It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wanted New System build advice

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

You'll have to test it out..

I do plan to.

Raid setup is kinda stupid from a driver standpoint.

I just hate that it will most likely be at least another week before I can begin building it.

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   
It is absolutely the last time I ever buy anything from Newegg.

Freggin ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Hopefully the tests go well.

And yeah. Shipping is just horrible during the holidays. Hopefully you'll get your parts soon.

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   
In regard to RAID: Even for everyday use RAID 0 with an NVME isn't a bad idea IMO.

In regard to X570 specific NVME? That Gen 4 tho. Some of those drives can hit 5 Gbps. Crazy fast.

In regard to NewEgg: I've had good experiences with them - but also one incredibly bad experience with a product that claimed 2 day shipping but then shipped from China. On a container ship. For weeks.

Depending upon the item - it might actually be an in stock situation. As I said earlier, Zen 2 parts are in pretty high demand and since July there have been runs on ( and shortages of ) Ryzen CPU's, x570 motherboards and even high end RAM... All due to Ryzen demand.

If it's any help - it's really worth the wait. Zen 2 is the first chip in years that delivered a performance increase for me that was noticeable in everyday use.

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   
My Ryzen processor is currently sitting at my local post office, but I doubt I will get it today.

Newegg has changed.

They use to be Johnny on the spot about things.

I don't know.

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   
My Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 was just delivered.

This thing is massive.

ETA:

MY 3950x was just delievered.

edit on 26-12-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   
The motherboard finally shipped.

Build day is 3rd or 4th of next year.

posted on Dec, 28 2019 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Os, Memory,Case came yesterday.

Thursday the PSU is suppose to come.

Friday the motherboard.

posted on Dec, 28 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Just bought a pair of 1080ti's for a good price.

Should arrive the same day as my Mobo.

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Psu, and a video card came today.

I prepped the case earlier today.

Tomorrow is build day which by going by delivery time today will be around this time tomorrow.

I'm tired of waiting and want to get this over with.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 07:17 AM
link   
A good trick is to use one of those lazy susans to do the build on as it'll save all that hassle of moving the case around so you can see where you want and thus reduce stress related accidents especially case related cuts.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I've been checking in with this thread daily. A bit of 16 core vicarious living, mixed with just a pinch of envy - but mostly just happy for ya Neo. Unless something goes horribly, horribly wrong I imagine that this will be a purchase you'll thoroughly enjoy and be proud of having made.

The Zen 2 chips really are amazing. One of those iterative jumps in tech that I think will be looked back upon as game changers.

For now most use cases won't show a quantum increase in performance. I mean budget smart phones, tablets and Chromebooks can load web pages, stream video and do the basics - quickly and effectively... And, for the moment, most games - even the most demanding ones - usually only harness a few cores, at most. Given that when you finally get it up and running, sit down and start enjoying your build - the benefits might not immediately be apparent.

But man oh man, when you finally do fire up something that can take advantage of those cores? It's pretty mind blowing. Like going to render something that would have taken you 20 minutes previously and watch as it gets down in 2 or 3 minutes.

It's a great feeling.

As for games... The upcoming console generation, at least the PS5 and Xbox Series X, are both based on Zen and will almost certainly have 8 core / 16 thread CPU's. This means that game devs are already shifting to / adapting engines that will take advantage of more cores. Those games will start trickling out relatively soon and, once they do, those high core counts will begin to offer a dramatic performance benefit.

You're gonna love it man. You've picked up an epic slice of silicon.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Still waiting on UPS.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Still waiting on UPS.

But Cable routing and management is done.

All that's left is putting the complete board in.

I am so effing mad right now.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Unless something goes horribly, horribly wrong I imagine that this will be a purchase you'll thoroughly enjoy and be proud of having made.

It did.

02 error code. and will not post.

Ordered before christmas.

Just fregging get it today, and NOW?

Still don't have snip.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Just created a RMA ticket.

Sending back the board.

What a freggin waste of my time.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Its the problem with build your own systems that if something goes wrong you end up having to arse around getting it fixed.

Did the MB have the right bios version to know about the 3950? some boards you can flash them to the latest revision without a working cpu/memory but for other you need something already known to boot up.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Tried everything.

Flashing bios to latest version.

Reseating everything including power cables.

Stuck on error code 2.

It's a thing as I found out when I searched for it on google.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 11:11 AM
link   
At least the 1080ti works.

And full bandwidth on PCIe 2.0.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Wish I'd have seen this earlier. My ASRock mobo had a similar issue ( hanging on debug code 02 ) on day one and it turned out to be a simple fix. It was just XMP not having a factory preset for my RAM ( Something I found odd as I'm using Corsair RGB Vengeance 3200 and not some off or uncommon brand ). A quick trip into the BIOS to select a generic XMP profile with the right speed and timings sorted things.

That said, a cursory Google search for ASUS debug codes seemed to indicate that such errors on their boards tend to be PCIE / GPU related - which muddies the waters.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join