It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Topic of the Day: Respect

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I believe there two sides to the same coin and if they could communicate with each other, they might be able to see the whole thing! I think that's where I'll leave it.
edit on Sat Dec 14 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: New (old) Standards Are Being Enforced (again) For New Threads

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

How often have you admitted to being wrong?

Just asking because perhaps the first step is realizing that the other person might be right.

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
I believe there two sides to the same coin and if they could communicate with each other, they might be able to see the whole thing! I think that's where I'll leave it.

That all checks out, to me.

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 11:19 PM
link   

If you drop a coin, one side has its face buried in the sand, and the other is blinded by the hot sun. Both sides are without power or hope to stand upright and evenly yoked.

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 11:23 PM
link   

It's human nature for both sides of the coin to never completely work together or agree. We're highly evolved primates, glorified chimpanzees that walk upright and shed their hair through evolution and breeding.

I think everyone should force themselves (if uninterested) to watch a documentary on chimps in the wild to study their psychological and social dynamic, their behaviors. They'll see that they're much like savage, violent children but do all of the same things we do in groups.

But God and.. ancient aliens, other dimensions, the spirit realm, souls and a special purpose, afterlife but only for this species of animal and stuff like that. Right..

Whatever gets you through the night. I wish I could still believe in those things, it felt good not to face a bleak and cold reality.

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Might some folks say that there are three sides to a coin, where the third side, is the edge ?

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingSquirrel

originally posted by: FlyingSquirrel

But God and.. ancient aliens, other dimensions, the spirit realm, souls and a special purpose, afterlife but only for this species of animal and stuff like that. Right..

Whatever gets you through the night. I wish I could still believe in those things, it felt good not to face a bleak and cold reality.

I see, thanks for your perspective. This makes sense. What if the religions modified their beliefs to come into line with scientific knowledge and advances? Or they learned to keep their beliefs independent of their politics? Like, they could have religion and faith dictate doctrine within the church, but not use it for government business.

What if religions realized they were cultural structures, basically? Even Christianity has branched into multiple churches, do we really want any one of them to influence politics outside of their church? Government policies should be made on philosophies, which also have to be testable. A great way to do this is with science and the scientific method. If a certain philosophy doesn't work as effectively as another, it should be discarded, or maybe learn and evolve.

But - also, two opposing political forces, representing different interests, could work things out between them however it might work better if they can agree on a set of facts. Science is a great way to get those. I would recommend more of it! Conservatives don't seem to trust it, I think it might be an emotional reaction based on cognitive dissonance with their beliefs. However, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to double-check, with legitimate studies.

Also, understanding each other's belief systems, their origins, maybe their wants and fears could help in negotiations.
edit on 14amSat, 14 Dec 2019 01:22:23 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

originally posted by: DBCowboy

How often have you admitted to being wrong?

Just asking because perhaps the first step is realizing that the other person might be right.

I come on here trying to learn perspectives from the other side. If I see a legitimate criticism with it, I'll bring it up. I would like to cite sources more often but have been lazy. I also try to look into your viewpoint a bit. The whole idea is to try and troubleshoot each others' views. I also have not had as much time to focus on in-depth analysis as I would like.

Yes, your quote is right for both of us.
edit on 14amSat, 14 Dec 2019 01:22:53 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

Might some folks say that there are three sides to a coin, where the third side, is the edge ?

Interesting, what do you think it's like there?

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   
OP I agree. We could learn so much from each other if only we listened.

ATS People get me down sometimes, too.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Learned a long time to put my hands up when wrong because then you are no longer wrong, appreciation of truth should always come first.

In terms of the OP I have often wondered if you find complete balance of a circle you will fall straight through the middle into some sort of omniscience.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Gerrman saying: "The way you shout into the forest is how it comes back" [Echo].

I am one of the most polite people you could ever meet, online I never insult or swear as it leads to nothing. However I give as good as I get with facts.
You won't believe how often I get called names and words that do not apply to me in the least. Some of them are really insulting, like racist, bigot or the favourite nazi or effing this effing that, shut your effing mouth you effing such and such.

I won't even then raise to the bait but a lot of people will and rightly so if it makes them feel better, it's just not for me.
What I have realised is that if one side tries to be reasonable and the other plays as dirty as kids on a playground, there comes a point where they poked the bear one time too many, only to then shout "see I knew you don't have any respect".

Everyone says that there are two sides to a coin, but we are not coins, we are people with life experiences and based upon those opinions that make sense to us. Also one opinion can very much be worth more or be actually better than another one. To figure this out needs life experience, which some people just do not have yet.

Respect needs to be earned.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Respect is the same thing as fear!

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666
Don't agree that respect should be earned at all, I'm respectful to every person I meet right up Untill they disrespect me, then I'm a different animal, I wear a different mask. we are all conditioned differently and everyone one of us have it tough at times, some more than others, everybody deserves respect.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   

yup, edge of the coin, baby, the only way to roll

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Respect is said to be earned, and not given, even though everyone could use just a little a bit.

But that goes without saying, it is better to look like a fool or an ass, then to realize one actually is.

But again, just a little bit.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Interesting, what do you think it's like there?

Hi DB.
Don't really know, am probably just rapping on ideas.

Maybe the coin is oldish, and the edge well worn ?
Perhaps there are many ribs around the coin, some scarred, and worn unevenly ?

Although the edge may appear to have texture, it is not really either side of the coin, no ?

Neither right, nor wrong ?
Neither good, nor bad ?
Neither one, nor zero ?
Neither true, nor false ?

Whatever the sides are not ?

Undefined; unsure; unattached; unclear; undone; unconvinced; unconvincing; unknown... ?

The absence of opinions/beliefs/temporary ideas/observations/thoughts/concepts ?

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: tjack

Ah ha !
Rolling coin eh ?
Saw what you did there, good one ! LoL !
edit on 14-12-2019 by Nothin because: sp

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: carsforkids

It is at times. Respect in communication can be a basic human need for equilibrium...or safety; while fear can be an instinctual warning that equilibrium is somehow out of whack and should be looked at, worked on, and righted.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

That checks out to me too.

top topics

join