It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would YOU have done???

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Same for huskies. Most who met one find them cute and funny but most of it, not all, is really disturbed behavior. These are pack animals more than the average house dog. They are working dogs, they need the work or they go crazy. Just have them roaming around is not enough either. They were bred for exhausting work and they need it for their sanity.

I am not saying every husky owner is like that. For sure there are very responsible owners that know how to handle them correct. Most that I have seen, not. They bought them because of funny videos or how they talk.

Belgian shepherd. A wonderful bred of dog, smart, energy, agile. If you do not train them and give them a purpose, they go insane.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
a reply to: ketsuko

Oh, we have animal control in the country big time. There are so many agencies that will get into your business when it comes to animals, whether it is a dog, livestock, or wildlife. Farm animals are under close scrutiny, and animal control they just love getting calls from disgruntled neighbors.

My folks have tried to get animal control out numerous times where they are at, and it just doesn't happen, not in a timely fashion.

They have a sick or diseased or injured critter? If they can't take care of it themselves, then they better not count on animal control. They've been told point blank to handle it or wait for several days.

You better believe they have a gun.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Oleandra88

I agree with you, except the dog was not killed because of his breed. He was not killed because he was a threat. He was killed because it strayed into the yard of the man next door, and he was not on leash.

He made it very clear in his actions and in his note, that he did take the time to take to the owner's house to taunt him.

I think everyone agrees that a dangerous animal that threatens another, or creates fear for safety of life, limb, and property, if taken down, it would be considered justifiable.

What this man did was something completely different, and this is why all the other ifs and possibilities don't work.

He lost the benefit of all doubt, the moment he put that note and the dog collar in his neighbor's mailbox.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

That post had nothing to do with the killing itself.
It was a side post to talk about husky and other dog breeds that are unwise to get for unexperienced people.

The bred does not matter. I am not sure what else you read from me, so I give you a chance to read up on it:

Add: ...before I reply because you might agree with me even...
edit on 23-12-2019 by Oleandra88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   

That sounds more like the wildlife division around here. Trying to get a response from them is indeed a timely if not futile venture. But with pets, and farm animals, it is a completely different. Probably because they aren't going to get any money out of dealing with a wild critter.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 08:45 PM
link   

My Mom had a pure bred Siberian, Czar was his name. That dog wanted to pull, or run, until he croaked. His strength and instinct was amazing...but my Mom was just this 65 year old woman without an ounce of fat on her body. Mom was fit, but this dog would just drag her, literally, around the neighborhood.

Czar didn't like little kids (at all). He would run up to them and start snapping his jaws. I saw this "once", when he had a neighborhood kid cornered and was acting like he was going to feast on him. That was it! Czar was going out in the desert to meet a .44 magnum. I manhandled him up into my truck and chained him in there (he bit me badly, twice, and I was bleeding), when my Dad came home. He saw what was going on and told me to stop!

Dad told me to leave him alone, and I did. Czar bit both my dad and my mom, both badly. I had to go to the hospital for my bites, he got me bad. Mandatory impound, if you showed up at the hospital with a serious dog bite.

Impound said the dog was not stable. He was "dangerous", they said...and he was. Who was I mad at??

I was mad at Mom for letting him become that way. I'd seen many Huskies who were not like this at all, but he'd been allowed to go crazy. This was in Wyoming, and it was winter, where it gets so cold you'll forget your momma'. He apparently did too. Sorry, Czar, that your mom didn't raise you better, but rest in peace, buddy!

Who was to blame? Not the dog, that's for damn sure! This was a powerful animal, and a tough one. AND...he was one of OUR dogs...and he got put down for the kid thing.

Sometimes, people just need to understand their "sweetheart" is not a 'sweetheart' to others, and when this happens it is imperative these same people keep their dogs under control.

Sad story, I know.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

It happens with cats too.

My folks have a monstrosity of a marmalade and white cat named Clyde. That thing is crazy unstable and only really gets along with the two of them and sometimes isn't even sure about them. My husband tried to move him once and got badly laid into, possibly bitten in the process, but it was dark so we were never sure.

Husband wound up in the ER the next day with a raging infection though. He would have gotten stitches had we taken him in right after it happened, but they left him unsewn because of the time factor and all the swelling. But as we were driving back home the day after Clyde laid into him, I could visibly watch the red streaks climbing my husband's arm.

And my folks still have him ... he's not fat and he weighs an easy 20lbs. Thankfully, he's old and mellowing somewhat with his old age. But no one messes with Clyde.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

You're not wrong. I owe an apology and a star.

You owe me nothing I should learn not to be so passionate around here.
I' stand by my post because as an adult I feel we all realize
saying what you would feel like doing in text on these boards.
Would most likely be completely different in the real world.

In the real world I bury my dog first.
edit on 23-12-2019 by carsforkids because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I am sorry. I thought you were making a connection to the OP with your post.

As far as your post separate from the OP, I read it and I do agree that no one should get a pet that they are not knowledgeable of, or how to care for it.

Every pet comes with its own set of challenges. The best of the experienced pet owners will tell you that everyone is different and you make the accommodations that are necessary as needed.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I am not an expert on husky but I trained my dog to Sch3 and we went through the exam with 98/100 points. I know a bit about how dogs tick.

Husky can be very protective but also dominant and challenging. Since they are used to live in packs they also need at least two other mates to get the domination thing regulated. They are used try to fight for their place in the pack so it is only natural that older ones get more challenging.

It can happen with any breed of dog that was bred for working. The more drive they have, the more you have to keep them busy and in their world.

My dog once chewed away around 1/4th of a wooden door. The fields were frozen shut and nobody could go training because the ice would make their paws bloody. It lasted over two weeks until it thawed away and in the last week she (the dog) was so frustrated and full of energy she chewed away that 1/4th of a door. it was not even closed, she just needed a way to compensate her drive.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Friends of my wife had this beautiful (huge) tabby Tom...and he was mean as a hornet. Predatory even. We stayed at their house once and this cat actually stalked me. You couldn't leave the room without him coming after you...and he was looking for blood!

They said he was the nicest cat in the world and wouldn't hurt a flea...but they also said their vet refused to treat him because he was flat out "dangerous"! (and they thought this was just hilarious). This cat was crazy!

I warned them I wouldn't put up with too much of 'crazy cat', but my wife told me to calm down...UNTIL, the cat chased her down the hall when she go up to use the bathroom in the night. This cat wanted BLOOD!!! He was MEAN! He was sitting there waiting for you to come out of the closed room, and then he'd attack! No play attacks either, just straight up biting and serious attack! It was fun for him.

That was the last time we ever saw my wife's friends. This cat was bad ju-ju!!! FULL-ON!!

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Nothing to be sorry about. I even agree when you say it was uncalled for. Sometimes having the right to something and exercising it, may be lawful but not the best from a moral perspective.

The difference is when we start to disrespect these rights others are entitled to, because we let our feelings interfere. That is where we enter the slippery slope.

We have a saying, "masters do not fall from the sky" A bit shallow translated but it means that everyone needs to make their mistakes, to master something.

In this case that mistake from the dog owner led to the dog being killed. The shooter could have handled it different but who am I to judge that the situation allowed it?

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   

In this case that mistake from the dog owner led to the dog being killed

What exactly was the dog owners mistake again just to be clear?

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I have four. My 3 year old male and female are the parents of my year old female and male pups. There are no pack issues. The father is a lazy old lug that still leaves a small amount of food in his bowl with each feeding, for his pups get excited about.

I have zero aggression issues with any of them. No nipping, and as long as I walk them in the right combination, no pulling. They have more than ample space to burn off energy. Of course just like with humans, it is always the places that you are not allowed to go that are the most tempting.

I have heard all the horror stories about Huskies that have fallen victim to GOT and movie fans that got them, clueless of what they were getting. I had Rhodesian Ridgebacks for over 20 years before I rescued the Huskies. I knew what I was getting into.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   

OP think I'll make this my next dog.

Train him to go after Flyingclaydisks all day!

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: carsforkids

In this case that mistake from the dog owner led to the dog being killed

What exactly was the dog owners mistake again just to be clear?

The only actions you can control are your own.

We can say all we want that the neighbor who shot the dog was a dick, but the dog was out of his yard and on someone else's property.

As the dog's owner, it falls to you to do everything you can to keep your animal safe. You cannot control what your dickish neighbor is going to do on his own property, but you can control what goes on on your own. It's your responsibility to safeguard your dog, and the first step is to keep it on your property where you control what occurs. And if the dickish neighbor puts his foot or his firearm wrong at that point, you have far more legal recourse.

So, tl;dr version, it's a mistake to let your dog roam if you cannot keep him on your property when he does.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I get that Ket but if the neighbor just has to pick up the phone?
And what ever other variables might be the case my dog is just
be'n a dick in your trash? You can't keep your dog on a leash or a
chain or penned up 24/7 that's just cruel. i'd rather shoot him
my self so I know he didn't suffer.

Dogs get out once in while and if one my neighbors just shot
my dog right off the bat no discussion no amicable agreement.
Not do'n a damn thing but try'n to get to that half eaten Krispy
Kreme jelly roll your wife tossed in the garbage? And you shoot
my F#$%&^ dog? I'm sorry I'm most likely gonna nut up!

Dogs get out once in while it just happens and it isn't anybody's
fault. If my neighbor just wants to shoot my dog and that looks
to be what happened? Then I guess i'll have to run the devil out
of hell because be'n there won't make me stop love'n God.

People that know me don't mess with my family and my dog is
part of my family. You don't spit kick and you damn sure as hell
don't shoot my dog. My dog never even gets out but if he did
one time and somebody shot him?

Well why go thru all that again? I'm not gonna like it. You deal
with me when I'm at fault you come out ahead every time. You
just haul off and shoot my dog the deal is done.

I'll buy ya dog whistle rape whistle hell I'll buy ya whistle blower
just don't shoot my dog.
edit on 23-12-2019 by carsforkids because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 06:04 AM
link   

I did not want to hit you personally. I know if they are good balanced and around someone with knowledge, they are awesome dogs/friends.

Just saw too many idiot dog owners when I went through the Sch-stages.

Had a belgian shepherd until she died from old age, before that my parents had German shepherd dogs. When they died my uncle took in all three together with me. Always at least two and the third was the pup. The old ones teach the new. With the belgian shepherd being the last one and me not having enough time for two more, my aunty died and my uncle being sick, he legacy of that pack faded.

She liked to race my car, she got up to speeds above 50km/h for short sprints, such an amazing dog. Each day before I went to bed I would bend down to her basket and we would touch our foreheads. I was the only one except children who was allowed to hug her with both arms and even wrestle with her in play.

I miss her.

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: carsforkids
Not making sure the dog stays on the premise. It is not enough to just let them out and have a fence. If they scale or circumvent the fence it is the owners fault.

No one cares if the dog has super powers and can fly, the owner is responsible for it not roaming around.

Our dogs were trained to not leave the premise. Road curb was the border. There was one little roaming dog, a Dachshund, who daily stopped behind the other side of the road and barked at our dogs. They did not leave the premise.

If they had, we would have had a problem. Until one day, that little punk dog decided it would be smart to cross the imaginary curb border. I was laying in the garage under my car doing work at the fuel lines when it happened, saw it all from under the car.

The big white one we had, alpha dog, charged at the dog and until I could get out from under the car with the slide wagon, it grabbed it by the neck, twisted the dog around and threw that dachshund a couple of meters through the air until it smashed on the road. I ran up to it to get it from the street, charged back half way to get the welding gloves in case it bites. It went up in its own, tail on the belly, darted away.

I never saw that dog in our street again but it lived for a few more years.

So now you tell me, was it my dogs fault, the dachshunds fault or was the owner god damn responsible to keep his animals in check?

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: carsforkids

I get all that, but again, you can't control what your neighbor does. And your neighbor has certain rights on his property.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join