It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creepy Phone Call from the Congo

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   
So... Last night around 2:45 AM I awaken to a weird creepy phone call from supposedly... the Congo. Half asleep I answer the phone, not looking at who it's from, and at the other end is a girl crying hysterically in what I can only describe as utter terror. It doesn't go on very long before it just abruptly ends.

I looked at the phone and it said it was, as I said, from the Congo. I figure, even if that was a real girl, in real trouble, there's absolutely nothing I could do for her from here, and there's no point calling back, I'm not paying for a call to the Congo which, if answered would likely be some kind of scam.

But... I can't get the call out of the head, the terror and desperation sounded so real. Either there's some poor unfortunate girl out there, or one hell of an actress...

Just figured, was a creepy weird call, and well, this is ATS, so might as well share it.
edit on 12/18/2019 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
So... Last night around 2:45 AM I awaken to a weird creepy phone call from supposedly... the Congo. Half asleep I answer the phone, not looking at who it's from, and at the other end is a girl crying hysterically in what I can only describe as utter terror. It doesn't go on very long before it just abruptly ends.
I looked at the phone and it said it was, as I said, from the Congo. I figure, even if that was a real girl, in real trouble, there's absolutely nothing I could do for her from here, and there's no point calling back, I'm not paying for a call to the Congo which, if answered would likely be some kind of scam.
But... I can't get the call out of the head, the terror and desperation sounded so real. Either there's some poor unfortunate girl out there, or one hell of an actress...
Just figured, was a creepy weird call, and well, this is ATS, so might as well share it.

Precisely how scammers get away with things........ Make it sound real.

Do you not wonder WHY YOUR PHONE NUMBER.......

Random? or from a cache gleaned precisely for this purpose

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

They didn't get anywhere, so not sure why my number. Maybe it'll get crossed off whatever list as useless. I assume it was just a scam.

Makes it no less creepy or disconcerting.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 02:12 PM
link   
You need to check your phone bill online to see if you have any $1200.00 charges just from answering the phone. Seems to be escalating, lately...

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

That scam is actually from people calling back. Which I wisely chose not to do.

Addendum: No, I'm wrong, looked it up, that apparently is a thing.

Fortunately, called my provider, and I'm safe from this particular scam due to the plan I have.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove
I received a scam warning from AT&T Monday on my phone that said do not answer any phone number from outside the US because somehow if you answer, your phone will be charged. It then updated my phone security. I haven't looked online to see how true this is, but I feel they probably know what they are talking about.

ETA: saw where you updated your post. Good for you!

edit on 12/18/2019 by NightFlight because: mo info...

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I called, they confirmed I should be safe because of the plan I'm on, which they had to check, which implies that it depends on various factors if the scam works.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I think I handled it right. I think I'm safe. Now I'm all uncertain...

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I think I handled it right. I think I'm safe. Now I'm all uncertain...

If you haven't deleted the number, you may can initiate an investigation with your phone service provider on the number as a scam. That way, if you are charged from that number, you can refuse to pay it citing the scam investigation. Most phone companies will take the charges off your bill immediately, anyway. I think you are safe.

Go to Duck Duck Go and just enter the complete number in the search block and if it is a scam, the search engine will show you...
edit on 12/18/2019 by NightFlight because: further thoughts...

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   

looked it up, others got the same thing. At least three reports.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   

looked it up, others got the same thing. At least three reports.

You are definitely safe.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Truecaller?

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
What most likely happen, is a prank caller used the internet to spoof a call to your phone, probably random.

There are many websites that allow you to simply type in a phone number and call anonymously, or txt anyone they want. The IRS scammers use the same tools. Easy access and free to do at anytime anwhere.

Sides... What would someone go through all of those numbers just to call someone out of the country. You have to use a string of numbers just to get out long distance
Doesn't make sense. They would have had to bang on the numbers randomly, starting with one then the country code just to get to you in the US.
edit on 18-12-2019 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I've heard about similar phone calls that are usually followed by additional calls asking for ransom in the form of gift cards claiming they have one of your loved ones (usually a daughter or granddaughter). Since you didn't respond they may have decided to just move on to the next number on whatever call list they bought off of the deep web. Just another scam.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Thats very strange because just late last night/early this morning I read this article/blog about child exploitation in the Congo:
gizadeathstar.com...

Hopefully it was not someone really crying for help.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

They got the realistic screaming from somewhere. Wouldn't put it past these kinds of people to go for true authenticity.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 04:31 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
This is why we don't answer our phones if we don't recognize the number or if they come up blocked. Ever.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Unless it’s against ATS ToS,
I’d Post the number here as a known scam number.
Let’s others know not to answer. My phone doesn’t tell me where the call is from.
Just the phone number and that’s it.

Or at least post the area code.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

+242 06 425 2330

top topics

<<   2 >>

join