It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man does indeed get sentenced 16 years, 30 days for burning that LGBTQ flag

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
Well homosexuals used to be arrested and jailed.. Karma i guess?

Karma? Did that guy arrest anyone for being homosexual or what are you talking about?

People treating other people bad = Must be karma when people are treated bad

What?????

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Owe man, held my tongue on this one, but WTF, its alright to burn the American flag, but not a flag that means nothing?

Hope this goes to the top and the justice that served this on this fellow is ousted, Christ this is America right?

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Well seems he was lucky he only got 15 years by the sounds of it.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Umm... were you live at? if its China I would understand your last?

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: JonathanNicholas

"hate crime" is such a cover all term, like 'terrorist' - - and worse, there's 100 'levels' of hate crimes so like 'theft' offences, there's a HUGE difference between taking a candy bar from a shop compared to robbing a bank!

They both fall under the definition of the word "theft" BUT they are hardly comparable in terms of severity and impact on thee 'victims'.

IMHO as a non American, you guys are leading the world in this PC madness that's sole purpose is to "move the goalposts by changing the rules" which are the words you and I use to convey how we are thinking. e.g. the word "abuse" has now come to suggest and imply that ANY of the definitons below, which are from the Mirriaam-Webster dictionary:

Definition of abuse (Entry 1 of 2) 1 : a corrupt practice or custom the buying of votes and other election abuses
2 : improper or excessive use or treatment : misuse drug abuse
3 : language that condemns or vilifies usually unjustly, intemperately, and angrily verbal abuse a term of abuse
4 : physical maltreatment child abuse sexual abuse
5 obsolete : a deceitful act : deception abuse verb ə-ˈbyüz abused; abusing

Definition of abuse (Entry 2 of 2) transitive verb
1a : to put to a wrong or improper use abuse a privilege
b : to use excessively abuse alcohol also : to use without medical justification abusing painkillers
2 : to use or treat so as to injure or damage : maltreat abused his wife
3 : to attack in words : revile verbally abused the referee

Definition of hate crime

: any of various crimes (such as assault or defacement of property) when motivated by hostility to the victim as a member of a group (such as one based on color, creed, gender, or sexual orientation)

y'all gone crazy I reckon, and what's worse, the rest of the world are like the blind following the blind!

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   
seems excessive. sending a warning to any other would-be flag burners.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

15 years seems excessive either way.

15 years is crazy. Year tops. Just a little time to think about what he could have lost.
I hope he appeals.

Personally I think this is more of a month in jail and some community service/probation type of thing.
Unless this guy is a repeat offender?

The op did not link.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Link?

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: kingsquirel

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Umm... were you live at? if its China I would understand your last?

It's not his first rodeo, he a career criminal, if you read Blaines post on the page before a habitual criminal comes with a 15 year penalty alone, the judge was being lenient if anything.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JonathanNicholas
I know this was posted last july when the man got arrested but this is an update. The man did indeed get sentenced.
In fact, the man got sentenced to 16 years and 30 days

"15 years for the hate crime of arson and given a year for reckless use of explosives or fire and 30 days for harassment. The sentences are to be served consecutively, Story County court records said."

But you can burn the American flag and that same judge will pat you on the back...Liberals are sick...

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Crazy, I think the appellate court will overturn this sentence.
Regardless if I agree or not with his politics or way of life this is way too excessive.
A fine and probation if he has a clear record, and prosecute MaCabe and Comey for crying out loud.

originally posted by: Iscool

originally posted by: JonathanNicholas
I know this was posted last july when the man got arrested but this is an update. The man did indeed get sentenced.
In fact, the man got sentenced to 16 years and 30 days

"15 years for the hate crime of arson and given a year for reckless use of explosives or fire and 30 days for harassment. The sentences are to be served consecutively, Story County court records said."

But you can burn the American flag and that same judge will pat you on the back...Liberals are sick...

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

originally posted by: Lysergic
haahahahahaha
aghahahaha

You think it is funny that someone got 16 years in prison for burning a flag?!

You are one sick puppy.

Guessing you don't know Lysergic.

In addition, I'm guessing you don't know the ATS member *known as* Lysergic.

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
The guy is a three time loser. The maximum for arson was 5 years, so he gets triple that under their law, due to two prior convictions.

People need to research topics before posting or talking about them. The crime was arson. Burning someone elses property is arson.

I think the lesson here is to not take articles on biased sites for granted. In this case you only got half the truth.

No the crime was not merely arson from what I read in the first link someone bothered to post (commence fist shaking at OP).

It was enhanced as a HATE CRIME. He hated that inanimate object and needs to be taught a lesson. (sure, perhaps we can infer that he also hates what the flag stands for, maybe even hates the people who fly it... but he didn't commit a crime or violent act against those. This is a property crime. Involving maybe $30 to $100 worth of property. I guess you could legalese your way into saying the flag belonged to "the entire LGBTQ community" since churches...er, at least Christian Churches...cant speak for others but, in my experience Christian Churches welcome anyone no matter what. No head covering or anything required. Seating is generally 1st come 1st served.

So, it wouldn't surprise me if they used that argument, but legally that flag has to belong to someone and be under someone's responsibility. If it wasnt attached properly and blew off into the air, landing on a nearby windshield of a truck, causing a major accident... the victims wouldn't be able to sue every LGBTQ person in the state, or whatever.

So my point with that is this was a property crime against the owner of the flag. A hate crime designation, for a 3rd arson, should hold a stiffer penalty, I don't really think Too many people are arguing with that. He clearly has a problem.

But pedophiles, rapists, and other far worse individuals get far less than 15 years. Maybe on their 2nd or 3rd strike they may get something comparable, but, then, we are saying this crime is almost as bad as traumatizing and likely destroying at least 2 lives? It doesn't just effect the victim. The family has to deal with knowing they allowed this to happen, they have one of the pillars of their life, a Family Member, destroyed and needing their help, when maybe they needed some help of their own, now the whole family has to fight the shameful urge to allow this event to Identify who they are as a family. "Oh yeah, thats the family whos kid got raped" is what people will say. My point isnt to belittle the victims suffering obviously, but to say that the perpetrator definitely caused serious damage to more than just the people he violated.

So, several lives damaged beyond calculation... aaaaaaaaand burning a colorful fabric. Pretty much the same?
(if it had been Joseph's coat of many colors it wouldve been just fine💁🏻‍♂️)

I dare you to ask me for proof about the sex offenders being treated more leniently. Don't make me look through my file on "illegal aliens let off with a slap on the wrist for the most heinous crimes imaginable". 😎

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 03:35 AM
link   
They label a crime as something more than the crime itself, which is absurd.

These are criminal ACTS, the motives don't matter. The act alone does.

It's all a farce, really.

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Stupid paywall. Nice find though.

The hate crime is two years.

I didn't find the statute for the habitual offender beyond the parole stipulation.

I just logged in with Google and got my 6 free articles.

originally posted by: namehere
hate crimes shouldn't exist in American law , it's unconstitutional and pushes excessively harsh punishment's on people for minor crimes like assault, vandalism, defacement, graffiti. crimes should not have extra charges laid on top of them like this, this sentence is abuse of this person's rights.

All violent crime is hate, so I pretty much agree. I do however agree with habitual offenders laws.

a reply to: 3n19m470

If you read my later post, you will see I found the details.

The problem with going off click-bait articles is not having all the facts. The guy talked himself into the enhanced charges with threats and saying he would not stop and the habitual charge means it's his third rodeo. Sooner or later he would end up killing someone, or perhaps a whole church full of people. You can't fix a defective brain, you can only lock them up.

I do agree the disparity between sentencing for crimes is not right. However no, it was not due to him burning a banner or its value. He is a dangerous homophobic nut job, with a penchant for arson.

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: JonathanNicholas Sounds like a tabloid story,where did this supposedly take place?,whomever made story up left facts out,and ran with story,I say BS more crap to agitate the public

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
a reply to: JonathanNicholas Sounds like a tabloid story,where did this supposedly take place?,whomever made story up left facts out,and ran with story,I say BS more crap to agitate the public

That's exactly what it is and look how many people fell for the clickbait on this thread alone, even after it was pointed out that facts were missing from the story.

Some people just love to enraged about literally everything, its an advertisers wet dream.
edit on 22-12-2019 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
16 years and 30 days....

So what do you get for name calling? Same freedom of expression, no!!???

This is the perfect example of "slippery slope" legislation.

He needs to appeal and sue that county, even if it has to go to the Supreme Court, which hopefully it will.

I'm calling BS.

ETA:

Here are some actual crimes that warrant 16+ years:

•DUI Causing Death or Mutilation
•Arson
•Assisting Suicide
•Battery, Aggravated
•Battery, Aggravated on a Police Officer
•Battery, Assault on 65 or older person
•Child Abuse
•Touching Child for Lustful Purposes
•Trafficking any drug
•Burglary
•Larceny
•Carjacking
•Home Invasion
Etc. Etc. Etc.

16 years for burning a flag, and threatening to burn down a bar? 16 years for having a bad day???

Like I said, ..BS.

16 years for what he did is obviously excessive, but you really think someone should get 16 years in prison for selling a joint?

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
The judge in this case needs to rot in prison for life.

The judge probably applauds and supports removal of crosses.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 06:19 AM
link   
That is excessive.....reminds me of what's going on in NYC..

Forever junkies and teenage hoods have always tried to rob people.

They charges were always lowered so if you got caught it wasnt the biggest deal.

Then came the influx of muslims and they demanded that if any of their people were attacked they wanted a hate crime added.

So if a junkie or thug robbed a Muslim with no idea about their background, a hate crime was still added. And that was a charge that was never lowered and the sentences were harsh.

And what was the outcome of this....muslims are not targeted. When junkies and thugs go out to rob, they now specifically pick asians and whites as there will never be a hate crime added.

The worse was at a bar. Bunch of young guys drinking and there was a fight, just like a million times before.
But when cops arrived because one group were muslims involved. The other side of brawlers were treated very harshly with assault and hate crime charges added.
One drunk said he didint even know their nationality.
Doesnt matter, if muslims were involved they have more power.

And now in NYC we have these groups walking around like they are above everyone else.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join