It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The “Hum” around the world explained

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Hello fellow ATS’ers it’s been a hot minute since I created a thread so I’m having difficulties embedding a picture and every time I go from this site back to the article it deletes all I’ve written so sorry it’s not the best I’ve created but never the less it should be noted here on ATS where the HUM actually came from. If the article is correct which I believe it is, as it makes sense the HUM came from the ocean.

Years ago the speculation was ongoing regarding the Hum being heard around the world.

Some said it was trumpets 🎺 of God, some speculated it was coming from space while others like myself wondered if it was related to underwater volcano as there are many in our waters that go undetected.

For those interested take a look at the entire article.

A strange seismic event off the coast of Africa has led scientists to a mighty finding: the discovery of the largest underwater volcanic eruption ever recorded. The eruption also may explain a weird seismic event recorded in November 2018 just off the island of Mayotte, located between Madagascar and Mozambique in the Indian Ocean. Researchers described that event as a seismic hum that circled the world, but no one could figure out what sparked it. For starters, the hum rang at a single, ultralow frequency, which was strange because seismic waves usually rumble at many frequencies. Moreover, there were hardly any detectable "p-waves" or "s-waves," which usually accompany earthquakes. And, incredibly, the island of Mayotte moved a few inches south and east after the eruption.
Now, scientists have an idea why. This weird seismic hum was likely the birth announcement of a new underwater volcano, according to Science magazine.
www.google.com...
edit on 16-12-2019 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This would actually not surprise me. The Earth is hardly a static system.

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TaninimLong
Exactly.

When our oceans warm the first thing should come to mind is an underwater volcano 🌋 or volcanoes going off as this may be the first sign of the Earth correcting herself.

There are indeed active and extinct submarine volcanoes. There are about 40,000 to 55,000 seamounts in the global oceans. Almost all of them are either not mapped or have been identified at all.

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   
That's one occurrence that may explain that particular noise. However would there be under water volcanoes all over the world and hums heard on mainland USA, UK, Canada, Europe etc too?
Can we really say that this one lot explains them all?
I too believe it is something natural, to do with something Earth does but I still can't close the book and say "Thta's it, I'm happy that this is the explanation, end off".

It's a nice idea, and it might fit in with some other noises heard but that's about it. The hum IMO is still as unknown in origin as before.

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

I did a thread on this back in March in which you might be interested:
Mysterious Planetwide Rumble May Have Come From the Largest Underwater Eruption Ever Recorded

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666
In the article it states ...

The underwater volcano is enormous, rising nearly a half mile (0.8 kilometers) from the ocean floor. It's the length of a 3.1-mile (5 km) race and lies about 31 miles (50 km) off Mayotte's eastern coast. And it came into being in just six months. The underwater volcano lies off the eastern coast of Mayotte island (part of which is shown here). (Image credit: Insularis via iStock/Getty Images Plus) "We have never seen anything like this," Nathalie Feuillet, a leader of an expedition to the site by the research vessel Marion Dufresne, who is with the Institute of Geophysics in Paris (IPGP), told Science magazine. In addition to the weird "seismic hum," there were other clues that something big was happening. The inhabitants of the French island of Mayotte reported feeling more than 1,800 little earthquakes almost daily since the middle of last year, including a large magnitude-5.8 earthquake in May 2018, the largest ever recorded in the region, National Geographic reported.

Maybe for you it doesn’t hold any clues however imo the sound was heard all over the world and what makes sense is this article.

Here is the paper mentioned in the article. eartharxiv.org...

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical
Hey! Glad to see you are still on here 😃 I did a search before posting the article, but didn’t find your thread. I’ll check it out. Is saying the same thing or ??

ETA: you state this in that thread

And really, Yellowstone is not at all likely to happen in any of our lifetimes. Long Valley or the Phlegraean Fields (of which Vesuvius is a part) are both showing more signs of an eruption than is Yellowstone.

Wow!! We are seeing an uptick as of recent in quakes at Yellowstone but will we see them like we did in 2014? What’s your take on this newly found volcano mentioned in the OP? Do you think the threat is real as Vesuvius? So many questions 😂

edit on 16-12-2019 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Ummm...that would certainly explain that low frequency hum in that particular instance...

However...it certainly falls well short of explaining the changing octave horn/trumpet like sounds people have been hearing all over the globe...

Which is certainly not to mean that it has no bearing...or isn't the progenitor of these strange sounds...

Only that further study and discovery are required to fully explain these higher...alternating frequency emanations...

Thank you for your post...and also for providing me the opportunity to consider and evaluate this discovery...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   
This is wierd, today my Six year old daughter, when getting out the car for school, suddenly looks up at me, one hand on the side of her head, "daddy! I hear something humming!!" I didn't hear anything and neither did any of the folks, there were a couple of kids a few feet away looking around at the sky and surrounding areas, not sure if that was related.

It was eerie, I'll tell you that. There are no "Hums" in our area of TX that I have ever known about and I've lived here my whole life

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Some people grow accustomed to certain sounds, due to their daily life, and learn to ignore those sounds. Cars, fridge, etc. - some can sleep at those sounds, whereas they keep me awake.

Some people comment that my hearing is exceptional; but that is simply because I grew up in a different environment than most of them.

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
I did a thread on this back in March in which you might be interested:
Mysterious Planetwide Rumble May Have Come From the Largest Underwater Eruption Ever Recorded

both reports (+10 months apart) speak of a frequency that 'rang' the Earth... but just how an undersea eruption/plate rupture or cracking would result in Sky-Sounds from 100's of locations for hours-or-days on end would be a natural result ?

I think that the whole inner-Earth system of core-mantle Overheating is the culprit

with stresses on all landmasses as the Earth expands then outgasses the pockets of air/water/voids that were once locked solid in the depth of the Earth Crust

hot-spots galore, reactivated Volcano's, once harmless masses of mineralized Methane which sat 'frozen' under our feet and below the thin ocean floors are getting released into the atmosphere and creating pockets of atmosphere disturbances which might account for the Trumpet sounds or creaking metal hinges sounds around the Globe

yes indeed the hundreds of newly realized underwater heat vents can be helping make ocean water temps higher & may cause sky sounds...

but the stresses upon mineral strata (like quartz) from an expanding Earth from the ground heating up all over the world can cause the piezoelectric process to exacerbate the heat/expansion process...

thanks, just doing some mind tinkering...don't hold me to science facts only
also thanks OP for published article of feb-march 2019 : eartharxiv.org...
edit on th31157651372316282019 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   

We are seeing an uptick as of recent in quakes at Yellowstone but will we see them like we did in 2014?

The current swarm is nowhere near as numerous event wise as was the one back in 2014; so far.

As for the underwater volcano mentioned in the OP, to date the eruptive volume places it in the VEI 3 range and roughly equivalent to what Vesuvius produced when it buried Pompei.

The main danger from this underwater volcano comes from a potential tsunami due to flank collapse as I mentioned in my follow up thread, "Ship spies newborn underwater volcano:"

In this review, we focus on the lessons that can be learnt from past events and address the influence of parameters such as volume flux of mass flows, explosion energy or duration of caldera collapse on tsunami generation.

Source mechanisms of volcanic tsunamis

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

I think that the whole inner-Earth system of core-mantle Overheating is the culprit

Well this could be it for sure. Thank you for reminding us there is a core issue here 😂 possibly literally.

So what happens when the core heats up and why is it heating up? Questions beget more questions.

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Oh I know that’s what I was questioning, will we begin to see another swarm at Yellowstone? In 2014 it hit I believe a 4.8 which was alarming for me. Was it waking up? Is it waking up?

Now, I’m ONLY assuming here ..
What if the earth begins cooling herself first in the sea, then land, which super volcano will go off on land that can aid the cooling she needs to sustain herself?

Another question which comes to mind is this..
What does our history show?

If this submarine volcano mentioned in the OP has anything to show us, wouldn’t it be safe to say it shows us there are many disturbances in the sea we are clueless about?

Another little something something I’ve noticed is all the quakes in CA. I wish the quake geeks were still around on Quake Watch so I could see their thoughts on the activity there this past year.

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: TaninimLong
a reply to: Arnie123

Some people grow accustomed to certain sounds, due to their daily life, and learn to ignore those sounds. Cars, fridge, etc. - some can sleep at those sounds, whereas they keep me awake.

Some people comment that my hearing is exceptional; but that is simply because I grew up in a different environment than most of them.
Kinda like when you're downstairs and could almost "feel"when someone turns on the TV?

Or is that different?

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   

This YouTube video.is what got me interested in this strange noise. This started back 2011, so it's been 8 years. Personally, I have not heard the so called hum in real life, even though I wanted to. I live an hour from the Maine coast, so I should have heard it by now, but nope.

m.youtube.com...

Since this took place in Florida, do you think it's caused by earthquakes in the ocean??

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I've been hearing the hum noise for a many years now. I can even hear it now as I type this. It never stops.

The last few years I've been hearing two tones, the usual low-frequency hum, and also a constant high-pitched tone. Both together. I can hear them now.

Sometimes there's also a mid-tone but this is never a constant unbroken tone like the others. More like 'beeps'. Some are long beeps about 3 or 4 seconds or so, others are short beeps about 1 second. Sometimes there are short gaps between beeps and sometimes there are longer gaps.

The high and low frequency tones are always there 24/7/52. But the beep-tone is only there sometimes.

It doesn't bother me at all or interfere with my life or anything, I've long since learned to 'tune it out' like one would with 'background noise'. Years ago I used to go round the house unplugging everything trying to find what was humming lol. Everything unplugged and I could still hear it. Even went outside to see if was louder or fainter wondering if it was coming from outside not inside, but it was just the same. No louder and no fainter.

I wonder why only some people can hear it and not others. Strange.

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: MamaJ
Hello fellow ATS’ers it’s been a hot minute since I created a thread so I’m having difficulties embedding a picture and every time I go from this site back to the article it deletes all I’ve written so sorry it’s not the best I’ve created but never the less it should be noted here on ATS where the HUM actually came from. If the article is correct which I believe it is, as it makes sense the HUM came from the ocean.

Years ago the speculation was ongoing regarding the Hum being heard around the world.

Some said it was trumpets 🎺 of God, some speculated it was coming from space while others like myself wondered if it was related to underwater volcano as there are many in our waters that go undetected.

For those interested take a look at the entire article.

A strange seismic event off the coast of Africa has led scientists to a mighty finding: the discovery of the largest underwater volcanic eruption ever recorded. The eruption also may explain a weird seismic event recorded in November 2018 just off the island of Mayotte, located between Madagascar and Mozambique in the Indian Ocean. Researchers described that event as a seismic hum that circled the world, but no one could figure out what sparked it. For starters, the hum rang at a single, ultralow frequency, which was strange because seismic waves usually rumble at many frequencies. Moreover, there were hardly any detectable "p-waves" or "s-waves," which usually accompany earthquakes. And, incredibly, the island of Mayotte moved a few inches south and east after the eruption.
Now, scientists have an idea why. This weird seismic hum was likely the birth announcement of a new underwater volcano, according to Science magazine.
www.google.com...

That's likely a source of a hum, but not the hum.

No offence to anyone here, but it always seems to be people who've never heard the hum who most easily believe they've found an origin. Yet I've never once come across anyone who has heard it and been confident they've found an origin.

I've experienced the hum in two different locations hundreds of miles apart. It always sounded mechanical in nature, certainly not natural, and always started at roughly the same time each night, give or take an hour or so. In both situations this was a relatively secluded area with no heavy industry, no heavy traffic, no nearby airport, seaport, building works, road works etc. Yet the regularity of the sound itself - and of its almost routine nightly appearance - would seem to rule it out as being a phenomenon of nature.

With the hum it really is a case of "You won't properly understand what it's about until you've heard it, and once you've heard it you'll understand even less!".

edit on 16-12-2019 by Motorhead because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   
the problem with trying to explain the hum with a single, centred geographical event is that if people all over the world can hear it then you'd expect it to be experienced by the vast vast majority of people, literally everywhere, in every city and town on earth, with places progressively closer to the epicenter having some sort of scenario where it would be, like, stopping traffic and business and so on with its volume.

instead we have a situation where statistically few people, in very scattered locations, heard something they couldn't explain. There was a lot of talk on sites like this but not at all what you would expect from a single event heard around the globe. and that's without factoring that it happened multiple times over the course of months... I'm sorry but it just don't fit.

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: doobydoll

I wonder why only some people can hear it and not others. Strange.

If you don't mind me asking, do you practice meditation of any kind?

If so, this could be one cause. The practice of meditation is and can be a practice of tuning your senses. If you know and already have a quiet mind, you are going to be more sensitive to these "earthly" frequencies.

That's my running theory anyways.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join