It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaving a 13 yr old home alone can land you in prison

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   
www.illinoispolicy.org...

Any parent who leaves their 13-year-old home alone could find themselves under investigation by the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services, or even under arrest this Christmas.The law states “any minor under the age of 14 years whose parent or other person responsible for the minor’s welfare leaves the minor without supervision for an unreasonable period of time without regard for the mental or physical health, safety, or welfare of that minor” has been neglected by their parents.

Define "reasonable" What is reasonable to me, might be unreasonable to others.
I also think it is hilarious that I basically grew up in a generation that ALWAYS, left young kids at home. Seriously, there weren't any babysitters unless you were a baby. If you were 8ish/ 10ish you were then old enough to watch other younger kids. Now 13 is not old enough to be home alone??? This is nuts.
I thought that it was legal to babysit at 12?

Oh it get's better, if you ARE home and let your kid walk the dog around the block you can investigated. This is stupid. Who is
voting this stuff in? Where has common sense gone? I'm all 100% for protecting kids, but this isn't it.
I know there are a lot of kids abused and really neglected. Isn't it funny how nothing is ever done about them?

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

So can't leave a 13 yr old home alone... But the wackadoo left thinks a 16 yr old should vote... I need a drink.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

So can't leave a 13 yr old home alone... But the wackadoo left thinks a 16 yr old should vote... I need a drink.

Man, you just summed it up right there!

She was charged by DCFS in 2013 for inadequate supervision when she let her three sons – ages 5, 9 and 11 – play at the playground right outside their apartment’s window.

This is the disturbing part. Even if you are actually watching them, they will charge you. This sounds really weird to me.

edit on 19-12-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Yep, out of control.
These laws are put on the books just in case, but then if course the laws are abused down the line.

Can’t get a warrant?
Look at that, their 13 y/o kids are playing alone in the park.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

And a 4 yr old can decide to have a sex change operation
And an 8 yr old can dance for horny old men at a strip club where alcohol is served

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   
My 13 year old (long ago) took a CPR class that that allowed Him to stay home alone...and watch His 10 Year old brother.

They are making kids "soft" on purpose makes Them less likely to fight back.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ATruGod
My 13 year old (long ago) took a CPR class that that allowed Him to stay home alone...and watch His 10 Year old brother.

They are making kids "soft" on purpose makes Them less likely to fight back.

www.wthr.com...

Right now, it's illegal in Illinois for someone under the age of 14 to babysit. In fact, it's considered neglect.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   

I remember being 6-9 years old, my mother bringing me to her friends house, where there would be about 5 or 6 other kids my age, and all the parents would go out partying.

Sometimes they would come home that night. Others first thing in the morning.
Those are some of my absolute best memories as a child. Lol
There was always pop and a pizza, a Star Wars or Jaws movie and lots of childhood fun.

Concerning this law; Considering kids these days are such fragile little brats, it’s probably for the best.

ETA: No offence to anyone on ATS with children under 12. I’m sure your kids are just as good as mine

edit on 19-12-2019 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.illinoispolicy.org...

Any parent who leaves their 13-year-old home alone could find themselves under investigation by the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services, or even under arrest this Christmas.The law states “any minor under the age of 14 years whose parent or other person responsible for the minor’s welfare leaves the minor without supervision for an unreasonable period of time without regard for the mental or physical health, safety, or welfare of that minor” has been neglected by their parents.

Define "reasonable" What is reasonable to me, might be unreasonable to others.
I also think it is hilarious that I basically grew up in a generation that ALWAYS, left young kids at home. Seriously, there weren't any babysitters unless you were a baby. If you were 8ish/ 10ish you were then old enough to watch other younger kids. Now 13 is not old enough to be home alone??? This is nuts.
I thought that it was legal to babysit at 12?

Oh it get's better, if you ARE home and let your kid walk the dog around the block you can investigated. This is stupid. Who is
voting this stuff in? Where has common sense gone? I'm all 100% for protecting kids, but this isn't it.
I know there are a lot of kids abused and really neglected. Isn't it funny how nothing is ever done about them?

It’s Illinois we all know someone probably left their kid for like 2 weeks with TV dinners and a bus pass! That would be a just reason for this law. Going to the market and leaving a 13 year old at home to watch tv while you run errands probably isn’t an offense. However I agree with the OP in that a definition of unreasonable needs to be accounted for because of how this law could be abused

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   

A ten year old boy can dress like a woman and dance for money in a bar.....

But a thirteen year old boy can't stay home alone...

Da fuk?

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Seriously, this should definitely be a case per case basis. Maturity levels vary greatly due to childhood experience and training. At 11 years old, I had CPR training and made money overnight babysitting my twin baby 9 month old cousins on up to they were 3 years old. Sometimes it was for the parents having a weekend excursion.

I understand that not all children mature based on simple age diagnostics. I would hope that this would only be put into play if a younger person does not have the capacity to respond accordingly in an emergency.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

This was my experience too. Lots of pizza, pop and Dungeons & Dragons until dawn. Thank god for a real childhood. No wonder the 18-year-olds are so anxious.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   
So a 13 year old getting an abortion without parental consent will take less than the unsupervised time frame then?

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   

These are the kinds of laws that people don't follow. Not to compare it to worse, even draconian ones that are still enforcable, but this tends to be at the parents discretion.

If they judge their 12 or 13yr old to be mature and level headed enough to be home alone for some hours or go play with their friends, then they do. This was still a thing 10-20 years ago when alot of readers were going out to play in the neighborhood and go on "adventures" (for better or worse) with friends.

Are you saying this is a new law or just pointing it out?
edit on 19-12-2019 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 07:54 PM
link   
My babysitters as a child were often 12 or 13. This is madness.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   
This is so weird since RBG thought it was ok for a 12 yo to get married. I thought the leftists like those in Il. all push the same agenda?

edit on 19-12-2019 by Guyfriday because: What? there was no edits ... ... ... ... ...

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Isn't it great that politicians know what's best for us and even better they can punish us if we don't follow their guidance.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Really? I was driving stick shift trucks and tractors at 11.
Sounds like a leftist kid-snatching scheme.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I was working full-time and actually supporting my mother at 13.
I learned to cook at an early age, I'm not that bright, but if i can do it, I guess most anyone else could.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 08:25 PM
link   
These people making laws and enforcing them like this are like all those horrendous mental institutions that were closed down because of abuse and atrocities committed within their walls.

This is the exact same thing except it's state governments and officials who have become the ghouls.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join