It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois trying to tax rain

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   
q985online.com...

The measure would allow rain to be taxed by, as the bill states, allowing “stormwater utility charges to offset the cost of owning, maintaining, and improving local stormwater infrastructure. And it’s a fee, so it’s not tax deductible. It’s also something a church would have to pay, businesses; it’s also unlimited, so this theoretically, ten, fifteen years from now could be the biggest tax hike Illinois has ever seen.

If you have a large roof, or a long driveway, or a parking lot, you would be responsible for more taxes, under this bill, according to Skillicorn.

This......is.....crazy.....
This is the biggest load of bunk ever. We all know nothing is maintained except the lining of pockets!
It is amazing they come up with thousands of new ways to tax/charge fees people but can't come up with a single way to save $$$

I know when a business opens you have to account for storm water with runoff areas/holding ponds. What is the point of that if you are going to be taxed. Some places have a lot of landscaping that absorbs that water, some don't, yet based on your roof/driveway/parking lot you will be charged big bucks!

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

And if you follow that to its natural conclusion, eventually politicians will charge a tax on living.

They could call it... I dunno... a carbon tax?

Oh wait...

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 09:03 PM
link   

www.illinoisreview.com... they apparently tried this back in 2013

Let’s take a look at one municipality that tried to tax the rain back in 2013. The City of Elgin was contemplating a Storm Water Utility fee for 2014. Was it to address the cost of “owning, maintaining, and improving local storm water infrastructure” as a reasonable person might assume? Nice guess, but no. Elgin’s Proposed 2013-2017 Financial Plan clearly stated “Stormwater Utility Fee—The 2012-2016 Financial Plan identified the possibility of implementing a stormwater utility fee in 2013 for the sole purpose of further diversifying the city’s revenue stream to reduce reliance on property taxes. The 2013-2017 financial plan remains unchanged in this regard.” [Emphasis mine] According the WalletHub, Illinois residents have the highest combined tax rate in the nation. Another tax, that as written in UNLIMITED is not acceptable and would dead on arrival if Illinois politicians were in touch with the over-taxed residents.
this just seems insane lol

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Sounds about right.
Property taxes are already supposed to pay for services like storm drains.

I would be asking me representatives why the funds are being squandered by the state making additional funding necessary.

Illinois is a turd circling the drain and politicians pulled the handle.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 09:04 PM
link   
They do it in Detroit as well. Had a client got presented a $16,000 Bill for his Biz.

Crazy

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   
If they can charge you for the storm water runoff, why can’t you charge them the same amount for providing them with fresh rain water to process into drinking water? Same amount of gallons. Sounds fair to me.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I'm a Saluki, an alum of Southern Illinois University.

I would not go back to that state at gun point.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 09:14 PM
link   
One step closer to the inevitable sunlight tax.
edit on 17-12-2019 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

You think the breathing tax comes before or after that one?

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Can we sue for legislative malpractice??? Political malpractice???

LET'S JUST VOTE THEM OUT!!!!

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   
When can we start taxing tree and plant growth over concrete roads?

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

Hard to say, I'm sure their working on it though.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 10:21 PM
link   
How quickly would you be told it's illegal to put up a giant tarp canopy over your lot to completely divert all rain away from and prevent it touching your property altogether.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Part of everyone's sewer bill is stormwater already. Part of everyone's city taxes is to pay for stormwater. Now they want to increase taxes, diverting the taxes they already collect for stormwater to different programs.

They are trying to increase taxes to fund who knows what by blaming it on global warming. We knew this was going to come actually. There must be Democrats in charge of things there, they are figuring if California residents pay lots of taxes, then they can get into the ballgame too. Just compare your taxes to California and you will feel that you are getting a deal, never mind even thinking of comparing your taxes to other cities because that would be insane, those cities do not have great taxpayers in them that love to support their government.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

increase taxes to fund who knows what

In Illinois it's a lot of overly generous state employee worker pensions.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 10:33 PM
link   
How long before they try to tax for farting due to climate change?

The left won't be happy until they get it all and then they will act like they are doing us a favor by feeding us.
edit on 17-12-2019 by MRinder because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-12-2019 by MRinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   

When It Rains, It Pours Tax Dollars... Maryland is the only state in the country that taxes the amount of rain that falls, since 2012 that meets the evil EPA standards. I guess MD will finally have a rain tax ally. Insanely sad!

One more... New Jersey.

I think some counties across the country impose the 'rain tax' or aka stormwater fee. The never ending road to taxing us peasants to death. Next will be the 'air' we breathe.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I always vote no on new taxes. Whether it be a pay increase for teachers, firemen, bonds. Always no. Unfortunately, my vote seldom matters. People will vote to be taxed more most of the time. It's really up to the people. If they want this nonsense they will get it and I hope they do. Maybe they eventually wake the hell up and start understanding there is no point to new taxes unless the book are in the black which in this case, they are not. Who gives more money to someone who waste what they already have. Oh, that would be idiots and the US is stacked with them.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I live in a state that already has some of the highest property taxes in the US, the elected city officials just voted this year to increase those by 30%(!!!). Its real funny because a lot of the garbage I read from my fellow small town citizens are how Fed taxes is their money, it's OUR money, its stolen money, etc etc yet when its their own buddies doing it, no one makes a peep.
edit on 17-12-2019 by BoscoMoney because: cuz

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge
If they can charge you for the storm water runoff,

So Its only fair that we charge politician a bs tax for what they constantly spew out of their mouths
edit on 511231America/ChicagoTue, 17 Dec 2019 22:51:56 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join