It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Real Meaning of the Statues on Easter Island

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   

* Scientists believe they’ve uncovered the meaning of some of the Moai stone monoliths found on Rapa Nui, better known as Easter Island.
*The scientists analyzed soil in the vicinity of two of the Moai statues and found traces of banana, taro, and sweet potato, according to research published last month in the Journal of Archaeological Science.
*These traces indicate the statues could have been used to celebrate the crop fertility of soils in the region.

www.popularmechanics.com...

These stones on Easter Island have always been fascinating to me. And with this new evidence, it is highly likely that's exactly what they were used for, or something close to that.

I just watched a series on Amazon called "Volcano Stories," in which the author goes around the world visiting about 20 different volcanoes, and explores how the various people live with these beasts. Food offerings to the volcanic Gods are still very common among many, even to this day. Their feelings that the offerings will bring them good luck for harvests are very common, and not just among the fertile slopes of volcanoes, either.

So why were there so many stones needed? Perhaps there was a different stone for each of their Gods? That too is common to have multiple Gods in ancient times. I dunno, but it is intriguing nonetheless.

This is by far the best explanation I have heard regarding these bizarre stones, and it is now backed up by trace evidence.
edit on Mon Dec 16th 2019 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Seams like a bit of a stretch, growing food is pretty normal human activity, those stones however are strange.

The stones are pretty big and weren't always buried, it could be they were there to scare off would be invaders, no one wants to mess with giants after all.

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

The islanders probably gave the stones offerings to help scare off the invaders.

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Yeah I'd go with the statues being there to show any potential Invaders the people.of the island could have a large population,large enough to build statues that big. The Easter Islanders had nowhere they could run and hide,or sail....they had to make an impression on any possible Invaders from a distance.

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

The islanders probably gave the stones offerings to help scare off the invaders.

Probably potatoes and bananas at that .

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: hiddenNZ

Absolutely and who knows what stories went around back then of giants, or mythical creatures etc.

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Also another mystery,how did sweet potato ,called kumara here in NZ,also the same name in India,a similar name in the Pacific islands,make it to rapa nui? It's a south American native species .

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 09:52 PM
link   

No disrespect. But this sounds ridiculous. More main stream archeologists BS views on our history.

And I suppose they built the Great Pyramid for Khufu’s tomb, right!?!?

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 11:17 PM
link   
They look like giants to any ships or boats going by, they probably scared many bad people away and allowed the people living on the Island to live in peace for many generations.

The tale of cyclops...are there any one eyed statues on the island that sailors would have seen when going by?

Not all things were about religion. That fallacy is utilized if someone does not know what the real reason is.
edit on 16-12-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
They look like giants to any ships or boats going by, they probably scared many bad people away and allowed the people living on the Island to live in peace for many generations.

The tale of cyclops...are there any one eyed statues on the island that sailors would have seen when going by?

Not all things were about religion. That fallacy is utilized if someone does not know what the real reason is.

Howdy Rickymouse

Along the coast the Moai face inland except for one exception which are the seven Moai of the Ahu Akivi which face out to sea to 'help travelers find the island'. There is a legend that says there were seven men who waited for their king to arrive. The ones around the inland quarry at Rano Raraku (mostly) face out to sea.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune

Start with the real name of the island. :-)

Mata Ki Te Rangi, the eyes that look to the sky Another name that appears in the oral tradition to refer to Easter Island is that of “Mata Ki Te Rangi” which is usually translated as “Eyes that look to the sky”.

This is a great clue. Like many other megalithic structures around the world it is an astro astrological site. It is there to calibrate the night sky

The Rapanui people had detailed knowledge of the night the night sky and celestial objects.

Here is a Havard paper on it. Its well documented. I am surprised you dont know your stuff (again)
adsabs.harvard.edu...

It clearly states the Rapu had detailed knowledge of the sky and this was reflected in the architecture.

Megalithith where used to match the sky ie the Pleiades / orion etc

(the same star sets reappear all over the world with megalithic structures) Manly the Pleiades / orion and sirius. This is no accident your history is being hidden from you.

Historians that do not understand this or want to look at this dont really know there stuff. This in principle shows a commonality between many old megalitihic sites around the word which is easy to demonstrate.

Happy days

edit on 17-12-2019 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

No disrespect. But this sounds ridiculous. More main stream archeologists BS views on our history.

Howdy KKLOCO

If 'they' were the AE then that is the right answer based on the current evidence. What do you think the Giza pyramids were for? Also have you ever figured out where all the pyramid era Pharaoh's were buried?

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   

They helped enrich the soil, but was that actually known to them or they noticed plants grew better where the statues were planted so they thought the statues held some sort of magic, if so, still why did the begin carving statues in the first place.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I wonder if the food residue could be explained as lunch garbage not eaten by the workers who carved the statues, rather than anything having directly to do with the meaning of the statues themselves. Like if we dug up around a modern day construction site and found traces of banana peels, sandwich crusts and pimento loaf.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
I wonder if the food residue could be explained as lunch garbage not eaten by the workers who carved the statues, rather than anything having directly to do with the meaning of the statues themselves. Like if we dug up around a modern day construction site and found traces of banana peels, sandwich crusts and pimento loaf.

Highly unlikely, especially at a "sacred" site. It is much more likely those traces of food would have been from offerings to their Gods. In fact, in an ancient time where food was so valuable, I find it hard to believe any kind of food traces would have been found at all unless it was sacred food intended for offerings to the Gods- that no one would dare touch, take, or consume.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican

originally posted by: Blue Shift

Highly unlikely, especially at a "sacred" site. It is much more likely those traces of food would have been from offerings to their Gods. In fact, in an ancient time where food was so valuable, I find it hard to believe any kind of food traces would have been found at all unless it was sacred food intended for offerings to the Gods- that no one would dare touch, take, or consume.

I'll take that as a "maybe."

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hanslune

Howdy KKLOCO

If 'they' were the AE then that is the right answer based on the current evidence. What do you think the Giza pyramids were for? Also have you ever figured out where all the pyramid era Pharaoh's were buried?

Sorry, no funerary texts in the Giza plateau pyramids.Case close.

You of all people should know the importance of them to the ancient Egyptians.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hanslune

Howdy KKLOCO

You of all people should know the importance of them to the ancient Egyptians.

I do and they were first used in Unas' tomb circa 150 years after the Giza pyramids - before then they use to put all the statutes and stuff in the Mortuary temple. So where are all the Pharaoh's buried then?....also why do we find burial sarcophagi in almost all pyramids?

However we are off topic. If you want to go over this I would recommend starting another thread.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune

f 'they' were the AE then that is the right answer based on the current evidence. What do you think the Giza pyramids were for? Also have you ever figured out where all the pyramid era Pharaohs were buried?

Firstly you should start by having some respect for the culture you are talking about. AE has nothing to do with the Kemetic culture. Its ones culturals attempt to take control without account of another culture. Whilst being dismissive of what they have to say about their own culutre. Sounds a little racist doesnt it. :-)

Anyway back to your incorrect statement above.

Lets start with what they are not for. We are both aware that the King and Queens chamber are above the ground and we are both aware that Pharaohs are traditionally buried underground.

So we both know they are not burial chambers.

Now we have established what they are not you can start to surmise what they are.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

You are correct and the truth is kept hidden behind an information wall. Why do you think the USA runs the digs in Egypt. Its not from the kindness of heart. Its for control.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join