It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangerous Seismic Activity is Happening on the West Coast

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Don't panic.

Easy for you to say Mr. Phage sitting from where? Florida I believe it is?
I was reading up on Chris Goldfinger. And according to him it's way
past time to panic for the pac north west. About 60 to 65 years past
for a subduction zone with full margin rupture intervals at 250 yrs.

The last one occurring in 1700 according to Japanese records and
NI oral history that coincides. That's just enough time for a large
civilization to populate the area unwittingly. And suffer great
consequences for doing so.So with all the respect I can give and
I mean that. The pacific north west is absolutely doomed to suffer
mind numbing devastation at some point. Surely you know that.

I appreciate someone with knowledge giving a heads up. Don't
see it from many.
edit on 24-12-2019 by carsforkids because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: carsforkids

Florida I believe it is?

Nope. More south.

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Someone who is on Hawaii/Japan should be alert, in case big one hit west coast. Tsunami is gonna devastate. I'm ready whenever this hit, I have the atv and filled full of gas along with extra tank of gas. I'm more well prepared than 95% people here who aren't. Ya never know.

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: whiteblack

Being in Hawaii gives me 3, 4 hours to go...somewhere.
West coast of the US, much less time but more places to go.

posted on Dec, 25 2019 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: BlueJacket

For what its worth, my wife heard from family and friends up in Washington that they saw " Earthquake lights" last night.

That's a pretty vague terminology. And often noted after the fact.
Are you on the coast?

Impossible to avoid stating the EQ lights happened until they happen. Right?

Why do some keep postings that seemingly are ignoring facts or a fail to understand the fact, IDK but i suspect failure is not an option and it is the pretending it isn't real as if that will work?

I think that unless someone had a real time machine, no way to know it is fact before it is a fact. IDK if a real time machine exists, but if one did exist it is possible that someone could then correctly say it happened before the fact.

posted on Dec, 25 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Any chance of this thread getting back on topic? I mean go dig up some info on the Explorer Plate or something, and perhaps tell me why you don't think this could affect the Cascadia Fault given the relative plate motions. Ok sorry, that might be asking a bit much.

And Phage, geez man, when you gonna give me something on topic to discuss?
edit on Wed Dec 25th 2019 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

have there been any promising work with prediction based on events such as you are listing now? We always have the anecdotal things like lights in they sky, whales beaching themselves, and so on, none of which seem to be solid indicators of anything. I was just curious as to if we are any closer to a warning system for the West coast. and thanks for your work and dedication here.

posted on Dec, 25 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

have there been any promising work with prediction based on events such as you are listing now? We always have the anecdotal things like lights in they sky, whales beaching themselves, and so on, none of which seem to be solid indicators of anything. I was just curious as to if we are any closer to a warning system for the West coast. and thanks for your work and dedication here.

You're Welcome.

Another smaller quake coming in as we speak, so the fault is clearly still moving, and still a threat.

As to your question, yes, an early warning system of a huge swath of Ocean Bottom Seismometers all along that fault out at sea has been proposed, and they are trying to raise the interest and funds for it.

posted on Dec, 25 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican Brother man, it is a subduction zone. It is always dangerous. Why after knowing what the area is and people live there yet are reasons beyond my comprehension. It's doomed to happen eventually. It's not an if, but a when.

posted on Dec, 25 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Why is it "dangerous"? Everyone I talk to from California says they have regular tremors. It's part of life there.

Man, you really have no clue about anything, do you?

Earthquakes kill people. FYI.

Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 25 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   

a reply to: whiteblack

Being in Hawaii gives me 3, 4 hours to go...somewhere.
West coast of the US, much less time but more places to go.

Surfs up bro! Ride the wave into the mainland!

posted on Dec, 25 2019 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I mean go dig up some info on the Explorer Plate or something, and perhaps tell me why you don't think this could affect the Cascadia Fault given the relative plate motions.

Like this:

In this article, a case is made for very-large or primary seismogenic structures in convergent margins, based on anomalous large earthquake magnitudes (Mw 8 - 9) relative to rupture lengths. Out of 56,293 earthquakes (magnitudes ≥ 5) cataloged worldwide, the 10 largest events in transform, divergent, and interior settings average magnitudes of 7.3 - 7.6. But in convergent margins, the average magnitude of the 10 largest events is 8.5, roughly 32 times more energy than the other neotectonic settings. The large anomalous magnitudes of energy release in convergent margins are attributed to the transfer of inter-plate stress to the upper-plate, where convergent elastic strain is accumulated during interseismic intervals.

This is saying that in relation to fault rupture lengths, areas of convergent margins (where plates are moving together) produce more energy per quake when compared to quakes of similar rupture length elsewhere.

This is particularly dangerous in the Cascadian seismic zone because of this:

A broad source region of coseismic energy release in the Cascadia primary seismogenic structure (300 - 450 km width) could yield stronger shaking in interior metropolitan centers from a future major rupture of the mega-thrust than has been modeled from a narrow “locked” zone located offshore under the outer continental shelf. Despite low dip angle and associated wide inter-plate coupling, the Cascadia margin likely serves as an example of inter-plate shear stress transfer to elastic strain accumulation in the upper-plate of some other well-coupled convergent margins worldwide.

In other words, current damage models might not be accurate due to what this study shows.

This map shows the relevant area:

Location map for the Cascadia convergent margin, as composed of the Juan De Fuca plate segment (central Cascadia margin), the Explorer plate segment (northern Cascadia margin), and Gorda plate (southern Cascadia margin). We focus on the area from 41˚N to 50˚N and 117˚W to 127.5˚W.

Cascadia Convergent Zone: An Example of Primary Convergent Seismogenic Structure

posted on Dec, 25 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican

As to your question, yes, an early warning system of a huge swath of Ocean Bottom Seismometers all along that fault out at sea has been proposed, and they are trying to raise the interest and funds for it.

What are the probabilities of it working and how much of an early warning do you think could be achieved? Oh, and what would be the cost?

posted on Dec, 25 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   

a reply to: carsforkids

Florida I believe it is?

Nope. More south.

Someone finally throw you in Gitmo Phage? Did you bring a towel?!

Aside from that. yes if anyone knows the history around those parts its pretty much a given something is going to go off. More of the not the Where, but the When. Same as other areas. Those States riding the fault line along the Mississippi River could have themselves a real problem as well at some point in time.

That EG in DC a few years back I felt in my chair all the way up in Rhode Island. That wasnt even that big if I recall. Who would expect one from that area?

I am in Fla and you'd have to be an idiot to not have some sort of preparations going into the hurricane season. I've been watching the sea eat the coastline right up over the years. Fort Lauderdales beach is almost all but gone now.

Mother nature will do what she wants when she wants. Best you can do is have some sort of plan and apparently a towel.

edit on 12/25/19 by onehuman because: added thought

posted on Dec, 25 2019 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

There are some up-and-coming though still rather rudimentary ways to predict earthquakes at this time. Here is a link to a little of the info from a site called quakewatch.net :

youtu.be...

The music is a little cheesy, but at least they seem to be starting to be able to predict some quakes before they happen. I think this OP is onto something, watching Cascadia right now … and if you couple what has been said already in this thread with solar activity, and high / low pressure atmospheric systems on Earth, maybe it will help to 'predict', but nothing seems 100% yet. Far from it!

And considering all that, we should be thankful for the OP for starting this thread, because for right now, he / she has shared some great information, and YES this is worth watching for the next potential developments. Who would pooh pooh or even ignore a series of 6+ quakes anywhere near Cascadia? Only the ill-advised!

edit on 25-12-2019 by Fowlerstoad because: added the last couple lines

posted on Dec, 25 2019 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the tremors that are occurring be considered as an easing of the pressure of the plates grinding past each other? Surely, the real signal would be that of increasing magnitude as the grinding becomes stuck and releases with more energy, and then sticks again, and so on, until it takes the energy of a big slip to release the pressure?

When there are no tremors (even micro tremors), is that not when a) rock is not grinding against rock, or b) that one of the plates is stuck and beginning to warp and bend getting ready to snap? Do seismologists measure pressure build up, because that would be one of the better indicators that a big slip might occur?

I would think that different types of rock would possibly have their own pressure limits when they break apart due to input of external energy? The motion at the subduction zone could be considered as the application of external energy, but I would also think that the plates grinding past each other only touch at small points along the line, and not touch all along the line at the same time. Small touching points will (or should) only give small magnitude tremors as they break. The big slip that has the potential to occur is when the small points join together, expanding the mass of the line that might slip, which if it does slip as one, can be expected to send out a higher energy jolt. The shock waves produced that travel through the rock strata must be proportionate to the density and mass of the slip?

Then again, I could be wholly wrong?

posted on Dec, 25 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Where we are at is basically this:
Many scientists, as it would appear from posts over at the PNSN, are of the opinion that these quakes for the most part do not constitute a threat to triggering the CSZ. But yet when you look into various documents, others are concerned, and especially at the northern part of it, because of the complexity of the junctures of the JDF, Explorer, and NA Plates. The Explorer Plate is basically getting crushed, and these quakes, they are saying, are just more releases of that stress, and are of no concern.

Ok. I get it. But I refuse to go the way of Japan. What I am saying we cannot be so smug in our beliefs to disregard the simple fact that large, increasing magnitude seismicity is occurring LESS THAN 30 KM AWAY from the subduction zone. In Japan, that 7.2 that triggered the 9.0 was WAY further away from that one, and just look what happened.

My point and warning is quite simple. This IS dangerous seismicty, if nothing else, because of the sheer close proximity of these quakes to the subduction zone. For all they know, back in 1700 it may have been exactly a situation like this that triggered the last one.

As I've said so many times: science can only take you so far. I will stress it again- I am not spreading fear, but alertness to the situation. Let us NOT go the way of Japan.

posted on Dec, 25 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I live in the Vancouver area, and people are starting to say, why are the experts telling us not to be concerned, like people are starting not to believe it. In the program, "Monster Quake: Are We Next," the experts said the Japan quake couldn't happen, and the admission came straight from them. Excuse me, but 9 quakes is concerning.

posted on Dec, 25 2019 @ 08:35 PM
link   
on topic, yes''but....

I vote earthquake lights are on topic, objection over ruled....the reported e q lights were associated with the local. Seattle, I love you so....the whole place rolls in the s waves, we saw em coming up the street.....

I-5 was no good after that one....for 5 miles
edit on 25-12-2019 by GBP/JPY because: TEXAS TRADITION

posted on Dec, 25 2019 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Thanks for the thread!

Earlier we had one on the Olympic Peninsula which was a 2.7. I had observed that one as well as the Port Hardy EQ on both sites ESMC and PNSN.

PNSN has left me wondering why the Olympic Peninsula/Satsop quake info was removed from their Most Recent Earthquakelist:

2019-12-25 20:40:15.9 7hr 21min ago
47.21 N 123.30 W 2 2.7 OLYMPIC PENINSULA, WASHINGTON

ESMC has that one and the Port Hardy, Canada Explorer Plate listed minutes apart.

2019-12-25 20:38:52.8 7hr 23min ago 50.85 N 130.26 W 10 4.8 VANCOUVER ISLAND, CANADA REGION

Also, haven't seen mention--besides listing on the EQ sites and news- of the quake that happened on the Cascadia Fault 4.9(163km W of Port Hardy, Canada-PNSN ) in the area next to the The Explorer Plate quakes which was clearly influenced by the first quakes.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join