It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand’s gun confiscation program just failed miserably

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I often purchase firearms FOR my genitalia.

The last weapon I purchased was a 11mm MyPee Nisisbig.

It has a custom grip and holds a 20 clip magazine.

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Pray that doesn't backfire. Lol.

Or a MyPee M134 Minigun.

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I, a person who does own, and had my handgun on me one afternoon in my own front yard, saved my wife and myself from multiple attackers with knives. Just by simply being in the "wrong place" in the wrong moment.

Some woman almost got into an accident near my home, someone road raged out and started to attack that woman. my wife tried to call 911 to report and get help. We were both attacked, and were being rushed by three individuals, at least two with out in the open knives.

my children would have woken up the next morning orphans, if I would not have defended ourselves with my legally owned handgun.
If I had a rifle closer, or only accessible at the time, and my wife was going to be stabbed, guess what I would have done... I know my wife and I would still be living, and as for the bad guys.... meh.
im not going to die, my wife will not die, my children will not be harmed, if I have the chance to act otherwise.. I have every right to defend their safety by any means necessary. because guess what, the bad guys will not turn in their guns, the bad guys will grab a knife, the bad guys will grab a baseball bat, or their illegal guns that are all over the world..... I have the right to not have to go grab a kitchen knife because someone is trying to kill me with a knife.... and HOPE that my skills are better.... why do you not understand this.... there was NOTHING else that would have saved out lives that night.. thank god my life lead up to understanding and respecting firearms and my human rights.

when, I pray not, or if, you ever come face to face with someone who wants to harm you or a loved one, I PRAY that someone near you has the means to stop that threat. because you are giving your life to the evil human beings. you are tying your hands and giving in... f#$% that. I have a reason to live, my children need their daddy, and their mommy, and I will ensure that we are here for them as long as I have a say.

I don't give a # what country you live in, there are bad people and illegal guns, or knives, or fists and bad intentions. Im not going to wait 20 or 30 minutes for the police to arrive. 16 minutes or more that night, and I literally lived 6 or 7 blocks from the police station. too much time to die waiting for me.

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   

No, that was not my argument, if you re-check, I was talking specifically about armed criminals and was not suggesting that they don't exist. You see, using an extreme and unreasonable scenario to argue your case, means you are losing the debate.

Apparently, you also consider questioning a poorly worded response as losing the debate as well. No one has lost anything here, hoss, and certainly not by questioning a statement. As a matter of fact, I'm going to do it again!

So if I understand your position after clarification, are you saying that criminality is not a threat to civilized society as long as the criminals use other tools besides firearms? If so, I find that quite disturbing. As I mentioned above, there are so many ways to kill a person without a firearm it boggles the mind. And the end result for the victim is they are still dead... they do not become less dead because someone hacked them to death with a meat cleaver instead of shot them.

I mean, I get it: you're scared of guns. Fine, don't carry one. But when you endanger others over this irrational fear born of ignorance, you do neither yourself nor that shining "civilized" society you live in any favors. The criminals still have their guns. If criminals turn any guns in, it is because they robbed someone else of them first and still kept the "good" ones. So now you are walking around the town thinking you are safe because all the guns are gone, when in reality you are in more danger from a crime than ever before. If a criminal knows you don't have a gun to defend yourself with, will they be more or less apt to rob you and kill you for your trouble?

Think on that.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Shoots a little to the left though eh?

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Concealed carrier weapon

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

Yes because trapping them failed on an even worse level,

Really: Statistics Show Wolf Trapping Success Higher than Wolf Hunting Success - Montana Outdoor Radio Show website

trapping coupled with hunting has slowed the process but that's kind like saying throwing a rock into a raging river has slowed the flow of the river.

Sometimes you need to deal with a population bloom with several methods at once, it is true. But you need to count the cost.

By far, the most effective methods deal with biological control over reproductive success of the pest species, but these methods are the most expensive in dollar terms. However, hundreds of hunters die each year in hunting accidents in the US. There are no statistics for deaths by trapping accident, deaths by bait laying accident, or deaths by seeding a population with a reproduction inhibiting agent. The reason for this is that there are almost no human deaths from those things.

I suppose it comes down to how much value you allocate to a human life. While ever there is hunting, there will be human deaths related to it.

Consider that a scientist studying bacterial populations, when it comes to destroying samples, doesn't sit there breaking cell walls with some sort of lance.

Also look to England, after re-introducing wild pigs to some of their forests they have a mess on their hands, the small numbers of hunters, no natural enemies has lead to an explosion of the population and significant damage to the environment.

The 'explosion' of population you refer to was less than 500 wild boar in 5 locations as documented in the DEFRA reports on wild boar. DEFRA decided that the populations did not warrant government intervention and that population control should be up to regional authorities or individual land owners.

Refining approaches to the surveillance of wild boar presence, abundance and environmental impact. - WM0323 - DEFRA

A hundred people could drown in a single bucket of water, but it hardly represents an actual threat.

Is recreational hunting an effective form of pest animal management? - RSPCA Knowledgebase

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Krakatoa

Climb out of the crib, join us adults here in the real world, just once.

Strange , I'm the one replying like an adult to your insult laden replies yet you think I'm the child.

Carry on if you choose I see no point continuing this.

Aaww... did you not understand that you were wrong in your original statement and was called out on it with facts. Yet, instead of acknowledging that you chose to disparage owners of firearms with personal insults. And still think you are responding like an adult?

HAHAAHHAHAAA... Oh, you are so Silly.

I still welcome you into the world of adults, if you dare risk climbing out of that child's Utopian world view. A view, I may add, you have because people with guns protect you and "allow you" to feel safe. Just like a child feels safe when mommy or daddy protects them, so they don't have to worry about the responsibility to protect themselves.

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

.460 Mag, 300 gr. A-Frame: ME 2040 ft. lbs, 1760 ft. lbs. at 25 yards--
31.52 ft. lbs of recoil.
.500 Mag, 325 gr. A-Frame: ME 2340 ft. lbs, 2030 ft. lbs. at 25 yards--
41.00 ft. lbs of recoil, this guy is about 4 TIMES the kick of a .44 CCI Deputy
old school round for Callahan. If Justin tasted dat, he'd go "Hooo".

I think they call these elephant guns because they kick like an Indian bull
on my coffee. Good luck with them, Red... but I saw that girl get kicked in
the forehead on YouTube with a measly .50 Desert Eagle barrel. No way Today.

Back to unsliding the skyscraper here: It seems that basic rank-and-file
New Zealanders just produced a passive mandate: and if the government
decides to go Eric WallSwell all over them with some heavy equipment
it could get really messy 'down over'. (You can steal that, but you heard
the nickname here first).
What about "NO" eluded your comprehension, Jacinda?
Ms.Ardern? Bueller?!

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

It isn't.

If you don't do anything illegal, you don't get busted for it.

Actually...

If I owned a gun, let's say because my daddy handed it down to me when he died, before this new law was passed, I would not have been doing anything illegal. Now that the law is passed, the legal thing I did is now illegal, and I have to take steps to make myself legal. Ergo, my legal actions have been made illegal by default.

Yes. That is how it works.

If I owned an old box of dynamite blasting charges, let's say because my daddy left it in the shed when he died, and I inherited the property. Before the law against it was passed, we would not have been doing anything illegal. Now that the law is passed, the legal thing we did is now illegal, and I have to take steps to make myself legal. Ergo, my legal actions have been made illegal by default.

That sounds dictatorial to me.

Yes, you must fear your government. It is the patriotic thing to do!

Consume, be silent, die.

A gun is not a necessity in a fair and safe society. It may well be a necessity in yours.

Last I heard, Australia was the land where everything is trying to kill you. Since New Zealand is right next door, I can only assume you have similar species of animals. Now, what do you do when you're walking down the road, minding your own business, and one of those dangerous critters decides you're either a threat or lunch?

Tell it you live in a fair and safe society?

I dunno... I don't live there and I don't get to say what laws you pass. Of course, you don't live here and yet you seem to think you get to say what happens with our laws... Good luck with the new dictatorship.

TheRedneck

Surprisingly several hundred miles of ocean are a reasonable biological barrier for most species. Especially for the ones that humans haven't domesticated and therefore don't carry across that barrier. So New Zealand has markedly different species than Australia. We also have tight biosecurity in both countries to prevent species migration.

A dictator is a single person who rules tyrannically over all of government. New Zealand and Australia are democracies under modified Westminster systems. There isn't even remotely a suggestion that we might possibly fall under a dictatorship.

However your Attorney General supports 'unitary executive authority' for the President and several of your Presidents have sought, and passed, bills that place the office of the Presidency above the other two branches of government. Your current President even more so but with less reason to do so (there is no 911 or similar happening at present). The US is in danger of falling under a dictatorship.

edit on 27/12/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   
We have one native spider that can be lethal,and one import named the redback.

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   

You cant use that unarmed "know it all" to win your way out of a pack of wild animals or a cougar can you? You would have to have super powers.

Plus, if people thought NZ was defenseless with only certain people in possession then a Pirate raid will be much easier to pull off than if there was a gun behind every blade of grass like in the USA. But it seems you are in favor of promoting things that aid the criminal be able to commit the crime while pretending it is all under control in a 'proper' society.

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: derfreebie

I think they call these elephant guns because they kick like an Indian bull
on my coffee. Good luck with them, Red... but I saw that girl get kicked in
the forehead on YouTube with a measly .50 Desert Eagle barrel. No way Today.

Well, I also have a Thompson Center Contender with the 18" 30-30 barrel and a 20x scope on top of it. Nice hunting gun, but there's a trick to firing that bad boy. It kicks worse than a 12-gauge with Magnums.

(Of course, I use overloaded and compressed rounds for that bad boy, since it can handle them. Based on the ballistics, it's almost identical to a 30-06.)

You fire it sideways, arm outstretched to the side, not in front of you. Lock the elbow and keep it locked but let the shoulder relax a bit. When that thing goes off, it is coming back at you; the way I described it goes harmlessly over your head. I tried firing it to the front double-handed; I can hold it from slapping me in the face, but I always had cuts from the trigger guard afterward. Got tired of bleeding.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

You cant use that unarmed "know it all" to win your way out of a pack of wild animals or a cougar can you? You would have to have super powers.

I live in New Zealand, a country consisting of a number of Pacific Islands. We really don't have much in the way of wild animals that are a threat to humans.

Plus, if people thought NZ was defenseless with only certain people in possession then a Pirate raid will be much easier to pull off than if there was a gun behind every blade of grass like in the USA. But it seems you are in favor of promoting things that aid the criminal be able to commit the crime while pretending it is all under control in a 'proper' society.

Firstly, pirates would have to travel a long way to get to NZ, then the gun ban was only for particular guns and accessories.

The public are still armed.

And our military and police forces are not included in the gun ban.

Because what you suggested isn't likely at all, as an actual and real threat. As an argument it is also not strong.

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Texas Is Still Losing the War on Feral Hogs

Estimate is the there are over a million running around in Texas.

edit:

A reason to own a rifle living on a ranch here in Texas.

Armed to the teeth and still loosing. Perhaps you need a better argument for guns.

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Yes, you must fear your government. It is the patriotic thing to do!

We'll see how that works out for you. Over here, the government is supposed to fear us.

Surprisingly several hundred miles of ocean are a reasonable biological barrier for most species. Especially for the ones that humans haven't domesticated and therefore don't carry across that barrier. So New Zealand has markedly different species than Australia. We also have tight biosecurity in both countries to prevent species migration.

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

A dictator is a single person who rules tyrannically over all of government.

A dictatorial government is a single entity who rules tyrannically over the population. I really don't give two hoots of a one-eyed owl about someone ruling over the government; I care about the government ruling tyrannically over me. As it is, your government now has the right to arrest and incarcerate a citizen who was previously law-abiding not for taking an illegal action, but for failing to take an action that harms them and poses no threat. Sounds like tyranny to me.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: chr0naut

New Zealand - gun deaths per 100,000 people - 1.07

US - gun deaths per 100,000 people - 12.21

Sort of says it all.

Not really.... This is kind of cherry picking... I can say that there are more cricket bat assaults in NZ than all of America even comparing 330 million to your measly 4.5 million.

I do agree that Americans are more violent by nature or that violence is more acceptable within social norms in parts of the country, but it is also hard to compare the third largest population in the world to a country with a population that we have cities with more people.
Below are two comparisons, one is Chicago where guns are illegal and the other is San Antonio that has about the same population as Auckland of 1.5 million. San Antonio is also in a state with some of the most lacking gun laws such as you can kill to not only defend your property, but your neighbors too. If you go into a house and steal a TV you can be legally shot and killed just walking away with it as example. With Chicago there are three more cities and the total gun murders in just those four cities equal 25 to 30% of all gun murders, so they do skew the numbers a good deal.

Here is Chicago comparison, not a nice place with or without guns.

Here is San Antonio where everyone is packing it seems...lol

I'm not trying to prove anything here just to say that guns is not really the problem.

But the area classifications are arbitrary to the argument if you can just buy a gun elsewhere and drive it into the area with stricter gun controls. The regulations sort of mean nothing if they are that easy to bypass.

But I do agree. Guns aren't the problem. They can't self actuate. The real problem is people with guns and intent to use them. Remove any one of those things and gun deaths must drop significantly.

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Armed to the teeth and still loosing. Perhaps you need a better argument for guns.

I really wish there were some way you could encounter a pack of razorbacks and survive... you have less than zero knowledge of what you are talking about. But there's not... you'd be pig slop before you could tell them they are being "uncivilized."

I guess it's nice that you have managed to kill off everything that could threaten a human. Very "civilized" of you. I thought that was considered a no-no in ecological circles, but I could be wrong.

TheRedneck

(post by ziplock9000 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Some may question the danger but we did have a lady killed by ferel hogs here a month or so ago.

I was in Aransas NWR last week and hogs had torn up a grass picnic area there. The animals go just about anywhere rooting for food.

Some of the hunting dogs take some pretty good hits also.
edit on 12/27/2019 by roadgravel because: add link

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join