It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A knighthood for Nigel Farage?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The Daily Express is running a poll.
www.express.co.uk... ester&utm_source=twitter

I

NIGEL Farage could be in-line for a knighthood in the Queen’s New Year’s Honours list after a Tory MP urged the Prime Minister to reward the Brexit Party leader. What do you think?

Actually "after" is defnitely misleading. If an honour for Nigel was being announced in the next List. it would have been decided some time back, offered and privately accepted, so any campaigns for or against now are beside the point.

If you check Twitter on #Nigel or #SirNigel, you will see that the very suggestion is launching angry reactions, including apparently on breakfast TV.

Leaving aside whether it's a good thing, I can see reasons why it might be implausible.
For one thing, the rumour that it's happening could be wish-fulfilment on the part of those who would like it to happen.
For another, I don't think Boris really likes Nigel (or vice-versa). Part of the object of the whole Conservative Brexit campaign right from the announcement of the referendum has been to prevent Nigel from destroying the Conservative party, and nerves were raw even at the last election. Nigel had to be talked out of directing hostilities against both main parties.
Again. announcements for honours are normally made as rewarding "service" in some sphere of life, e.g. industry, sport. Bradley Wiggins, for winning the Tour de France, but officially "for services to sport". How could the wording possibly be framed in Nigel's case? Services to what, exactly? For doing down Mr. Tusk? Not very diplomatic. Helping to defeat the Labour party? Not usually a valid reason.

edit on 23-12-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

a knight hood is bestowed with a sword - off with its head

her magesty - is a bit old and frail to be-head cockwombles .

i would do it - pro bono

" for the good of the realm "

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape
I apologise for the fact that I originally posted with the default message, the usual newbie trick, and had to scramble to catch up before the thread got deleted.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

For another, I don't think Boris really likes Nigel (or vice-versa). Part of the object of the whole Conservative Brexit campaign right from the announcement of the referendum has been to prevent Nigel from destroying the Conservative party, and nerves were raw even at the last election. Nigel had to be talked out of directing hostilities against both main parties.

Liking or not liking someone doesn't detract from what they have achieved

and whether pushing or pulling Nigel Farage has done more than anyone to

get the UK out of the EU.

Again. announcements for honours are normally made as rewarding "service" in some sphere of life, e.g. industry, sport. Bradley Wiggins, for winning the Tour de France, but officially "for services to sport". How could the wording possibly be framed in Nigel's case? Services to what, exactly?

For solidly working harder than anyone to get the UK out of the EU

so as to make......in Trump's words *Britain Great Again*

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia
No, but it might diminish Boris' motivation to recommend him. I was considering probabilitiies.

As for the second point, I was wondering how they could put it in an official citation.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   
He's worked for 25 years to free our country from the EU, sometimes totally alone.
There are few people outside the military who have done more for Queen and Country than Nigel Farage.

Arise, Sir Nigel.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Farage has made himself a force in British politics over the years and is the father of Brexit , without his work for an independent Britain we probably wouldn't have had the Brexit vote , I can think of many less deserving of a Knighthood than Nigel Farage.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Would be a nice consolation prize for the seven times he failed to get elected an MP.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Well let me see.
A liar. Check.
Self serving. Check.
A self serving trouble maker. Check.
Cares nothing for the UK people. Check.
Never held a ministerial position. Check.
He'll fit right in with the house of Lords.
Of course you all forget this is payback for his shenanigans in the election. Well telling his Brexit party members to only fight seats to disrupt the Labour vote. Or probably you thought this shoe in would be forgotten.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Well let me see.
A liar. Check.
Self serving. Check.
Of course you all forget this is payback for his shenanigans in the election. Well telling his Brexit party members to only fight seats to disrupt the Labour vote. Or probably you thought this shoe in would be forgotten.

Ok, I will readily admit it as we're in the mudpit.
The greatest delight of Farage being knighted would be laughing at the reaction of people like you.

edit on 23/12/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: DISRAELI

Liking or not liking someone doesn't detract from what they have achieved

and whether pushing or pulling Nigel Farage has done more than anyone to

get the UK out of the EU.

Again. announcements for honours are normally made as rewarding "service" in some sphere of life, e.g. industry, sport. Bradley Wiggins, for winning the Tour de France, but officially "for services to sport". How could the wording possibly be framed in Nigel's case? Services to what, exactly?

For solidly working harder than anyone to get the UK out of the EU

so as to make......in Trump's words *Britain Great Again*

Correct!!

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
He's worked for 25 years to free our country from the EU, sometimes totally alone.
There are few people outside the military who have done more for Queen and Country than Nigel Farage.

Arise, Sir Nigel.

Farage is just a mouth, a lying one at that, and certainly not a believer in democracy, he's also a lazy sob who hardly went to the EU forum...except to make speeches...and he's still taking his hundred grand, which comes out of everybody's pocket.

You know nothing about him.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

Arise, Sir Nigel.

Farage is just a mouth, a lying one at that, and certainly not a believer in democracy, he's also a lazy sob who hardly went to the EU forum...except to make speeches...and he's still taking his hundred grand, which comes out of everybody's pocket.

Like I said - it would be wonderful for him to recieve a Knighthood.

But hey, thanks for your super insightful deep dive into who Farage is.

edit on 23/12/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Arise, Sir Nigel.

I'll put it this way, in the event of the 2016 referendum going against leaving the EU do you think Farage would have accepted the result, in the same way as he asked, 'Remoaners' to man up, and accept BREXIT?

Answer, Yes or No?
edit on 23-12-2019 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Considering how long he advocated for this... probably not, most likely would have continued advocating for it.

That said, wanting your country to maintain control over its own sovereignty rather than be beholden to an unelected red tape machine, there are worse things to push for.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Well let me see.
A liar. Check.
Self serving. Check.

The greatest delight of Farage being knighted would be laughing at the reaction of people like you.

And the greatest laugh I would have is watching you cream your pants with premature ecstasy when it happens, Oh nigel please nigel look at me, i love you nigel, your support for any and all politicians is bordering on insanity, do you hold normal people in such high regard, or is it posters of BJ, NF and DT on your bedroom wall?

Do you think him getting knighted would really mean anything to most sane people, it may mean you buy his new book and poster for your wall but for the rest of us, it would mean jack snip.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: smurfy

Considering how long he advocated for this... probably not, most likely would have continued advocating for it.

That said, wanting your country to maintain control over its own sovereignty rather than be beholden to an unelected red tape machine, there are worse things to push for.

'The unelected' are all MEP's who have been elected by their respective countries, and each country has a veto in regard to any legislation, where the EU parliament can block legislation not agreed upon. Farage was supposed to be such an entity, instead of using it for the good of his country..AND all the states, he was there just to rubbish everything no matter what, in a pretence of 'British sovereignty' instead of working with all the EU countries to make things better for all EU countries as a whole.

Thing is, the same domestic sovereignty would apply to all those countries in the EU, since they have their commissioners in place,

'Can the European Parliament block EU legislation that it does not agree with?
If the Council and the Parliament cannot agree upon amendments, a second reading takes place. ... Parliament has the power to block the proposed legislation if it cannot agree with the Council. If the two institutions agree on amendments, the proposed legislation can be adopted.' ...for instance.
www.politics.co.uk...

As for Farage...May 2016,

'Nigel Farage warns today he would fight for a second referendum on Britain in Europe if the remain campaign won by a narrow margin next month.
The Ukip leader said a small defeat for his leave camp would be “unfinished business” and predicted pressure would grow for a re-run of the 23 June ballot.

Farage told the Mirror: “In a 52-48* referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.” #
www.mirror.co.uk...

*Note that the 'narrow margin' quoted by Farage is almost identical to the actual vote that occurred, except it was a 'narrow margin' to leave instead of remain.

# However he also said a two thirds victory would end it.

That can only mean that Farage realised a proper quorum is the only right way to go, but what happened was the narrow victory to leave instead...Farage jumped on it anyway for the media, while he buggered off to the US to lick Trump's nether regions...without much success....Trump doesn't pay for services rendered.

edit on 23-12-2019 by smurfy because: Link.

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Answer, Yes or No?

No, I doubt it. However, if the vote had been to remain, bearing in mind it was close, the Remain majority in Parliament would have almost certainly worked to ensure no EU referendum was ever held again.

It would have been back to business as usual with the inexorable decline of UK sovereignty into a flawed EU that seems incapable of accepting the case for change, unless it suits the EU elites. Indeed, in the light of Brexit the EU seems to have accelerated the diminution of the member States.

Farage would have remained an important pan-EU force for those groups which resist the EU's opaque roadmap.

Oh, and the populist Scottish nationalists. Any old excuse for a referendum so would be demanding one anyway.

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown

Well let me see.
A liar. Check.
Self serving. Check.

And the greatest laugh I would have is watching you cream your pants with premature ecstasy when it happens, Oh nigel please nigel look at me, i love you nigel, your support for any and all politicians is bordering on insanity, do you hold normal people in such high regard, or is it posters of BJ, NF and DT on your bedroom wall?

Do you think him getting knighted would really mean anything to most sane people, it may mean you buy his new book and poster for your wall but for the rest of us, it would mean jack snip.

No, it would mean nothing to most sane people.
The only people who will really care - a lot - are those so butt hurt by it, that it becomes hilarious for the rest of us.

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Arise, Sir Nigel.

I'll put it this way, in the event of the 2016 referendum going against leaving the EU do you think Farage would have accepted the result, in the same way as he asked, 'Remoaners' to man up, and accept BREXIT?

Answer, Yes or No?

I'll answer how I like.
So here it is...
...it's irrelevant. We voted to leave and so we shall.
The undemocratic idea of a second vote is now a distant memory - thankfully.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join