It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does the US give billions in aid to foreign nations each year?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Is it to sell influence over other nations? Have leverage? Perhaps if we give this money, we will force a specific action or behavior? To get a specific outcome?

No it must be from the goodness of each and every americans heart... sure we have the national debt, rampant homelessness, healthcare and infrastructure issues, but it’s because we’re just such darn good folks.

This whole qid pro quo thing seems quite contrived, ignoring the factor of trumps “guilt” or “innocence” is it not the specific purpose of providing aid to harbor influence over another nation?

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   
So we can quid pro quo them into submitting to our will.

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Rob808

Giving aid is a national policy to get other countries to do the right thing. It is not to personally help a corrupt politician get dirt on his political opponent.

Pretty simple.

Give a country some money to encourage democracy, or allow them to fight off an enemy.

Not: "Tell the press you are investigating Joe Biden and his son, because he is going to whip my ass in November..."

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 08:30 AM
link   

It's almost infantile to think the amount of money is the issue. It's what you're spending it on and how your success rate is that matters.
....not looking good....

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: KrankBruder

Giving aid is a national policy to get other countries to do the right thing. It is not to personally help a corrupt politician get dirt on his political opponent.

Pretty simple.

Give a country some money to encourage democracy, or allow them to fight off an enemy.

Not: "Tell the press you are investigating Joe Biden and his son, because he is going to whip my ass in November..."

But what happens when "investigating Joe Biden and his son" is "the right thing" to do?
edit on 24-12-2019 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   
A good portion of the aid goes to US contractors. These contractors then donate large sums to political campaigns.

It's about 1% of the Federal budget. A better solution would be to a give US taxpayers options on their tax returns. Let them designate where this 1% goes, foreign and domestic.

For me, no money would go to PBS, NPR, Planned Parenthood or any theocracies. Contractors would also be banned from donating to political campaigns. Most Americans hate foreign aid but nothing we can do about it unfortunately under the current system. Our tax dollars go wherever they tell us it's going.

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Come on.. Would trump even mention biden's son if biden was not running for president under the democratic side, and rather a Republican senator?

I think not!

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Has Trump ever "done the right thing?"

If you can't see what is going on, after all the news reports and public testimony, then I am certainly not going to change your mind on this right-wing board.

I will have to respectfully say I am not capable of understanding your position. However, Trump is a corrupt president, and Americans should remove him in the lawful way that your government provided for. It looks like your Senate will not do that for political reasons, however, I believe the American people will in the next election. If that does not happen, then the world will only have 4 more years of suffering this fool.

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   

In the case of israel, do they have more influence over us or do we over them? They seem to do what they want and spend millions to lobby and influence our politicians.

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: KrankBruder

Democrats have been looking to impeach trump at any cost so it's hard to believe any of them when they say we need to impeach trump over Ukraine.

And i believe trump supporters don't want to admit he did anything wrong because that gives Democrats ammo.

If Democrats had not been aiming to behead trump since he was first elected, then maybe the American people might believe there is true reason to impeach him.

However, this whole thing just turned into a political circus.

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Yes and yes. Historically it has been, you fight, you conquer, you own. One person could pull that off for a short period of time, across a limited area, but as the control attempts continued to spread out, severe weaknesses in the system, leading to breaks and fissures occured. Much has not changed. You either buy them or you kill them,

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   

If you can't see what is going on, after all the news reports and public testimony, then I am certainly not going to change your mind on this right-wing board.

I will have to respectfully say I am not capable of understanding your position. However, Trump is a corrupt president, and Americans should remove him in the lawful way that your government provided for. It looks like your Senate will not do that for political reasons, however, I believe the American people will in the next election. If that does not happen, then the world will only have 4 more years of suffering this fool.

"It looks like your Senate will not do that for political reasons"

Look man, this whole process is political, not criminal. The House impeachment articles are a result of a completely biased political process....the acquittal in the Senate will be a biased political process as well.

Checks and balances are working as intended

edit on 24-12-2019 by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

Democrats have been looking to impeach trump at any cost so it's hard to believe any of them when they say we need to impeach trump over Ukraine.

And i believe trump supporters don't want to admit he did anything wrong because that gives Democrats ammo.

If Democrats had not been aiming to behead trump since he was first elected, then maybe the American people might believe there is true reason to impeach him.

Gave you a star because I agree 100%.

Only one point - Dems started to look hard at Trump before he was inaugurated because the info leaked out that he was helped by the Russians. Not only the Dems, but the entire country.

Now Trump got caught trying to use the Ukraine to help him in the next election. The only question is: how pissed will Americans get about their president trying to manipulate the next election. I guess not much. Your Senate is going to let him off, I hear. So sad to watch at great country die.

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Come on.. Would trump even mention biden's son if biden was not running for president under the democratic side, and rather a Republican senator?

I think not!

That is an irrelevant and highly speculative question if "investigating Joe Biden and his son" happens to be "the right thing" to do.

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Star for that truth.

However, can't we do better?

In our personal live we don't do this.

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Yes, you pretty much summed it up.

which makes this entire impeachment thing absurd.

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

I think not!

That is an irrelevant and highly speculative question if "investigating Joe Biden and his son" happens to be "the right thing" to do.

Give it up.

We all know why he asked for an announcement. He cared nothing for the actual investigation, just wanted a headline.

Are you so daft, or pilled, or whatever they say on the chans, that you cannot admit what happened?

Because you do know what he did.

You just won't admit it, and use the talking points to confuse truth.

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   

This I think sums it up

Americans belive it or not really dont like seeing people treated unfairly and weather he his guilty or not is not the issue it's that they have been trying to impeach him before he ever had a chance to break a law

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Dude, worry about YOUR country and get your head out of your rear. We do not want or need your sympathy.

US under Trump has strongest economy in the world and in decades.

Lowest unemployment ever.

Strongest military.

Not involved in any further stupid wars and withdrawing from the neocon wars of the past 2 decades.

We still have healthcare if we choose it but there is no mandate!

So, go blow it out yer arse. We are doing just fine.

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa

"It looks like your Senate will not do that for political reasons"

Look man, this whole process is political, not criminal. The House impeachment articles are a result of a completely biased political process....the acquittal in the Senate will be a biased political process as well.

Checks and balances are working as intended

Star for truth.

I read an article about your system of each state getting 2 senators. This favors rural areas, who are vastly over represented, and the rural areas are conservative, white, and not very well educated. You have an inbalance in your political system. I think you might want to address it soon.

I grew up rural. Nothing wrong with it. I love rural America, the way I love the mountains of Austria. But I don't base my political ideas on what a sheep herder tells me, because I went to university to learn how to do research for myself.

The American system is deeply flawed with a republican system that unfairly represents some states with an amount of representation in the Senate. You folks need to fix this. Otherwise, a bunch of "fly over" states with very few people have a power over you that is un-democratic.

The American experiment seems to be coming to an end. Time for me to get my house in Canada. At least they are polite.
edit on 24-12-2019 by KrankBruder because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join