It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is being manipulated? Greta or us....

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: ColeYounger
a reply to: dfnj2015

Right...next You will tell us all your ideas are unique...

Yes. In fact, I like to think of myself as a post-modern version of the complete Renaissance Man.

Sure thing, I like to think of myself as a better looking and much richer version of Robert Downey Jr as ironman.

I see where you're coming from.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 08:01 AM
link   

I don't understand how people have such strong opinions on Greta and they've never heard her actually speak:

Okay. But I don't understand why you are directing this to me and/or why you think I have not heard her speak. Nor do I understand how anyone can think it's possible to judge a person as a whole by a few minutes of public speaking on one topic.

I find her style of public speaking to be extremely effective in getting her point across. Although I am not ready to hold the opinion global warming will destroy all mankind, I think she makes the most out of her argument.

Okay... again. Apparently many people agree. Lots of folks think she's the cat's meow. And, apparently, those folks are quite happy for her to be exploited beyond her years, and more importantly (and sadly), beyond her mental and emotional level. Such pressure is overwhelming for mature, intelligent, emotionally stable adults... it's exponentially more difficult for a confused and challenged young girl.

I just want and hope for the best for her.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: network dude

Cool, I’m ready to switch. What do I put in my truck instead of gas?

Get an electric or hybrid vehicle.

In many European countries, governments give advantages like free parking and reduced transport taxes if you buy an electric or hybrid vehicle. They are actively pursuing the hydrogen economy and trying to get the gas guzzlers out of service.

I'm not sold that that helps yet. Manufacturing a car creates as much C02 as driving it.

Then we have to look at what is the electricity generated from, the ramifications of lithium extraction and disposal, and how long those vehicles last compared to traditional.

Edit: Side note, I am however hopeful that we will one day develop renewable clean energy, with new batteries that aren't as expensive, toxic, or dangerous. Personally I think the benefits of countries having energy independence will be greater than perceived environmental threats. How many wars will be prevented if countries don't have to incorporate energy into their military objectives.

Electricity is also able to be generated by nuclear, geothermal, tidal, solar and hydro sources which have zero Carbon.

Also, internal combustion engines can run of fuels other than fossil fuels and that have a reduced carbon emission (usually with the caveat of less concentrated energy storage). With Methanol and Ethanol biofuels, a big part of their exhaust gasses is just water and particulate Carbon is significantly less than with fossil fuels.

At some stage, we may be able to react (not necessarily burn) Hydrogen and Oxygen with zero Carbon emission but the technology is still being developed and is low efficiency at present.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

Nailed it.

Can we transport Greta and her parents back 60,000,000 years so they can go to a time where there were no industries, no human caused pollution, and see what the Earth felt like in a normal and natural climate when the global mean temp was 27°F higher?

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I'm with you, I was just saying I don't think that electric or hybrid cars are a huge net benefit yet.

Here in the states, our energy mix still relies on a lot of fossil fuels. So I'd be interested to see C02 usage for lets say 100 miles in a clean modern car like a PZEV vs electric or hybrid.

I try to be a good steward to the earth when I can. I don't necessarily freak out about my C02 footprint, but I recycle when I can, try to be utilitarian with the products I use without over consuming, and I try not to waste.

Personally, I have a newer diesel car. It gets 50mpg or uses 5l~/100km on the highway, and I figure I can run it easily past 500,000 miles/800,000 km if I take care of it.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Getting rid of gas engines will do absolutely nothing for the environment. It might have a less than 0.01° effect in about 200+ years. If you want to give up your "gas guzzler" and look like a huge nerd then that's up to you, as long as you don't try to force everyone else to do it.

One of the biggest problems with democrats these days is that they can't just do for themselves, they want everyone else to do it, too. That's how people get divided.
edit on 17-12-2019 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Trump didn't cyber bully her.

You see, this is exactly why democrats love pushing a little kid who is only as smart as those who are brainwashing her. When someone calls her out or disagrees with her, the left can cry about bullying and pass the message to others to do that same. I think you're being manipulated, too.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Shouldn't a 16 year girl be doing 16 year old things?

Pushing political propaganda is not indicative of a healthy childhood.
edit on 17-12-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Trump didn't cyber bully her.

You see, this is exactly why democrats love pushing a little kid who is only as smart as those who are brainwashing her. When someone calls her out or disagrees with her, the left can cry about bullying and pass the message to others to do that same. I think you're being manipulated, too.

Well, the Tweet seems to have been triggered by Greta being Time "Person of the Year", if you follow the thread.

What was he hoping to achieve, then?

Here's Trump's Tweet, for reference

Sorry, but he just clearly crossed the line again, as far as I'm concerned. You can try and excuse him, but he's once again broadcast something fairly nasty. He does that a lot. Make all the excuses you want.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Getting rid of gas engines will do absolutely nothing for the environment. It might have a less than 0.01° effect in about 200+ years. If you want to give up your "gas guzzler" and look like a huge nerd then that's up to you, as long as you don't try to force everyone else to do it.

One of the biggest problems with democrats these days is that they can't just do for themselves, they want everyone else to do it, too. That's how people get divided.

The burning of fossil fuels produces 21.3 gigatonnes of Carbon Dioxide a year.

Natural processes also produce CO2 as well.

It has been estimated that nature can only absorb 10.65 gigatonnes of that CO2 per year. So the current fossil fuel output exceeds the capability for natural sequestration or mitigation of atmospheric carbon by double.

Fossil fuels burn in internal combustion engines.

If you got rid of internal combustion engines, you'd stop putting 21.3 gigatonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere. It's a no-brainer.

Your figures suggesting little effect, cannot possibly be true.

edit on 17/12/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   
To all you people that worry what Ms Thunberg might suffer in later life, let me put your mind at rest.With her raking in the greenbacks she will be well looked after for the rest of her life.
Or do you all think she's doing this out of the goodness of her heart?

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   

In many European countries, governments give advantages like free parking and reduced transport taxes if you buy an electric or hybrid vehicle. They are actively pursuing the hydrogen economy and trying to get the gas guzzlers out of service.
are electric and hybrid vehicles free from causing environmental issues? Or are they just different problems?

science.howstuffworks.com...

And yes, I read it.

There are additional environmental concerns related to those rare earth metals, like those used in the magnets of hybrid batteries. In recent years, rare earth metals like lithium have been imported almost exclusively from China, which was able to lower its prices enough to monopolize the industry [source: Strickland]. One of the reasons China could sell lithium so cheaply was because it widely ignored environmental safeguards during the mining process. In the Bayan Obo region of China, for example, miners removed topsoil and extracted the gold-flecked metals using acids that entered the groundwater, destroying nearby agricultural land. Even the normally tight-lipped Chinese government admitted that rare earth mining has been abused in some places. A regulator at the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology in China went so far as to tell The New York Times, "This has caused great harm to the ecology and environment"

But as long as it's China that's raping the land, it's all wine and roses.

And those batteries turn into unicorns and fly away once they are spent.

It's sad that you would spew such garbage rather than admit we aren't quite there yet.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Forrest Gump walked, y she hate Forrest Gump?

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia
Greta Thunberg has tweeted *"Traveling on overcrowded trains through Germany," the climate activist wrote. "And I'm finally on my way home!"

accompanied by a picture of herself sitting on the floor!!

The train company replied

**"It would have been even nicer," Deutsche Bahn added in a second tweet, "if you had also reported how friendly and competently you were taken care of by our team in your seat in first class."**

edition.cnn.com...

So is it the people OR the activist Greta who is being manipulated?

And soon there will be kindergartens for adults again. Maybe there are reports of people sitting in the same train. And maybe you'll take the trouble to do some research before you do your dog poo here.

Every day is a little century
Every day is endlessly long
The hole is bottomless
And slowly eats himself.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   

a reply to: gallop

I guess you've not heard her speak when she's unscripted... 

Don't be shy, present the evidence...

I'd rather not, I don't wish to fall into a coma listening to that imbecile.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   

are electric and hybrid vehicles free from causing environmental issues? Or are they just different problems?

science.howstuffworks.com...

And yes, I read it.

There are additional environmental concerns related to those rare earth metals, like those used in the magnets of hybrid batteries. In recent years, rare earth metals like lithium have been imported almost exclusively from China, which was able to lower its prices enough to monopolize the industry [source: Strickland]. One of the reasons China could sell lithium so cheaply was because it widely ignored environmental safeguards during the mining process. In the Bayan Obo region of China, for example, miners removed topsoil and extracted the gold-flecked metals using acids that entered the groundwater, destroying nearby agricultural land. Even the normally tight-lipped Chinese government admitted that rare earth mining has been abused in some places. A regulator at the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology in China went so far as to tell The New York Times, "This has caused great harm to the ecology and environment"

But as long as it's China that's raping the land, it's all wine and roses.

And those batteries turn into unicorns and fly away once they are spent.

It's sad that you would spew such garbage rather than admit we aren't quite there yet.

Firstly, I said that they produced less CO2 than internal combustion engines. No one claims hybrids and EV's are entirely benign. Just less damaging.

But, how can hybrids and electric vehicles be causing problems if, as Trump has assured us, fossil fuels and even coal are "beautiful and clean"?

Can't you see the cognitive dissonance there?

But the batteries can be recycled or repurposed. Perhaps after extracting the rare earth minerals from the ground in the first place, they could be re-buried? I mean, they came from there in the first place.

Oh, and please tell me more about the "magnets of hybrid batteries" the term is new to me.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: gallop

Yeah, the choice of who to listen to is vast!

But sleep is good for you, too. Don't neglect it.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   
What we need to do is start perambulating using magic carpets fuelled by crystals and incense.

And eat cockroach and snail burgers, with moth paste cheese and genetically modified cow dung to make a wonderfully refreshing brown ketchup, and made with soy bean buns.

And then, as we fly to the moon in energy derived Tesla coils running off lemon powered batteries, we can finally extract all that Helium3 and head on to Mars and terraform it using rainbow generators and snowflakes. A virtual paradise, where we can all start over, and never ever dig things out of the ground... except Martian worms.

We must do something. If not, HOW DARE YOU!!!11

Ugh, the entire population of the planet today is going to be dead in just over 100 years anyway, most of us a lot sooner... who really cares.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Shouldn't a 16 year girl be doing 16 year old things?

Pushing political propaganda is not indicative of a healthy childhood.

Mozart wrote his first opera at the age of 10. Steffi Graf became a professional player at the age of 13. Some wrote their first novel at the age of 14. Or became pregnant at the age of 15. I believed in Ufos when I was 16. Nowadays young people can explore the world in seconds, internalize the history of mankind in one day. We didn't have the Internet back then, so we were much dumber. Therefore every comparison with past generations is nonsensical because the world was much smaller, much more manageable, and less threatening for young people at that time. Nevertheless, in the 60s and 70s 16 year olds protested against war, against environmental destruction, against the state. So this is nothing new. Young people also have a brain, they are probably clearer in their minds than many people here in the forum. Just sayin.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: gallop

Yeah, the choice of who to listen to is vast!

But sleep is good for you, too. Don't neglect it.

I'm an insomniac... :/ what is this sleep? Besides, I have some Mark Dice youtube videos to watch, and a Paul Watson clip, and then it's off to some soothing Would I Lie To You or perhaps 8 out of 10 cats does countdown, though I simply cannot sleep with that, considering Rachel Riley is just so uber delicious she keeps me up... if you get my drift. And for a mathematician with a degree in Quantum Theory, Fluid Mechanics and Applied Maths, and the best personality to boot, omg, who'd want to listen to that wee little troll Greta...

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join