the early stages of abusing the property, but haven't had any problems since we hired a local ex real estate guy as our property manager. He has an uncanny ability to find quality tenants.

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join