It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia Gov. Threatening to use NG to Enforce Gun Control

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+39 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Yes, Virginia, the governor really can use the National Guard to enforce gun control - Washington Examiner

Amy Swearer, a legal policy analyst who works on gun control issues, agreed that the governor has the right to use the Virginia National Guard to enforce the law, though it would break from past mobilizations.

“When you look at the historical reality of when governors or presidents have mobilized the National Guard, it has been to enforce the rights of citizens when they were being infringed upon,” Swearer told the Washington Examiner.

“But to suggest the National Guard would be brought in to otherwise peaceful jurisdictions to enforce restrictions on constitutional rights, that would be completely unprecedented in terms of how the National Guard has been used when it’s mobilized to restore law and order.”

Remember when democrats said "no one is coming for your guns"? Clearly that was a lie. Between O'Rourke's threat of "Hell yeah we're going to take your AR15", and Eric Swalwell's nuke threat.

Democrats want war. If they go through with this plan, that's exactly what they'll get.

μολὼν λαβέ

+25 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I think a state governor needs to use the national guard to enforce an abortion ban..
And a ban on homosexuality.....

See how that works..

+27 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Of course, the radical lefts progressive agenda, already they infect our schools.

This little snippet is of importance and a great metric as to what Trump kay do if such a drastic step is "Taken".

In 1954, Arkansas Gov. Orval Faubus directed the National Guard to “preserve the public peace” by turning away black students during the court-mandated integration of Little Rock’s Central High School. President Dwight Eisenhower reversed that decision by federalizing the state’s entire guard, ordering it to protect the students.

It's essentially political chess, if the State Gov goes this route, the POTUS can respond by Nationalizing the whole guard and invert their orders.

Historically, the Guard protects the rights of citizens as per their constitutional rights, never to surpress, but that's what the Democrat leadership is increasingly leaning towards, hmmm???

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
If you look at the history of Progressives, you'll see they trend towards the slippery slope of an issue more often than not.

Remember when the left was against "The Man"? There's your real party switch.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   

The real problem is that those seeking to preserve their rights are put into the position of having to take up arms against their NG when in fact they should be taking up arms against the anti-American Leftist Progressives in the crap bastard hell-hole cities. Thats where blood needs be spilled!

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   
What's sad is the fact that the politicians saying all this stuff won't be the ones on the front lines of this supposed war, it'll be you and whoever else you deem an enemy. They'll be sitting fat and happy in their luxury condo laughing at your gullibility in starting a war for them.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   
So, the idea that the National Guard, originally the individual state's militias, might get used by the governor Ralph Northam (D) of Virginia to enforce new state gun laws is proposed by Rep. Donald McEachin (D-Va.).

This actually prompted the National Guard to respond to these remarks by McEachin.

"We have received multiple questions regarding proposed legislation for the 2020 General Assembly session and the authority of the Governor of Virginia to employ the Virginia National Guard in a law enforcement role," Maj. Gen. Timothy Williams, the Adjutant General of the Virginia National Guard, said in a statement. "We understand and respect the passion people feel for the U.S. Constitution and 2nd Amendment rights. We will not speculate about the possible use of the Virginia National Guard,"

Sounds like some tough talk for these Second Amendment Sanctuary counties making a stand against the proposed gun legislation.

Northam brought up the new laws after more than 70 places in Virginia plan on declaring themselves Second Amendment Sanctuaries. In Second Amendment Sanctuaries, cities have the option of not using public funds to enforce laws that could restrict the gun rights of residents.

News Week Article

Somehow I doubt the governor would have the Gaul to pull that one and I'm not sure if the Guard would comply with such orders. Let's see what governor Northam says, or doesn't say, about this proposed use of the National Guard.
edit on 14-12-2019 by MichiganSwampBuck because: For Clarity

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Thats where blood needs be spilled!

You sound eager to do some killing.

"Don't think... FEEEEEEL! Give into your emotions, ignore logic." - Politicians and the media
edit on 12/14/2019 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Doubt it would work. I have family in the NG and they would fight on the civilians side of it came to it. But the most reasonable answer I get is they would be willing to be punished for not following direct order.

ETA: You gotta remember they would be fighting to restrict their own rights and they know it.
edit on 14-12-2019 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   

This is what the leftists want.

It’s not by popular consent, their rules must be enforced by arms.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

And that's exactly how they WANT you to feel, which is exactly why they say and do the things they do.

Go ahead, let your emotions control you.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I would not be surprised if the same NG supports the will of the people to seize the governor.

They should.

+28 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

And that's exactly how they WANT you to feel, which is exactly why they say and do the things they do.

Go ahead, let your emotions control you.

?

Have you gone insane?

I mean really, do we need to call someone? A caretaker?

I make a factual observation and you immediately go full retard.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Virginia scares me at the moment, a lot of really bad precedents could be set in that state over the next 12 months, or the people could win and push back against some of the insanity.

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Political leadership at the state level should be doing the work of the will of the people.

If it is the will of the people that severe gun control be done, then there’d be no need to use threats of force .

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Yes, we should all just stand down and let OUR elected officials tell us what we can and can not do. I can't wait for the camps! So, if this happens you'd be all for just business as usual because it fits your agenda? Lick those boots!

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Insane how? By calling it how I see it? I guess I'm insane then, cal a therapist if it makes you feel better about your own opinion.

You do realize that bigots use the same sort of logic to rationalize their own bigotry, right? Just call opposing opinions or cultures a mental illness or defect.

Where that badge proudly.

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I honestly have no idea what you are going on about.

Really.

I’ll ignore you now until a time when you start making some sense.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Sadly, this is nothing more than a furtherance of Northam’s anti-gun agenda. Over a month ago he refused to say he was opposed to confiscation of firearms by force. Now we know why.

Outside of northern Virginia there is a strong pro-gun culture in Virginia, and what we’re witnessing is what happens when a densely populated area tries to tell everybody else what they can and can’t do. The really sad part is that up until the last few days the NRA, which is headquartered in Virginia, had been largely hands off. The 2A sanctuary movement has been almost entirely grassroots with little to no big money support.
edit on 14-12-2019 by Shamrock6 because: Typo

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   
(AP) Richmond. Virginia Governor orders National Guard to go house to house and remove weapons.

3 hours later

(AP) Richmond. Virginia Governor mansion stormed by National Guard. Governor’s whereabouts unknown.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join