It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My personal view of the 2019 UK election

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Freebornwell said

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI i think the labourites lent the tories there vote to get out of europe as there politicians don't listen to them it's up to boris weather he does enough for them whether he keeps their votes in the future

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: themove1904 wow

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Petra137

Scotland doesnt want out of the EU given our voting history

we will deconstruct the union by leaving and with it a blow to the tories and their rule over the UK

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   
It was a fantastic day for democracy and the realisation the youth needed, that there's more to a political campaign than twitter rants and Instagram stories.

I'm in my 20s. What I saw from my generation during the campaign and after the result was sickening.

They all need to grow up, wipe their tears and carry on with their university studies. See them all in 15 years when they've been paying taxes and living a real life and they'll realise how much of a train wreck the current Labour ideology is.

And no. I'm not a Tory and never will be. Before anyone tries to bash them, go right ahead. It never made the opposition any more desirable.
edit on 17-12-2019 by MrConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: MrConspiracy

the tories are full of #s ye widnae even piss oan if they were on fire though

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

So effectively what you're saying is that you and the majority of Scots would rather turn your back on your fellow Brits and align yourself with continental Europeans and an undemocratic organisation like the EU that has no particular allegiance or bond with Scotland.

Though I'd hate to see it happen I can however fully understand and respect the desire for a truly independent Scotland.

I can not say the same for wanting an 'independent' Scotland which is hanging onto the EU's tit, an EU that owes Scotland absolutely nothing and that would seek to exploit Scotland's wish for membership to the fullest.
The way the EU is progressing all notions of nationhood will soon be nothing but a distant memory and I suspect there'll be a deep yearning for the devolved powers you now have.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

we will deconstruct the union by leaving and with it a blow to the tories and their rule over the UK

Probably not the thread for it mate but the SNP got 45% of the vote in Scotland. Unionist parties got 55% of the vote. This is basically consistent with all the more recent independence polls. There is therefore more support for the Union than for independence, even with Brexit.

Why should the minority be able to force independence? Sounds rather dictatorial....

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson

They(MSM) were trying to push, interfere if you will, to a left leaning government. If it wasn’t for state run media, would the votes for the right side of the isle been greater? If you agree the media helped the left, then the media did ‘their job’

I'm staying out of this thread because I don't know where to start. The evidence is out there, plenty of it, but rarely in the headlines that so many people use to spin assumption upon assumption. We get the governments we deserve and it will interesting to see if anyone here has changed their view in a year or two's time.

But I have to say that the MSM was trying to push a left-leaning government s plainly bizarre.

Let's look at the MSM in the UK.

First you have the public service broadcasters - BBC, ITV, Four and Five. Ofcom aside, they are accused of right wing bias by the left and left wing bias by the right. For every Boris Johnson hiding in a fridge there's 32 appearances from Nigel (no MPs) Farage. For every Andrew Neil (more about him later) chasing Johnson there's an Andrew Neil ripping Jeremy Corbyn to shreds. They have plenty of enemies in the rest of the MSM because the public service broadcasters are the premier league.

Then we have talk radio. Main talk radio station in the UK? LBC. Presenters include James O'Brien (liberal). Shelagh Fogarty (moderate left), Nick Ferrari (right - writes for the Daily Express, see below), Andrew Pierce (right - consultant editor for the Daily Mail, see below), Andrew Castle (right - Daily Mail columnist), Majid Nawaz (libertarian - pal of Jordan Petersons and contributor to Quillette), Tom Swarbrick (centre right - former bag carrier for Theresa May at number 10), and Nigel Farage (THE Nigel Farage). Let's not quibble, let's call that more or less balanced too)

And then we have the main newspapers and news magazines

The Daily Mail - right wing, pro Conservative, pro Brexit, owned by the DGMT (an offshore trust for the billionaire Harmsworth / Rothermere family)
I - centrist, no party position, no position on Brexit, owned by DGMT with Russian and Saudi backing
The Sun - right wing, pro Conservative, pro Brexit, owned by News Corporation (prop. the billionaire Rupert Murdoch, the man who said “When I go into Downing Street, they do what I say; when I go to Brussels, they take no notice.”)
The Times - right wing, pro Conservative, pro Brexit, owned by the same News Corp.
The Telegraph - right wing, pro Conservative, pro Brexit, owned by the non-dom billionaire Barclay Brothers, has Boris Johnson on the staff
The Express - right wing, pro Conservative, pro Brexit, owned by the Trinity Mirror Group (a business that plays to both sides because there's money to made on both sides)
The Star - right wing, pro Conservative, pro Brexit, owned by Trinity Mirror
The Mirror - left wing, pro Labour, ambiguous about Brexit, owned by Trinity Mirror
The Guardian - liberal, pro-Labour on the whole, against Brexit, owned by itself.
The Financial Times - centre to right, pro-the best party for business at any given time, studiously objective about Brexit, owned by Nikkei (as in Nikkei Index)
The Spectator - right wing, pro Conservative, pro Brexit, owned by the Barclay Brothers (who also own the Ritz hotel in London) and has Boris Johnson and Andrew (BBC) Neil on the staff.
The Economist - right wing, pro-the best party for business at any given time, studiously objective about Brexit, owned by various instutions through a trust.
The New Statesman - left wing, pro Labour, on the fence about Brexit but in favour of a second referendum, privately owned by businessman Mike Danson.

How and why would this bunch be anywhere near in favour of a left leaning government?

Ach. It's hard to not go into the whole "Boris and the People vs the Elites" fantasy here but I will resist the temptation.

It's a broad rule of thumb that the real news is in the FT and Private Eye instead of the Times and the Mirror, not on the front page but in the technical articles on the inside pages of the broadsheets, not in primary legislation but in the statutory instruments that don't need to be laid before Parliament. If people can so badly misread the 40 point headlines, there is no way they are going to pick up the latest local NHS service to be privatised or the change in a conditional verb in the proposed Brexit agreement.

Ach. It's hard not to go into what happens now with Boris's promised oven ready deal, you know, the one that he is already pretending doesn't really exist.

Enough words.

A plague on both your houses.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
So effectively what you're saying is that you and the majority of Scots would rather turn your back on your fellow Brits and align yourself with continental Europeans and an undemocratic organisation like the EU that has no particular allegiance or bond with Scotland.

The EU is no less democratic than Britain. Who runs our local NHS trust? Our schools? Our army recruitment? Our police stations? Nobody we voted for. Nobody we can name.

At the risk of sounding like an American, the Scots have a longer history with continental Europe than with England. Look it up.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

originally posted by: sapien82

Probably not the thread for it mate but the SNP got 45% of the vote in Scotland. Unionist parties got 55% of the vote. This is basically consistent with all the more recent independence polls. There is therefore more support for the Union than for independence, even with Brexit.

Why should the minority be able to force independence? Sounds rather dictatorial....

45% is about the same as voted for pro brexit parties.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whodathunkdatcheese

originally posted by: Freeborn

The EU is no less democratic than Britain. Who runs our local NHS trust? Our schools? Our army recruitment? Our police stations? Nobody we voted for. Nobody we can name.

At the risk of sounding like an American, the Scots have a longer history with continental Europe than with England. Look it up.

Clearly the EU with its hereditary head of state, unelected second chamber, undemocratic first past the post system and unwritten constitution is less democratic than the UK...

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

Thanks for your factual list of MSM, i mention it often that the majority MSM is not left leaning in the UK, I think people on ATS get confused and count social media, which IMO is just a waste of time, the papers have been pushing BJ as a saviour for a long time now with 'the sun' trying to be subtle, lol, maybe not, not sure the sun has ever been subtle

I myself voted for brexit but abstained from the general election due to both main parties being useless and I wonder what NF will do next to try and stay relevant, i bet he still claiming his MEP expenses though

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

No

that is not what Scotland is saying

we just dont want to be ruled by another country , and before you bang on about the EU doing it

SNP is just about independence, once we have that we can decide what happens after.

What do you mean they dont have a bond with scotland ?
have we not been trading with the EU more than the rest of the UK
has scotland not always been a friend to european nations ?

I mean scotland trades more with the EU , than scotland trades with any other UK nation

edit on 18-12-2019 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

its not a minority in Scotland SNP won 80% of the vote

no other party has a mandate in Scotland

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 06:41 AM
link   

we just dont want to be ruled by another country , and before you bang on about the EU doing it

SNP is just about independence, once we have that we can decide what happens after.

Yet you and other supporters of Scottish independence repeatedly state that Scotland voted to Remain in the EU and use that as some sort of justification for IndyRef2.

If as you say voting SNP is only about Scottish independence why do you keep on going on about Scotland's wish to Remain?

It really is getting to the point where rUK will simply say go and good riddance.

You know I have an enormous amount of time and respect for Scotland and its people but this constant whining and moaning is getting ridiculous.
There comes a point in one's life where you simply have to get your head down and put in some hard #ing graft and take stock later.
It seems to me that the SNP spend an inordinate amount of time in blaming Westminster and England for all of Scotland's problems, pushing the myth that an independent Scotland will be some magic land of bliss and harmony and very little real time actually governing and getting things #ing done.

I'd suggest the SNP would be better served concentrating on improving what they can with the not inconsiderable amount of control and power they have at their disposal NOW and prove to people what a good job they could do and then compare to what you are convinced will be a shockingly awful job Boris is going to do.

As for Scotland and the EU....good luck, you'll need it.
They openly state that they wish to limit and then reduce the power of national assemblies.
Instead of increased power Scotland will see a massive reduction in control over its own laws....but that seems to be what you want to go so that's entirely up to you.

I wish Scotland no ill, quite the opposite.....I am sick of the constant moaning.
That so many seem to have this blind faith in the SNP and/or the EU is quite frankly beyond my understanding.

I didn't want Boris Johnson and The Tories in Downing Street.
But they are and that's the simple realities of life.
And I know there's absolutely # all I can do about it.
So the only course left for me at present is to go about my life the best I can trying my best to provide for my family, have a few laughs here and there whilst trying my best to stick to my own personal moral code and judge events as they happen.
In a year or two time I might be in a position where I can judge Boris and his cronies on their performance rather than their words and election promises.

Looks to me like so many people's minds are shut and are locked in the pre-conceived opinions and are unable to judge on actual acts and deeds.

After the last Scottish independence referendum - a process you and many supporters of a second EU referendum appear to have little respect for - Nicola Sturgeon herself accepted that one of the single biggest criteria for there being any IndyRef2 was for their to be a significant rise in the number supporting Scottish independence from numerous and a series of sources.
All recent polls - including the very recent General Election - suggest support is around the 45% mark.
Is that a 'significant increase'?

As said previously, sometimes you just got to get on with things and make the best of any given situation......some times life has a habit of surprising you and things work out pretty well.....some times they don't.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Aye ok man , its the same response I get after a while

Moaning and whinging

call it what ye want , its better than any other alternative

its better than fire and sword .

In the end though , ATS and its opinions on Scotland and its independence to quote the Duke of Argyle " are like kites in the wind"

it is up to the people of Scotland and I just hope that we make the right choice

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Its not just you mate.
Many Scots on here seem to enjoy their 'moaning and whinging' as do many in real life.

Sure, you can still have a bit of craic with them but its becoming increasingly less and less.

As I used to say to solo, it must be incredibly tedious and draining.

I asked some specific questions, no answers.
That doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things but it might be worthwhile thinking about them a bit.

Sent you a PM.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   

For a guy that voted Tory and seems to be in denial about it, them's some high and mighty words right there

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Told you before but it appears your comprehension skills are sadly very poor.....I didn't vote Tory and neither did I vote Labour.

It's not really that hard to understand....is it?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join