It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Isn’t Impeached Until the House Tells the Senate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Well this is interesting and coming from a big Dem Lawyer too.

I haven't looked into what he says but I don't really have any reason to doubt him. The logic seems sound.

If the House does not communicate its impeachment to the Senate, it hasn’t actually impeached the president. If the articles are not transmitted, Trump could legitimately say that he wasn’t truly impeached at all.

That’s because “impeachment” under the Constitution means the House sending its approved articles of to the Senate, with House managers standing up in the Senate and saying the president is impeached.

Bloomberg

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Not surprising, if the Democrats in office are a reflection of the intelligence we see from their supporters on this site. It would explain the lack of attention to detail.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   
The Dems just want to drag the persecution out. Senator McConnell can pull the impeachment charge across the aisle and put it to vote ending this particular element of the Dem's §2385 Unconstitutional Overthrow of the US Government.

edit on 19-12-2019 by Deplorable because: autocorrect

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

The Speaker doesn't have to send the articles of impeachment until the Senate sets the trial rules. Once the rules are set, both sides pick "managers" to represent their prospective cases. The House sends the articles of impeachment with the House managers.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California would appoint a team of lawmakers to act as prosecutors during the trial. They are called managers, and they present the articles of impeachment to the Senate.

Any senator could propose a motion to dismiss the charges. (A simple majority vote would be needed.)

But if the trial proceeds, there would be opening and closing statements, questions from senators to the managers and defense lawyers, and, possibly, more subpoenas, evidence requests and witnesses called. Deliberations would likely happen in a closed session before a vote.

The Senate will go on recess for the holidays before the rules have been made and voted on by the Senate.

www.nytimes.com...
edit on 19-12-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   

You beat me to it.

Here's what the US Constitution says about impeachment:

From Article I, Section 2, Paragraph 5:

The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.

From Article I, Section 3, Paragraph 6:

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

From Article I, Section 3, Paragraph 7:

Judgment in Cases of impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

Now, if the Senate has the sole power to try cases of impeachment, and they are unable to try a President under impeachment, then there is no impeachment. Pelosi has not delivered the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate, therefore...

President Donald John Trump has not been impeached!

Let me repeat that in case some didn't get it...

President Donald John Trump has not been impeached!

Now, the House did indeed vote to impeach President Trump on two Articles of Impeachment, but that process is not complete and impeachment is not complete until the Articles of Impeachment are delivered to the Senate. Now, I will admit some may disagree, but then that brings up another issue: If President Trump is impeached, then Nancy Pelosi has violated her oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States by refusing to allow the Senate to try the case.

So those who demand that Trump was impeached (and they will be here shortly), to you I pose the question: will you hold Nancy Pelosi accountable for her direct violation of the Constitution?

TheRedneck

+15 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I just want this coup against my duly elected President to end. I will never forgive Democrats for their childish stupidity.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Honestly, it doesn't matter.

The Democrats got what they wanted which is to say they impeached Trump even if technically, the impeachment isn't really official. They will just go into the election season claiming Trump was impeached even if he wasn't.

The NPC leftist won't know the difference... they will then claim it is the Senate that is holding things up by not playing fair.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 08:00 PM
link   
The Dems can't actually get in trouble for an improper impeachment if they do not finalize it. They will try to get Trump to resign, but he is not that dumb. The Democratic party is just playing games at this point, their impeachment and procedure should be evaluated by the Supreme Court of this country to identify if it is actually legal, the Senate can call these Judges to participate in their trial and give an evaluation of the legitimacy of the House vote to make sure things are properly done in the Senate.

I suppose the House Democrats would not accept any negative criticism of the Supreme court of this country, after all they tend to be putting themselves above the laws of the land that are in place. Maybe that would bring Americas citizens together when they find how corrupt our government has become.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

That's like saying an indicted person hasn't been indicted because they haven't stood trial yet.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

Funny, considering I raised this question yesterday on a different thread..
It seems rather questionable weather the president is actually impeached. Is a person indicted if the indictment sits it the grand jury or the prosecutors desk and goes no further? It just seems that they would have to do something after their vote, send it on to the next step before it would be considered official.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

That's like saying an indicted person hasn't been indicted because they haven't stood trial yet.

"Indictment" does not mean what you "think" it does.

edit on 12/19/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Hilarious

Nice work

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

But, what are the steps between the grand jury deciding to indict and the trial? It seems that someone would be obligated to alert someone that preparations are needed for the trial. I guess a better question would be how are sealed indictments handled? Do they just sit in the office of some da's office till one days he decides today is the day? Or are they held by a judge or something else.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Now, the House did indeed vote to impeach President Trump on two Articles of Impeachment, but that process is not complete and impeachment is not complete until the Articles of Impeachment are delivered to the Senate. Now, I will admit some may disagree, but then that brings up another issue: If President Trump is impeached, then Nancy Pelosi has violated her oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States by refusing to allow the Senate to try the case.

So those who demand that Trump was impeached (and they will be here shortly), to you I pose the question: will you hold Nancy Pelosi accountable for her direct violation of the Constitution?

TheRedneck

So has the House of Representatives refused to hand over the case? Not really sure what you mean by a violation based on what you have quoted above. There is no time line and its a reasonable request to have an idea how the Senate is going to conduct this.

which leads to.........

I have to be honest here, I think you can lay this one squarely on Mitch and Lindsay who flat out said this will be at best a one sided show trial. Seems like they gave her an opening to let them play out and decided the Senate Rules in whats most likely to be an entertaining debate.

And if were going to throw out failure to follow the constitution by Pelosi then we should also look at Mitch and Lidsay who flat out have indicated IN ADVANCE without having the trial that they are prejudiced jurors which is a direct violation of their oaths to

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.

and don't get me started on Comrade Mitch and foreign enemies...........

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   

The Speaker doesn't have to send the articles of impeachment until the Senate sets the trial rules. Once the rules are set, both sides pick "managers" to represent their prospective cases. The House sends the articles of impeachment with the House managers.
l

False.

There is nothing in the Constitution that states that the Senate has to set the trial rules in order to send the articles of impeachment.

You are making crap up.

Article 1 Section 3 of the Constitution.

Look it up.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

But, what are the steps between the grand jury deciding to indict and the trial? It seems that someone would be obligated to alert someone that preparations are needed for the trial.

Yeah, there's paperwork sent to the Senate that sets in motion the work on the rules, that the Senate body votes on. Any Senator can make objections and propose amendments to those rules. From what I understands, the Dems only need 4 Republican votes to get the rules to allow for witnesses and the introduction of documents.

Once the Senate is clear on what the rules are, the "managers" are selected, and they formally present the articles of impeachment to the Senate. Pelosi has said that she doesn't want to pick the managers until she know what the rules are going to be.

The impeachment vote just happened last night. I think the press is just looking for the next crisis, to keep American fighting at the dinner table during the slow news holidays.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Those are procedural rules that can be changed, thanks to the precedent set by the House democrats.

So no, nothing is set in stone less the rules laid down by the Founding Fathers.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I seriously doubt any real Grand Jury would have returned an indictment based on all the innuendo, conjecture, speculation, general assumptions and obvious hearsay displayed in the House Inquiries 😃😃

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

True just like there is NOTHING in the Constitution that gives a timeline for the House to send the articles over to the Senate.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Trump Isn’t Impeached Until the House Tells the Senate

He's been impeached.

Impeachment happens in the House, and it's now part of the Congressional and historical record.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join