It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if you had a list of secret government employees???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
If you were a database worker in a large firm (Say EE&G or Wackenhut), and let's say that you were able to extract personal information about the CEO or any other employees. if they use software to track this, such as payroll and HR software, could this be used for ill-gotten gain?

Is there a great risk and aren't there employees in charge of protecting this type of intrusion? It is reasonable that if a breach such as this occured, could you not sell a list of employees to someone who may wish to cause them harm or have personal information for kidnappings of family and such? I know that many movies and books have been written about 'lists' that are in the open.

Would there be "National Security" concerns if the names of all of their employees in the states and overseas were released on a Internet site? If you were a 'security op' or 'analyst' working for Haliburton or Wackenhut, would you want the peole you were fighting to know your personal details??

A situation occured recently and it raised alot of questions for me. Thanks.

PS This has nothing to do with hacking.....

[edit on 8-3-2005 by esdad71]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
you would be in some deep doodoo if you did. if it was protected information, because most of that is now (HIPPA), you'd be committing a felony. if anyone died because of it, i'm sure you'd be charged with accessory to murder or conspiracy charges. have a nice day.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I understand that it is a felony, it is just something that I was really shocked about and suprised had never been attmepted before.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   

If you were a database worker in a large firm (Say EE&G or Wackenhut), and let's say that you were able to extract personal information about the CEO or any other employees. if they use software to track this, such as payroll and HR software, could this be used for ill-gotten gain?

SCI....SCI....

Sensitive Compartmentalized Information... Simply put, if you didn't have a need to know, you wouldn't just see it on database somewhere... Only those in that Security Compartment would be privy to the data. Other compartments would just get the dollar totals, etc. I seriously doubt that covert operatives or their employers report funds to the IRS, hehe...likely direct wire transfers...

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
As a DBA who works for a company that has all sorts of personal and financial data about over 14 million people, I can say with relative certainty that the difficulty in obtaining a job with a high level of security where you are responsible for extremely sensative data will offset almost any benefit you'd receive for releasing that info.

I would never do anything like that simply because of my character, beliefs and morals.

But even if there were DBA's that were less scrupulous, I believe we as a lot are a distinct group. We like to do what we do. Things like not ever being able to be employed as a DBA again would pretty much deter anyone in that position.

Phae

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Good post [ esdad71 ] Interesting topic and interesting reply by Gazrok. What if you you had a friend who was privy to the information in the Security Compartment and he or she for whatever reasons wanted to turn bad? I would guess there would only be several people (in the know) who would be interested in the personel info. It would be a very tempting and potential area to exploit. With the right info. on a person(s), it could make you very rich but the downside to that would be it could land you in jail for a veeerrrry long time or dead. Info. of the type we are talking about, could also have National Security implications for whoever actually has the info.
It would be so tempting that the agency behind it and their H.R. center and protocols would likely be able to weed out any marginal or possible employee before actually being put in that situation.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Would you consider the SSN, home address, dependants names, cell phone numbers and in some cases pictures of a CEO of major security or arms research corporation sensitive? I am not talking about credit fraud, I am talking about personal info that certain groups may want for kidnappings or private attacks.

If you knew, would you contact the company?

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Capturing a list of peoples names would be an incredible piece of blackmail to have. You store it in a bank, under a diferent name and make sure there is no record of you going in there. And just tell your lawyer to (in secret) release the names of 2 of the people on the list. If that doesnt show the government (or whomever) then nothing will. But the fact is that you would still have most of the names left and they would know you are serious. Also after time the gov. would cover up the names so you would just trade in those names for amnesty from the government.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
In my experience, bona-fide DB back-ends containing confidential or restricted data entities are encrypted and any results returned from a (raw) query are returned encrypted too

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
You can purchase many programs that have an option to encrypt, which will produce garbage when attempting to view.

The reason i have askedi s that somone close to me told me the story that they had come across a list of over 9,000 employees for a Major military contractor, and found it extermly odd that the information includes firefighters and security personel in Iraq. I was quite disturbing that the company he named actualy released the data. HE wanted to know if he should contact them and I said no. walk away, no harm no foul.....

new topics

top topics

join