It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Historic same-sex kiss in 'The Rise of Skywalker' polarizes 'Star Wars' fans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Full title: Historic same-sex kiss in 'The Rise of Skywalker' polarizes 'Star Wars' fans, gets censored overseas (spoilers)

It’s the kiss heard ‘round the galaxy. [snip]

While that was a “for #Reylo fans only” moment, the more consequential, and controversial, lip-lock happens in the final scenes of the film. As the Resistance is celebrating its triumph over the Palpatine-led Final Order, Commander Larma D’Acy (Amanda Lawrence) — previously seen in The Last Jedi as a Vice Admiral Holdo loyalist — finds her girlfriend, an X-Wing pilot, among the crowd and the two share the franchise’s first on-camera same-sex kiss.

Still, it’s no small thing that D’Acy and her lover, who isn’t identified by name in the scene, are the first same-sex lovers in the live action Star Wars realm. Reaction on Twitter so far is evenly divided between happiness that this particular barrier has been shattered and disappointment that director J.J. Abrams kept their love in the background.

Before you click on the article, understand that there are spoilers in it. So if you're planning on watching it and don't want to know anything that happens, don't click. Article. Includes spoilers

The way I understand it, Lucas already had to clean this script up quite a bit because it subliminally took jabs at President Trump. Having said that, I haven't researched it, but I heard about it and recall seeing something about it.

Two girls kissing is blah, but when you integrate that into a franchise geared towards the younger generation, you're going to have blow back. Most people don't want their kids seeing that, and we only saw Leia and Solo kiss in the first series, and Anakin and Padame kiss in the second series but they actually tied into the film (Kylo Ren and Luke). This one doesn't. It's thrown in there just to be thrown in there.

But while some gays clapped, others were upset that they only got a small portion of attention and some even got mad that it was between two white people instead of Finn (a black character) and Poe (an Hispanic character).

Disney is ruining a lot of remakes and sequels.

+18 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

They should have kept the original title: The Rise of SJW's. Wasn't planning on watching it, this just reinforces it.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It seems that George is going to sue Disney for plagiarism because they copied his Return of the Jedi.

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   
EXCELLENT!!! Seriously just excited as I can be that they did it because now when they finally do resurrect it (which they will) we can have inter species pedophilia kissing scenes. Chickens marrying storm troopers. Gay rights rebels. Space ships that are not AND NEVER WILL BE gender exclusive! Robots with penises and vaginas and other various sexual organs all over them. Penis's and vagina's EVERYWHERE! MAN THIS IS SO EXCITING!!! All that stuff. The only limit is our sexual imagination!

This is a real door opener!

Thnks Disney!

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Most people don't want kids to see what? Gay couples and that homosexuality is real and everywhere?

There's plenty of characters in the star wars universe that are gay, even some transpecies. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I can imagine it's not even close to a 'big deal' at all. Oh no people kissed! EW ICKY!

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools
Kudos to Disney for showing How the Universe really works.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   

It's a story about WAR. A kid friendly war movie but nonetheless, war. Why the hell is sex worse than war???? Backwards Christian repressed culture where war is celebrated and sex is condemned.

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I heard the film sucked not because of the kiss but because it sucked.

Betcha Disney will blame their low ticket sales on "anti-gay" stuff instead of accepting the fact that they made a movie that sucked.

(post by oddnutz removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Well, well, aren't they naughty force users?

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chance321

They should have kept the original title: The Rise of SJW's. Wasn't planning on watching it, this just reinforces it.

Yeah I'm not watching it either... It's a shame Lucas didn't do the work and stick to the script. The first of this series was successful because it had Leia and Solo in it.

Why does a children's channel find it necessary to throw gay in there anyways? It's not a show about love, it's a show about science fiction. This pissed off gays because it was only 2 seconds. They pissed off progressives because they let two whities have the gay scene. And they pissed off everyone else for making it a point to throw it in there while it was unnecessary and off script. All they had to do is not include it at all.

Hopefully George or someone similar will remake the series and stick to the script, actually make it worth watching and have characters that don't look like something you find on Doc McStuffins or Vampirina.

+1 more 
link   
Don't really care about the kissing scene.

Care more that Disney sucks, and has managed to ruin Star Wars for me.

I'll just stick to the original 3.
Only good ones.

link   
Yay!
Background characters that mean absolutely nothing to the story line kissed!

Represent!
I guess...
Whatever...

Still can't say I want to see the movie.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chance321

More like, rise of the right-wing snowflakes. Same sex scenes have been in every category of every age group of movie including dusney shows..

Only religious snowflakes are making a big deal about this..It's non-news..

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Saw it last night
It was great
Didnt notice what you posted about
Must have happened pretty fast
Was one an alien or something?

link   
As long as it’s two chicks I’m ok with it. Yeah I know I’m a scum bag. But I’ve done a few 3/ways, so it turns me on.

link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I heard the film sucked not because of the kiss but because it sucked.

Betcha Disney will blame their low ticket sales on "anti-gay" stuff instead of accepting the fact that they made a movie that sucked.

I think you hit the "cool" cultural nervous system with a ball peen hammer there sir.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Homosexuality is not everywhere. Maybe up in Canada things are different. Kids shouldn't be subjected to seeing this, it doesn't even fit into the script.

Name one single character in the Star Wars universe that's gay.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Rogue 1 has so far been the best out of all the new ones honestly. I hope they don't try to revive that somehow...

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Why is sex in a kids movie worse than science fiction war in a kids movie? You serious?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join