It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do things change?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Here we are 30 years later, with worsening homeless issues country wide.

Short summery: Robin Williams addresses congress but the issues addressed are still prevalent today. He calls out areas of San Fransisco specific, and as we know it's worse than ever.

Your thoughts ATS?

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

No things have not changed just some of the names and faces.

Given the current divisions within our society its unlikely we will get the cohesion and teamwork needed to find an acceptable solution to the issues of poverty, homelessness, addiction and the like.

One side has a "screw em" mentality
One side has a "give them everything under the sun" mentality

we are too polarized to make the compromises necessary to find an acceptable middle ground

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 09:32 PM
link   

I didn't watch the video.

I think about the homeless issue more than I ever did before. There are homeless people in my small town, which was unheard of even 10 years ago. Something is not right, but when I hear politicians talk about combating the problem with more jobs and a higher minimum wage and affordable housing, etc., I can't shake the feeling that they are getting it all wrong.

It seems to me that growing numbers of people don't want to contribute to society. In my own way I understand that.

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Those in charge know exactly what theyre doing...and its called CORRUPTION... keep feeding the elephant in the room and taking 20% off the top. Keeps the machine rolling...a reply to: randomtangentsrme

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

The video is Robin Williams before congress.
Not as great as some of his comedy specials. But Poignant.

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

No things have not changed just some of the names and faces.

Given the current divisions within our society its unlikely we will get the cohesion and teamwork needed to find an acceptable solution to the issues of poverty, homelessness, addiction and the like.

One side has a "screw em" mentality
One side has a "give them everything under the sun" mentality

we are too polarized to make the compromises necessary to find an acceptable middle ground

I think it's sad. What you describe to be the screw them mentality: is the mentality that want's to find the solution, but recognizes soup kitchens and hand outs are not the saving grace for the individuals.
I am open to being incorrect.

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Why would things change?????

Majority of humanity are still naive, ignorant or just plain carefree and thats both those capable of looking past there noses and the homeless themselves.

All homeless should be placed into the military where kitchen duty or similar would be their calling until they find alternate work and take control themselves- any control/direction.

Help the disabled - the rest get the military lower roles.

Cruel to be kind comes to mind.

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: CthruU

Why would things change?????

Majority of humanity are still naive, ignorant or just plain carefree and thats both those capable of looking past there noses and the homeless themselves.

All homeless should be placed into the military where kitchen duty or similar would be their calling until they find alternate work and take control themselves- any control/direction.

Help the disabled - the rest get the military lower roles.

Cruel to be kind comes to mind.

I take issue with: "military lower roles."
As food and auxiliary positions are very relevant to the survival of troops.

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 10:09 PM
link   

The real talk starts around 9:35... And he really did hit the nail on the head for a vague prediction, but he was right on track for what was happening then.

People will disagree with him tho, because no one wants to fix the situation in the way he is suggesting. Sad reality, but it's the truth.

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

The real talk starts around 9:35... And he really did hit the nail on the head for a vague prediction, but he was right on track for what was happening then.

People will disagree with him tho, because no one wants to fix the situation in the way he is suggesting. Sad reality, but it's the truth.

What has changed between then and now?
edit on 26-12-2019 by randomtangentsrme because: I changed them to then, because I have 3 children under 6 and we mistype at times.

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

What has changed between them and now?

He's dead.

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

He's dead.

Ah so without Mork of York we are all doomed?

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Absolutely nothing has changed. The areas he was talking about started to see exponential growth through tech. and a massive surge of gentrification happened in a lot of places, which had a domino effect.

California brought in so much valuable mental labor to turn out capital it created a massive rift in tangible capital, food, housing, cars, etc. You have people who make 130+k a yea and barely being able to afford a studio apartment in san fran. Can you imagine being out of the tech world and trying to make ends meet?

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Fair enough to.

Sorry not the intention - rather just a role that could coax the workpride back out of them where indeed it is a important role and they could see for themselves the appreciation of their work.

Poor choice of words by myself.

Apologies.

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Yes. I am not in the tech world. But I live and survive in CA.
But you are correct. Nothing has changed. Shouldn't it be time for things to change?

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CthruU

Fair enough to.

Sorry not the intention - rather just a role that could coax the workpride back out of them where indeed it is a important role and they could see for themselves the appreciation of their work.

Poor choice of words by myself.

Apologies.

You have no need to apologize to myself. I have not served.
But plenty have in support of troops that had to worry about being on the front lines. I think all who served deserve our gratitude.

With that said, I had a long time seasonal individual who had served that chose a nomad lifestyle during the time I knew him.

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

He's dead.

Ah so without Mork of York we are all doomed?

Nope - just sayin' - nothing has changed - other than those that go before us have their causes.
And then they die.
Just like we have our own causes (or not) and then we're gone.

If anything? 'Mork' gave it an extra poignant spark - but then the spark went out.

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I honestly don’t think about homeless people unless they are badgering me for money. I have too many other priorities and goals as well as people that rely on me. I think that if the homeless issue is important to you and you want to help then good for you.

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Some people really do choose to be homeless.

There really is not difference between the “screw them all” and the “give them everything” groups. Because the screw them all tend to give charity individually and the give them everything group sets up hoops to jump through to qualify and could cares less if they jump all the hoops or not.

For example. If you are legitimately disabled and homeless, you can get into a facility that will provide room and board. You sacrifice your SSI check and receive a low amount of cash for personal expenses, around $20 of your upwards of $1600 monthly check. Many choose homelessness for the freedom in those cases.

There is the adventure of the pioneering spirit in living off your wits on the street or in the woods. That level of personal satisfaction is hard to replicate. There is a similar mentality of living in the woods in a log cabin, living off the land and by the sweat of your brow. Would you call that person homeless?

History is full of the wise old hermit sought for sage advice because they were not part of the rat race of society. They could also be called homeless bums today. Especially considering you would bring them gifts they couldn’t make on their own like a new knife or a tin cup or a small cooking pot as a thank you.

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Everything changes, including the stubborn hearts of men.

The question is what do you really believe in?

Today we live in a world of lies and distractions, but one day soon that too will change.

The hardest thing sometimes is to refuse to lose Faith that things WILL be better...

new topics

top topics

join