It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Article Suggests Vanishing Stars May Be Alien Interstellar Communication Lasers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
A recent article states that some researchers in the scientific community are perplexed by the flickering lights and vanishing stars they've been observing in space over the last several decades.This article states that a recent study published in the Astronomical Journal suggested they could be from a technologically advanced civilization using "interstellar communication lasers."

In the past, scientists who were searching for supernova explosions, often observed extremely bright unexplained flashes that would disappear in as little as a week. A sustained pulse of light emitted from a supernova, lasts for several months.

Scientists say there are vanishing light sources, called “red transients,” which are stellar eruptions whose luminosity falls between novae and typical supernovae. However, the visible light from these types of eruptions only last for weeks or months, before becoming dimmer over time.

It's very rare to discover a short-lived light source and even a tougher task to explain why it happens. One explanation, is that these "vanishing stars" are actually a "failed supernova," which is when a very massive star collapses into a black hole without any visible explosion.

"Finding an actually vanishing star - or a star that appears out of nowhere! - would be a precious discovery and certainly would include new astrophysics beyond the one we know of today", says project leader Beatriz Villarroel, Stockholm University and Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias, Spain.

www.eurekalert.org...

“The implications of finding such objects extend from traditional astrophysics fields to the more exotic searches for evidence of technologically advanced civilizations,” the authors wrote in the study's abstract.

www.foxnews.com...

An interstellar communication laser system is something that scientists on Earth are interested in. Matter of fact, NASA has been developing a laser based communication system for some time now.

NASA’s Laser Communications Relay Demonstration (LCRD) is the next step in optical communications. Optical communications uses infrared lasers to send data to and from space. The technology will let NASA collect more science data and explore farther into the universe than ever before.

www.nasa.gov...

Perhaps advanced extraterrestrial civilizations have been using this type of communication system for thousands of years. After traveling through space at the speed of light, these laser pulses are just now being observed by scientists here on Earth.

Here's an interesting video clip about an optical system that SETI is using to locate laser pulses being emitted by an alien civilization:

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny
Excellent high quality post shawn!!

Sometimes you do find gems on ATS!

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I dont care what peeps say...NASA is the poop.

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The articles are not related, other than Fox News taking the eurekalert one and put it in a blender with the NASA one and got an “It could be aliens” milkshake. No experts said anything about communications lasers in the eurekalert article other than the people that observed this natural occurrence are also looking for interstellar communication lasers. Fox News needs better reading comprehention.
Fake news from Fox.

Lasers for interstellar communication is impractical. Lasers are highly directional and therefore incapable of broadcasting, sending a message to a large area. Lasers are limited to the speed of light like any radio wave.
In order to send a message to someone on alpha Centauri by laser. Compose message text, calculate where the planet at that star will be in 4.22 years when the message will get there. Aim and activate the transmitter system and send.

In 4.22 years, someone has to know the message is coming in, exactly from where and when. If they are not watching then the message is lost. They will have to go through all the steps in the transmission sequence as above to send a reply.
Reply comes in 8.44 years plus time to compose reply and transmit. You have to know exactly from where and when to expect the message in order to receive the reply.

Take the above example and multiply the time form another star in light years and you will get how useless interstellar laser commutation actually is. To send a message 1000 light years, you have to point the laser to where the receiver will be in 1000 years. The likelihood of someone there having the technology to receive it, be looking at the right place with a high power telescope fitted with a receiver, at exactly the right moment is ridiculous.

Communication links to orbital satellites and to the moon, no real problem there other than the time lag we already deal with. Laser lidar, no problem. It is just totally impractical for interstellar and most likely longer links within the solar system.

edit on 12 22 2019 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Interesting, but I don't think a communication "pulse" would last for weeks.

I find it more likely to be some natural event we don't know yet or an yet unknown variation of a known natural event than an artificial event.

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   
No....gentlemen.....Scripture mathematically proves we live in a simulation....and the Bible is a letter from beyond our domain. For instance repent , the word is found in Scripture 142 times or so, going from memory....he he

6 sets of 6 times it refers to man repenting.....then 7 sets of seven is God repenting......

If one transliterates Hebrew in the first three words of Bible.....one gets the entire story of history Biblically....in three words

The names of the decendants in the genealogy tell the same story with different details. Methuselah...why did he get a name that means " after he dies "....It is needed to tell the story of God and His creation.

The numerology of the Hebrew letters have 7 sevens in the seventy verses, idk and the consonants number 7 in the first seven words and 7 in the last 7 and 7 counting anywhich way you want in scripture....write the Hebrew backwards it spells 7. Stuff like that ....Chuck Missler can fill you in on yt!! Fun facts to know and tell....now let's talk math in Scripture.......brb

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

You speak of a book that the Romans plagiarized from Egyptians. Has been rewritten several times, once by Francis Bacon to be more poetic. Was from a 5000+ year old Egyptian book translated from Greek. You need to go beyond the superficial knowledge.

What does this have to do with interstellar communication?

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny

It's good to see that researchers are finally getting around to doing comparisons with the larger catalogs of old star images taken in the previous century. And they're enlisting AI to help, which should speed up the process by a lot. Interesting stuff to be found. Stuff we didn't even know we were looking for.

Doing a 3D free view of the above image, for instance, it appears that the star a 7 o'clock to the center blue square shifted slightly between images. What does it mean? Don't know. But the data is there in case it does eventually mean something in the future.

Vanishing stars? Ripples in spacetime? Gravity lensing anomalies? Something new a grad student can write a paper on.

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Why not a solar sail boost system. Seems like when the sail moves into the center of the laser it would block it. Be interesting to see if they reappear at any time or if they're a one off.

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Rather than communication, it could just be a good ol' Kardashev Type 2 civilization finally finishing a star enclosure. Intermittent appearances could be them venting off excess unused energy.

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Could be just aliens opening and closing wormholes. I could imagine they would flash due to the amount of power to create and close one.... or maybe just natural wormholes

or.... just two stars colliding... maybe some type of stellar collision.

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Very interesting. It's interesting that the way these space things often go is:

Might be aliens!
More research
Oh it's just ______

They always get my hopes up

edit on 22-12-2019 by hombero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Visible light or all known radio waves, x rays, Etc (That stars specific light spectrum) from those stars that have disappeared totally? Any remnants?

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Laser light, being coherent, is quite special and readily recognizable as such. Is there any indication that this source was actually emitting laser light?

An article about an essay written by someone I know.
www.coseti.org...

Dr. Rather's imagination is indeed, boundless.
edit on 12/22/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

I think you make a good point there...it has to be down to power, (electricity) and time, somewhere in the region of how much power to be used, as against how long you could use it in resource, in nanoseconds, rather than something that would fade over weeks when observed, while it's not clear as to how these transients are observed anyway, and probably not in visible light if LASER is a consideration.

edit on 22-12-2019 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   

S&F for an interesting thread topic.

I actually wondered the other day if a civilization could turn their sun into a beacon of sorts. Insert so some of message into what it emits. This would allow them to send the signal in all directions - thus avoiding the laser problem.

Makes me think we’re looking at the wrong things to receive a transmission.

On the other hand, of humanity is any model I suspect the galaxy/universe is a very dangerous place. Lots of bad actors with more advanced tech that can and will destroy you. May be better to not be found....

Ironically, If space is actually as hostile as I think it is then we have done it very wrong with above ground cities, tons of orbiting satellites, lights at night - it’s obvious to any passer by that we’re here. Maybe we haven’t found “them” as they know it’s better not to be found...

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I would say it is a definite possibility. We know so little about the universe!!! I think there is life all over the place out there, both as we know it, AND as we do not!! And some of it is visiting us regularly.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: hombero
Very interesting. It's interesting that the way these space things often go is:

Might be aliens!
More research
Oh it's just ______

They always get my hopes up

Well, they're not entirely wrong. It certainly might be aliens (providing they actually exist, of course). It might be a lot of things. It's interesting that these there are / have been apparently a number of these things, however. Give us enough repeating data, and we might be able to make some sense out of it. Even if it doesn't turn out to be aliens.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

I find it more likely to be some natural event we don't know yet or an yet unknown variation of a known natural event than an artificial event.

"Weeks" in our concept of time may be the blink of an eye in the Alien concept of time. The concept of "Alien" is exactly that...it is alien to our understanding and grasp of events and the nature of those events. I totally respect every opinion but I do believe in our human arrogance that we can explain everything.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Rather than communication, it could just be a good ol' Kardashev Type 2 civilization finally finishing a star enclosure. Intermittent appearances could be them venting off excess unused energy.

For a moment there, I read it as "Kardashian"!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join