It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ecological mystery

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I was reading this article today about the freshwater mussels that are dying in the Clinch River that crosses Virginia - Tennessee border.
This is kind of stuff that gets under my skin, makes me sad. Little by little our environment is suffering but it happens so slowly that barely no one notices. It's the little side stories like this one that will come and go in a moment that maybe only a handful of people will read that really get under my skin. And you try and tell someone about it and they argue with you, as if keeping our planet clean healthy is a bad thing! Ten or twenty years from now millions of people will be saying they should have paid more attention to all of these little signs. It's baby steps that lead up to big changes for better or for worse. This makes me sad. In the end, politics won't matter anymore, but this stuff will.

Mussel Apocalypse

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

It is sad, but as the Earth evolves, entire species often die off, of natural causes.

Sometimes humans are to blame but sometimes that's just how evolution works.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: TaninimLong

It is sad, but as the Earth evolves, entire species often die off, of natural causes.

Sometimes humans are to blame but sometimes that's just how evolution works.

Yes - I totally get that, I know that's the case. I just assume humans destroy pretty much everything in their path. It's just what we do. I don't think the Earth is evolving in the right direction lol!
edit on 17-12-2019 by Skorpiogurl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Some humans are, and they get a lot of attention as they build stupid dams, make things explode, etc.

But some other humans aren't, and they don't get much attention, but they really are working to help save endangered species, opening sanctuaries, protecting habitats, etc.

Media tend to focus on the bad guys, but the good guys are also there.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TaninimLong

Some humans are, and they get a lot of attention as they build stupid dams, make things explode, etc.

But some other humans aren't, and they don't get much attention, but they really are working to help save endangered species, opening sanctuaries, protecting habitats, etc.

Media tend to focus on the bad guys, but the good guys are also there.

Thank you

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Ah well, to offset those mussels there is an explosion of non native snakes in the everglades. Now why aint they declining if humans are making species extinct?
Oh, but only certain species. And don't believe the BS about Polar Bears declining cos they aint either.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Nope it's because people are too busy ranting about horseshifft like s u vs and cow farts causing global warming to focus on the real pollution that can actually be fought.

Jaden

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Humans do not have to destroy everything. We can go to a more natural way of doing things again. The Ahmish get great crops with little chemicals added to the food, so do organic farmers. If we went back to little butcher shops and small local meat processing facilities at least in the country regions, the environmental impact would be lessened. Naturally grown cows grazing out in the fields and fertilizing the soils that grow the grasses has little negative environmental impact, at least on a small farm basis. Small farm equals less than fifty head of cattle in maybe eighty acres of land in relation to what I am talking about. The huge meat growing facilities create a lot of concentrated chemistry that can be bad for the environment because it is too much in one spot. Ten farms like I mentioned can probably supply beef for a over a thousand five hundred families. Now I know some guys who used to grow pigs, they did pretty good, but to grow a pig naturally increases the cost to over two bucks a pound when you consider in the better food and the processing costs. You won't be getting hams for a buck a pound, or pork shops for a buck nineteen a pound. But the taste of free range pork is so much better. My two friends no longer grow pigs, I have not found another supplier.

We do not have to die to quit the destruction of this world, we just need to learn to live with nature instead of waging war against it.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   

If y0u are y0ung y0u are wasting y0ur time w0rrying ab0ut the
future Whether y0u are right 0r wr0ng The reaI truth is y0u c0uId
be g0ne t0mrr0w Grab every m0ment 0f happiness y0u can S0
remember y0ur Father in Heaven because he is y0ur h0pe
W0rks f0r me any way

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Humans do not have to destroy everything. We can go to a more natural way of doing things again. The Ahmish get great crops with little chemicals added to the food, so do organic farmers. If we went back to little butcher shops and small local meat processing facilities at least in the country regions, the environmental impact would be lessened. Naturally grown cows grazing out in the fields and fertilizing the soils that grow the grasses has little negative environmental impact, at least on a small farm basis. Small farm equals less than fifty head of cattle in maybe eighty acres of land in relation to what I am talking about. The huge meat growing facilities create a lot of concentrated chemistry that can be bad for the environment because it is too much in one spot. Ten farms like I mentioned can probably supply beef for a over a thousand five hundred families. Now I know some guys who used to grow pigs, they did pretty good, but to grow a pig naturally increases the cost to over two bucks a pound when you consider in the better food and the processing costs. You won't be getting hams for a buck a pound, or pork shops for a buck nineteen a pound. But the taste of free range pork is so much better. My two friends no longer grow pigs, I have not found another supplier.

We do not have to die to quit the destruction of this world, we just need to learn to live with nature instead of waging war against it.

Oh come on now, you know I don't eat that stuff haha!
but yeah I get what you're saying. I just get really sad with some of these stories. Nature is so awesome I just hate to see it suffer in any way for any reason you know?

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden

Nope it's because people are too busy ranting about horseshifft like s u vs and cow farts causing global warming to focus on the real pollution that can actually be fought.

Jaden

Yup I hear that loud and clear! There's so many worthwhile things that can be done on a smaller level. Like I said, baby steps all add up to big changes good or bad! I don't know from global warming. I just see that things on this planet are stressed out for one reason or another.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Ah well, to offset those mussels there is an explosion of non native snakes in the everglades. Now why aint they declining if humans are making species extinct?
Oh, but only certain species. And don't believe the BS about Polar Bears declining cos they aint either.

Aw well I don't know if humans make species extinct. I mean I suppose we can and we do with some things. I just think some humans in general are wasteful and careless with most things. But like someone else said, there are a lot of good ones too.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   

But, the first part applies to you. All the excess fertilizer they stick on crops runs off into the streams and rivers, so do the insecticides, miticides, and herbicides they use. There is plenty of real evidence that eating all of the chemicals used on commercial foods is not good for us, but since it does not kill us on the spot, or since there is no ACCEPTED evidence by the governing agencies that it causes long term chronic problems, the agencies say it is ok to consume it at normal portions. I do not know one vegetarian that eats just what is considered the normal portion. By eliminating meat in the diet, the percentage of veggies grows, unless they are organic then they are exceeding the safe limit all the time. Not a problem for a cow that only survives maybe fifteen years max, but for humans who live six times that amount of time it can cause mental and physical diseases.

Most all the food is being grown unnaturally, even much of the organic produce is still doused with chemicals, it is just that the chemicals are of natural origin. Tobacco is a natural insecticide and miticide, they could technically dust plants with organic tobacco. So is poison Ivy or poison oak, both have some insecticide values.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   

But, the first part applies to you. All the excess fertilizer they stick on crops runs off into the streams and rivers, so do the insecticides, miticides, and herbicides they use. There is plenty of real evidence that eating all of the chemicals used on commercial foods is not good for us, but since it does not kill us on the spot, or since there is no ACCEPTED evidence by the governing agencies that it causes long term chronic problems, the agencies say it is ok to consume it at normal portions. I do not know one vegetarian that eats just what is considered the normal portion. By eliminating meat in the diet, the percentage of veggies grows, unless they are organic then they are exceeding the safe limit all the time. Not a problem for a cow that only survives maybe fifteen years max, but for humans who live six times that amount of time it can cause mental and physical diseases.

Most all the food is being grown unnaturally, even much of the organic produce is still doused with chemicals, it is just that the chemicals are of natural origin. Tobacco is a natural insecticide and miticide, they could technically dust plants with organic tobacco. So is poison Ivy or poison oak, both have some insecticide values.

Yes you're right, sorry I was too busy feeling bad for the mussels to comprehend what I was reading there. BUT - A vegan diet and organic diet are two different things. And you did say "unless they are organic", but we know we can't trust those labels right?

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skorpiogurl

That is the fourth time we have gotten organic iceberg, and it took that long to make that decision, it took over two years. We do not eat much lettuce usually because of that bitter taste it has. I remember when I was young, sometimes in the stores the lettuce was good like that, some farmers refused to put pesticides on their food back then. But the lettuce did have worms once in a while. Something a vegan probably wouldn't approve of.

Yes you're right, sorry I was too busy feeling bad for the mussels to comprehend what I was reading there. BUT - A vegan diet and organic diet are two different things. And you did say "unless they are organic", but we know we can't trust those labels right?

We just got a head of organic iceberg lettuce from Meijers the other day and had a chef salad for lunch. Oh, how great that organic iceberg is compared to the commercial lettuces. It is not bitter like the regular store bought lettuce, the pesticides can leave lettuce with a bitter taste. The wife and I were talking at lunch and made a decision to get the organic lettuce when we get it. Not so much because it is better for you but because it does not have that bitter taste to it. Right now it isn't that much more than the regular store bought lettuce, less than a buck a head.
edit on 17-12-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   

That is the fourth time we have gotten organic iceberg, and it took that long to make that decision, it took over two years. We do not eat much lettuce usually because of that bitter taste it has. I remember when I was young, sometimes in the stores the lettuce was good like that, some farmers refused to put pesticides on their food back then. But the lettuce did have worms once in a while. Something a vegan probably wouldn't approve of.

We just got a head of organic iceberg lettuce from Meijers the other day and had a chef salad for lunch. Oh, how great that organic iceberg is compared to the commercial lettuces. It is not bitter like the regular store bought lettuce, the pesticides can leave lettuce with a bitter taste. The wife and I were talking at lunch and made a decision to get the organic lettuce when we get it. Not so much because it is better for you but because it does not have that bitter taste to it. Right now it isn't that much more than the regular store bought lettuce, less than a buck a head.

I buy mostly organic and the difference in taste and texture is always amazing. I read something a while ago that stated just because it reads 'organic' doesn't mean the whole item is organic. Like maybe the seed is organic but the soil isn't. I'm not sure how true that is but it made me think. I used to love chef salads, not so much anymore. Today I had a salad with organic arugula, smoked almonds, tempeh, edamame, onions and mushrooms with a little balsamic and I sprinkled a bunch of nutritional yeast on it. It was delish!

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I buy mostly organic and the difference in taste and texture is always amazing. I read something a while ago that stated just because it reads 'organic' doesn't mean the whole item is organic. Like maybe the seed is organic but the soil isn't. I'm not sure how true that is but it made me think. I used to love chef salads, not so much anymore. Today I had a salad with organic arugula, smoked almonds, tempeh, edamame, onions and mushrooms with a little balsamic and I sprinkled a bunch of nutritional yeast on it. It was delish!

A little hint about eating a salad, you should put onions on a salad to stop the lectins in the leafy greens from causing your platelets to stick together, which raises risk of blood clots. A dressing with garlic in it works too. Some veggies have natural proteases in them that counteract the lectins, but often the chemicals they treat the lettuce with destroys the proteinases and amylase. Amylase, which is used to help digest salad fiber makes lettuce turn brown after it is picked. So, even if it is organic, this enzyme is canceled out or the lettuce would never be able to be shipped cross country.

They use organic pesticides on organic blueberries, those pesticides are just as bad for us as the synthetic ones.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   
250 million years from now highly evolved cockroaches will be driving cars on fossil fuel that came from humans that went extinct in the Age of Giant Homos.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   

A little hint about eating a salad, you should put onions on a salad to stop the lectins in the leafy greens from causing your platelets to stick together, which raises risk of blood clots. A dressing with garlic in it works too. Some veggies have natural proteases in them that counteract the lectins, but often the chemicals they treat the lettuce with destroys the proteinases and amylase. Amylase, which is used to help digest salad fiber makes lettuce turn brown after it is picked. So, even if it is organic, this enzyme is canceled out or the lettuce would never be able to be shipped cross country.

They use organic pesticides on organic blueberries, those pesticides are just as bad for us as the synthetic ones.

OMG you have no idea - I literally eat onions 3 times a day with breakfast, lunch and dinner! I put them on everything! I follow a few nutritional plans GBOMBS being one of them so onion is a huge part of my diet. When I grabbed my salad out of the fridge and opened it my first thought was "Oh #! I forgot to put onions!" haha

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   

The onions can also help to reduce the negative effect of the Nitrous oxide made by eating nitrates in salad by moderating nitrous oxide production to safe levels. It helps to keep a person from having their veins and arteries dialate too much and reducing blood pressure too low which can make you lightheaded or dizzy. Everyone is a little different metabolically, some people have low nitrous oxide production enzymes, others have lots of these enzymes. So use of onions is genetic spacific. Other chemistries do similar effects as onions, like garlic, grapefruit, and even some spices like turmeric and plain old aspirin. If your blood pressure goes too low, just having an aspirin can moderate it to normal and get rid of a low blood pressure headache. cucumbers have lots of salicylicates which turn into aspirin when you add them into the salad too, which also reduces the risk of clotting platelets and sticky blood cells.

They worked this stuff out generations ago, but nobody actually knew why we do certain things.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join