It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well That's Embarrassing !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Many people do it in a car park trying to get out of a tight space but this Cruise ship Captain did it while trying to dock , what makes it more Embarrassing is the ship he hit was from the same company , Carnival Cruise.

Carnival Cruise Line says the Carnival Glory ship was maneuvering when it “made contact” with the Carnival Legend Friday morning. Videos shot by startled passengers show the noisy, slow-moving accident which left the part of the Glory mangled at the stern.

The cruise line says it is assessing the damage but the seaworthiness of the ships was not impacted. A guest suffered a minor injury in the evacuation of a dining room.

Got to feel for the guy , aint a chance no ones going to see that.

edit on 20-12-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex
Too much port, I think.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 05:22 PM
link   
The captain could state he saw klingons on the starboard bow, and the action was to remove them

now for an annoying piece of music

If you did press play you shall be singing that all night now

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Rumor has it that Captain Morgan had too many glasses of white rum before embarking on the voyage.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   

That should buff right out. Nobody needs to know.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Heard on the radio, "Damage control, report to the stern with a case of white duct tape. Repeat, white duct tape to the stern."

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Sea Rage. The first captain beat the second captain to the parking spot.

People aren't as kind to each other during Christmas like they used to be.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

Funny you say that my wife backed into one of those hidden poles on a trip to the beach this year...and thats exactly what I used to hold up one side of the bumper on her white car. Actually did well and was hard to notice lmao!

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Two thirds of the planet is covered in water but somehow stupid people still find a way to run into each other. They even had a tug. Things that make you go hmmmm.........

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   
The other ship was probably in his blind spot.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
The other ship was probably in his blind spot.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   

He was texting and driving.

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Oops rear ended it. Whiplash anyone?

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: whiteblack

6 Injuries reported.

people.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   
On a more serious note, it's pretty miraculous it wasn't much worse. As I understand it the Carnival Glory (the ship on the right) aft dining area impacted the bow of the (already docked) Carnival Legend (ship on the left). The large section of deck you see get bent down on the Glory was actually the dining room which is often full of cruise guests and always has staff in this area. Going overboard when a ship is docking like this would almost certainly mean a trip to Davy Jones locker with the turbulence in the water from the massive stern thrusters running at full power.

On a side note, I've never understood how people survive going overboard on any kind of a large vessel. I was in the water once behind a much smaller vessel (80 footer) when they engaged the props just for a second to reset an anchor and I was just about drowned...and I had my Rescue Diver certificate even...and was in full dive gear. The turbulence was incredible (pulled me under and pushed me down about 15 feet).

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: whiteblack

No, actually the ship on the left (Legend) was docked and stationary. It was the ship on the right (Glory) which ran into the Legend while maneuvering to dock. She was basically parallel parking in front of the Legend.

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown
The captain could state he saw klingons on the starboard bow, and the action was to remove them

now for an annoying piece of music

If you did press play you shall be singing that all night now
lop, by what action?? "Ramming speed!!"

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 07:40 AM
link   
In one article I read yesterday a spokesperson for Carnival said (on several occasions) that the Glory's cruise would not be affected by this and 'operations would continue as normal'. I thought that was pretty funny! The aft end of one of your ships just got crunched and one whole dining room was destroyed, but 'everything is fine'.

Doesn't say much for the Carnival's assessment of the quality of service for their passengers! 'It's okay, this garbage scow is still floating so...Welcome aboard!'

I also thought it interesting her stern thrusters were running full to starboard right before the collision and she didn't go full to port until AFTER the collision. This actually made the collision worse. Somebody's going to need to go back to Captain's School for that one! Plus, there's probably an opening for a tug Captain slot in Cozumel today also, as she had a tug alongside assisting. It would be interesting to know what position his throttles were in at the time of the collision. If he was full astern, and the Glory was full to starboard with her stern thrusters, Glory would have been fighting the tug trying to save her. If he was 1/4 ahead...he better hope he's got good insurance!

If you look carefully, there's actually quite a bit to see in the video.

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   

When I lived in Falmouth a ship started dragging its anchor during a storm. They put it full astern but it was still heading for the shore. They got a pilot on board. It was said he deserved a bravery award just for boarding the ship. He realised the only thing to do was full steam ahead and turn. Got it around just a few hundred yards from disaster. Balls of steel.

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   
And, where the hell was the lookout astern???? Sleeping??? You could see that one coming for a mile! There should have been a flag officer back there with direct radio contact to the commanding officer on the bridge! You don't dock a several hundred million dollar ship in a tight spot like that without ranking lookouts forward, aft, to starboard and port.

new topics

top topics

join