It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State charges dropped against Paul Manafort.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Paul Manafort has just had all charges at state level dismissed on the grounds of double Jeopardy. After his conviction in federal court on five charges.

Council from both sides were full of speculation on whether he could be charged in state court after his vindictive conviction.

There is more some news. Since he won’t be convicted at the state level Trump’s will be able to pardon him.

But there’s the bad news too.

The ex-Trump campaign chairman is already serving a 7-year sentence after being convicted on federal charges of bank fraud, tax evasion, conspiring against the U.S. and conspiring to obstruct justice.
Manafort, who has been hospitalized since last week, did not appear for the hearing. His lawyer, Todd Blanche, said Tuesday that Manafort's own family did "not have a full understanding" of his medical condition because the Bureau of Prisons would not provide "any information" about Manafort's condition, citing his safety and privacy.
A New York grand jury had charged Manafort with 16 counts including residential mortgage fraud, conspiracy, falsifying business records and a scheme to defraud. The indictment was filed in the New York State Supreme Court in March.
Had Manafort been tried and convicted in New York, he would not have been eligible to receive a presidential pardon for state crimes.

First off I hope he lives to see the pardon or the Democrats got what they wanted. A Trump supporter dying in prison. They don’t care whose life they wreck they just want vengeance.

They won’t appeal even though they said it.

The second part about keeping his family out of the loop Is legal by the rules but it’s the second evilest thing they can do to a convict .

He’s sick and probably not because of isolation. (Solitary confinement)

Trump needs to get him out of there tomorrow.🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   

A Trump supporter dying in prison.

You mean convicted felon, right?

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
Paul Manafort has just had all charges at state level dismissed on the grounds of double Jeopardy. After his conviction in federal court on five charges.

Council from both sides were full of speculation on whether he could be charged in state court after his vindictive conviction.

I'm pretty sure double jeopardy doesn't apply here... so, very curios why they really dropped the charges.

I don't know. From what I've ready, he was actually guilty of actual, real crimes. If that is true, I don't think he should be pardoned.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

There is more some news. Since he won’t be convicted at the state level Trump’s will be able to pardon him.

But there’s the bad news too.

The ex-Trump campaign chairman is already serving a 7-year sentence after being convicted on federal charges of bank fraud, tax evasion, conspiring against the U.S. and conspiring to obstruct justice.
Manafort, who has been hospitalized since last week, did not appear for the hearing. His lawyer, Todd Blanche, said Tuesday that Manafort's own family did "not have a full understanding" of his medical condition because the Bureau of Prisons would not provide "any information" about Manafort's condition, citing his safety and privacy.
A New York grand jury had charged Manafort with 16 counts including residential mortgage fraud, conspiracy, falsifying business records and a scheme to defraud. The indictment was filed in the New York State Supreme Court in March.
Had Manafort been tried and convicted in New York, he would not have been eligible to receive a presidential pardon for state crimes.

First off I hope he lives to see the pardon or the Democrats got what they wanted. A Trump supporter dying in prison. They don’t care whose life they wreck they just want vengeance.

They won’t appeal even though they said it.

The second part about keeping his family out of the loop Is legal by the rules but it’s the second evilest thing they can do to a convict .

He’s sick and probably not because of isolation. (Solitary confinement)

There are quite a few on this site who would be doing the happy dance if he died without his family being allowed to be at his bedside.

Sadly, I really and truly think there are those on this site who would be quite thrilled if this happened and say he deserved to die without his family being able to see him. Just read some of the other stuff they write.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Did rudy or someone recently visit him enlisting his help on the ukraine gig? Maybe he is talking about that visit and it's more his safety they are worrying about than his privacy. Might also explain why the state charges were dropped.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

I'm pretty sure double jeopardy doesn't apply here... so, very curios why they really dropped the charges.

You would be right for the last 170 years . But It’s not done solely on the grounds of double Jeopardy. The appeal can give evidence on why double Jeopardy would apply in each case .

The appeal can give evidence of why double Jeopardy would apply such as malicious prosecution , selective charging and in Paul’s case dubious intent.

This case isn’t like catching a felon with a gun in the car . On appeal the felon then says but..but...but double Jeopardy .

Manafort’s lawyers have a lot to bring to the table about being targeted by the government z

It’ll be a long expensive case all for naught when you add the eighth amendment .

Double Jeopardy sentences between the federal and state rarely produce consecutive sentences They’re almost always concurrent .

If the state moves away from that practice New York will be back in court blowing money because of the eighth amendment.

I don’t think it’s worth it to them.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

A Trump supporter dying in prison.

You mean convicted felon, right?

So?

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

I find it highly hypocritical that many of the talking heads who have cheered Manafort being in prison also spend a decent amount of time criticizing US penal policy and demanding that "non violent" offenders don't see jail time. Personally, I don't see any actual "victims" of Paul Manafort... I see a bunch of petulant assholes who can't accept the outcome of an election and have spent the past 3 years searching for any excuse to get those they blame their election losses on... Manafort wasn't put in jail because of "crimes," proof of that is seen in the multitude of free men wandering around DC and America's major business centers who have openly done exactly the same as Manafort sans any prosecution or ridicule. Manafort was jailed because he refused to kiss the establishment's ring and refused to kiss their ghoulish hitman's (Mueller) ass.

Putting a sick old man who didn't commit any violent crime and who's actual crime was victimless at the most does not serve justice, it serves vengeance. Manafort is a political prisoner and those who have cheered his imprisonment are no better than the goddamn Chinese government imprisoning anyone who looks crossways at the establishment.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

There’s one of them on this thread already .

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies
Sadly, I really and truly think there are those on this site who would be quite thrilled if this happened and say he deserved to die without his family being able to see him. Just read some of the other stuff they write.

Karma is a real bitch and those who rejoice over the death of someone based on their politics will eventually learn that simple truth. Sometimes you encounter people so wrapped in hatred, demons, and mental illness that the only logical solution is to wash your hands of the person and calmly wait for the cosmos to properly deal with them and their bullsnip.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Mr. Manafort was convicted of five counts of tax fraud, two counts of bank fraud and one count of failure to disclose a foreign bank account.

Just so we are clear on charges he was convicted on. 8 charges total.

There was a mistrial on 10 other charges.

And question, should we not be putting corrupt politicians in jail?

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Mr. Manafort was convicted of five counts of tax fraud, two counts of bank fraud and one count of failure to disclose a foreign bank account.

Just so we are clear on charges he was convicted on. 8 charges total.

There was a mistrial on 10 other charges.

And question, should we not be putting corrupt politicians in jail?

Let me ask you this, should we be putting people in jail for drug crimes?

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Let me ask you this, should we be putting people in jail for drug crimes?

Kind of an open-ended, impossible to answer question.

Pusher man selling to kids? Death penalty.

21 yr old getting high at his home? No penalty at all.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl
Pusher man selling to kids? Death penalty.

21 yr old getting high at his home? No penalty at all.

So no penalty for those who commit victimless crimes.

These are also victimless crimes.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

They can form a conga line with the people that want to dance on rbg's grave.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
"Pusher man selling to kids? Death penalty.

21 yr old getting high at his home? No penalty at all."

So no penalty for those who commit victimless crimes.

These are also victimless crimes.

Ummm... no?

Bank fraud? Methinks the bank was the victim? Tax fraud? Methinks every person who does not commit tax fraud was the victim?

Maybe you meant violent crimes?
edit on 18-12-2019 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Great news! On the bright side, he will be pardoned either way after the election and this travesty of justice will be at least partially corrected.

Of course it won't be made right until every person involved in the sham does hard time.

link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
They can form a conga line with the people that want to dance on rbg's grave.

I have never, ever seen anyone wishing ill to RBG... just

link   

lol wth?

Are you saying that manafort was addicted to committing fraud?

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

I have.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join