It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man does indeed get sentenced 16 years, 30 days for burning that LGBTQ flag

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: CriticalStinker

True but how many protestors who burn the stars and stripes burn their own?

Probably don't also threaten to burn down a bar though, which is where i would think most of that sentence would come from.

Still, seems excessive without further info. Maybe he was on parole or had lots of previous - would explain sentence length better.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: JonathanNicholas

Stories like this should have a picture and name of the judge that gave this harsh punishment.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
Bit of caveat, it's not like he just burned a LBGT flag... He stole it from a church, burned it in a street, and threatened to burn down a bar.

15 years seems excessive either way... But it's not like he just bought one and burned it in his back yard and caught a charge.
I agree he should be punished, but geez, how many celebrities have publicly called for violence against Trump? Has a single one of them even been charged? I guess this kind of disparity in sentencing is always going to happen in America, with its 80,000 independent governments led by elected leaders. In one county, this guy gets 15 years; in another he gets a fine, community service or mandatory counseling.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   
It's amazing how many people don't get the facts before they post. Truly amazing. It's just like you want your confirmation bias while getting manipulated by some random website.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Scapegrace

This isn't about hate crime laws or LGBT stuff, this is actually about how 3 strikes laws are stupid and prejudicial. This guy had 2 DUIs before this, and the burning was strike 3. Under state law, minimum was 5 years because of the 3 strikes law. Hate crimes legislation amplified the sentence. And the hate crime wasn't "burning the flag". It was vandalism of a church who happened to support LGBT rights.

If it were his first offense, probably a year in jail with 5 years probation and classes. But under unfair habitual offender laws he got the 15 years.

And don't get me started on if he had the money to get a real attorney he would have gotten off with community service and a suspended sentence.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

10 days and replacement costs seem too severe a punishment for the crime. So another 16 years and 20 days seems just a little over the top.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join