It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wanted New System build advice

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: MarlbBlack

I'm aprehensive about going AIO water cooling.

I've never once turned my pc off since I built it.

Air cooled.

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Don't worry too much Cooler master is a well respected company, I use mine daily and though it sleeps it barely goes off ever. If anything happens they will replace your whole system. Just take pics and document everything you buy.

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   

For memory I went with kingston hyper X 3200mhz , affordable and reliable memory in my experience over the years plus the RAM chips are made by Kingston themselves not off the shelf parts.

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Kingston is a really good company too, bought a SSD of theirs about 3 years ago or so. They were in my radar for price as well.

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Now the question is.

How hard is it to put a processor in ?

Amd Ryzen chips have pins sticking out don't they?

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Its not hard unless you drink a 5th of whiskey before ya do it. maybe take a video of the unboxing and make sure there are no bent pins. did that for my nephews build with his 4200 amd chip

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   

get some good thermal paste as well

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Just line up the mark on the edge of the CPU with the mark on the Motherboard socket and drop it in ... simple.

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Honestly not sure if they have pins anymore or not, ARCTIC MX-4 is what I got for the paste, easy to apply and durable and can do multiple builds with the same tube.

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Arctics what I used for my q9550 Zerotherm air cooler.

edit on 21-12-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

I'm aprehensive about going AIO water cooling.

I've never once turned my pc off since I built it.

Air cooled.

I dont trust aio coolers at all iv built many loops for 24/7 use and aio just do not have the kind of hardware I would want for 24/7 use

I overbuilding the hell out of my loops tho the one I have now has more radiator than a Honda civic ... but that 6c water temp in the morning shure dose make me smile even if its Really only good for bragging rights

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   
AIO's seem to have about a 5 year tops life span and depending on whats used in the liquid it could be even less than a year if it turns into a breeding ground for slime so will need maintenance where as a air cooler if the fan goes its a 5 min job costing virtually nothing in cost or labour.

If you need the memory then perhaps an AMD EPYC or 2 system might be a bit more up your street if you have some change down the back of the sofa

Generally I'd say ryzen 39xx or a threadripper as theres going to be at least one more refresh of those chips so you can reuse the board should you need more grunt and they have pci-e 4.0 support which mainly at the moment is good for serious i/o on the storage front as graphics cards generally can't really saturate a 3.0 link yet.

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Think I'm gonna switchout the Corsiar AIO and Psu to

Be Quiets Air Cooler and 1000 watt PSU.

Saves $200.

edit on 21-12-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I think 1000 watt is overkill for your system , I'd recommend something like an EVGA 750 ,80+ Gold for about $88 , the 80+ Gold rating guarantees consistent power delivery ... I got one and am more than happy with it , also the fan only spins up when the unit hits between about 40 degrees
2700x
RTX 2060

edit on 21-12-2019 by gortex because: add

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

But I want the option of running dual cards.

I get what your saying.

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Be quiet Dark Rock Pro Tr4 Air cooler looks like it's the right ticket.

Gonna have to switch out the G skill for some low profile Corsair Vengence sticks.

To have room for the air cooler.

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Looks like I am gonna have to camp out on the Best buy website for the next few days.

The 3950x is suppose to be arriving on the 24th or there after.

Processor is the only thing holding up my purchase order

Unless someone knows of another reliable site to order it from for the same price.

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I absolutely HATE newegg.

My card was declined for NO REASON.

So I went to amazon and pulled the trigger.

Now I just have to wait for delivery.

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Gothmog

Ryzen Threadripper 2950x > Ryzen 3900x ?

I wonder why your post did not show in my list ?
The choice is up to you .
Go for Cores/Threads first . Then clock speed. Try to stay above 3 ghz , though.
16 - 32 Gb of RAM (16 is just fine) at the highest clock that the board and CPU supports
At least an Nvidia 1080Ti (remember the new RTX series introduced Real Time Ray Tracing)

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I think 1000 watt is overkill for your system , I'd recommend something like an EVGA 750 ,80+ Gold for about $88 , the 80+ Gold rating guarantees consistent power delivery ... I got one and am more than happy with it , also the fan only spins up when the unit hits between about 40 degrees
2700x
RTX 2060

Power RULES!!!!!
Why not a gigawatt ?
I would go with Coolermaster.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join