It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Community of 50 3D Printed Homes Is Under Construction in Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 03:55 AM
link   
For those who have been to Mexico and seen government funded housing this could be a wonderful development. Last time I was in Mexico I looked at some of the government funded track homes. They were of a concrete block construction and the two rooms were barely 10 by 10 feet, No kitchen just a 10 by 10 room for whatever you were going to use for cooking. The other room was also 10 by 10 for your bedding.. The people paid a monthly rate for this crap that after a year they would have paid off the construction cost but the mortgage was 15 years.

Next thing that comes to mind is all the stories that say robots will take over many many jobs in the near future.. Well it would appear that the building industry is not immune either.

Last year, the first permitted 3D printed house in the US went up in Austin, Texas. The house was a buzz-generating proof of concept, a wacky example of the cool things tech can do. At the time, its creators—construction technologies startup ICON and housing nonprofit New Story—were raising money to fund construction of homes for low-income families in Latin America.

Now their proof of concept has turned into something much more concrete (pun intended): today, New Story announced construction of their first community of 3D printed homes, going up in Mexico’s southern state of Tabasco. There will be 50 3D printed houses once construction is complete, the first two of which were unveiled today.

At 500 square feet apiece, the houses aren’t terribly large, but they each have two bedrooms, a living room, kitchen, and bathroom. Houses are printed in around 24 hours’ time using a printer called the Vulcan II.

That is a Mansion compared to what I have seen in Mexico when talking government housing !
singularityhub.com...
youtu.be...

edit on 727ndk19 by 727Sky because: added video

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

These are so cool and a great idea should be adapted for our homeless problem in the US.

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 06:49 AM
link   

All of sudden living in Mexico is more profitable than living in America!

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   
3D printing birth control is a better solution.

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Government funded?

I love the idea of providing homes for the less fortunate, but not the less motivated at all.

I entirely reject the notion of "Government funded."

There is no such thing.

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   
thanks for posting

really really interesting

I wonder if this is the future of housing, at least low-income

would like one of these myself

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Here is a YT video from 2015 of a large 3D building in China

Here's an article from 2014 regarding houses in China being built via 3D printing www.bbc.com...

Here's a thread by Infolurker about 3D printed housing in China....from 2017. www.abovetopsecret.com...

One has to wonder why this is taking so long to catch on. Seems cheap, efficient, convenient...…

Well, except now if using concrete, it isn't environmentally friendly even though no countries are using less of it. Might as well provide housing while building those multi-million dollar sky scrapers.

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Government funded?

I love the idea of providing homes for the less fortunate, but not the less motivated at all.

There is no such thing.

If i had to choose between being afraid to go into certain area after dark because of the transients, or paying extra tax so that the state can given them basic accommodation, i know which i would choose.

Sometimes getting the state to clean things up is the least worst solution.

Its like choosing to give junkies free rehab. If it gets a percentage of them off of the streets for a tolerable amount of money its better than having them among the regular populace, and it might just clean a few of them up.

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero
thanks for posting

Something similar was tried a few years back, called tiny houses, which were high quality two or three room prefabs. But several states threatened to legislate against them and impose minimum size requirements for dwellings. Which torpedoed it.

I was looking into moving into one on a sustainable community in Canada, but i got cold feet in the end.

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Very cool,

How about buying a piece of land in the mountains and just have them 3D print a cabin, so how much does one of these cost? It seems even if they can only print 500 sq ft they could build a block of 4 with each a different part of the house for 2000 feet or 4000, 6000. My friend built a shipping container house out of about 40 of them. Its a very upscale house too.

edit on 22-12-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I wonder what matrix is used?

I have seen concrete "printers" so I am guessing this is it?

Either that or the worlds largest role of filament

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 06:15 AM
link   
So do these houses have proper ground works done for water in, waste out, electricity and or gas connection and drainage before being placed or are they more like a large solid tent just placed on and anchored to the ground?

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Government funded?

There is no such thing.

If i had to choose between being afraid to go into certain area after dark because of the transients, or paying extra tax so that the state can given them basic accommodation, i know which i would choose.

Sometimes getting the state to clean things up is the least worst solution.

Its like choosing to give junkies free rehab. If it gets a percentage of them off of the streets for a tolerable amount of money its better than having them among the regular populace, and it might just clean a few of them up.

I think there are ways to get businesses involved, neighborhoods involved, corporations involved, First of all when a company wants to build a mega office building, stadium or another huge project, require them to fund basic construction on a certain number of units in that same county or city. Saw where one city is paying homeless to pick up trash etc.
its problem that needs to be attacked by a number of ways not just one or 2. Then once you get a portion of this population together other resources can easily help them in whatever issues they are having

posted on Dec, 25 2019 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero
thanks for posting

I don’t want one of them but I agree with your other point - if we can build housing for very little at scale then this is fantastic.

We live in the 21st century. The fact we’re dealing with homelessness is ridiculous to me - no human should be without a home.

BUT... homelessness and addiction go hand in hand in modern America. Perhaps housing affordability isn’t the issue.

I’d buy my own thought if I didn’t know otherwise highly intelligent and highly compensated people who have serious drug addictions - and I don’t mean marijuana.

posted on Dec, 25 2019 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Tons of links on youtube about this project and machine. pretty cool technology could be a major game changer

new topics

top topics

join