It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctor Octopus' sun in his hand becomes real?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

I haven't a clue into the laws of physics but this seems interesting. Is there any chance though that we could misinterpret fusion reactions? Could this really give an alternative power source?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I think its entirely possible, it would just take a lot of safety procautions. I also question the safety behind this, it will be a clearn way supposedly but if I get my fusion right this will create a large increase in power. Something maybe not something we would be able to handle. (If you read it where are we going to get the 100million degree plasma is calls for.)

Interesting fact: You know we were always taught in school there are 3 forms of matter? So far we have found 6, 3 are only reproducable under certain extreme conditions though.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
they have managed fusion several times but each time it only lasted something like 0.000001 seconds and cost so much and used so much power that there was no benifet at all. currently the power required > the power put out and this is the major thing to over come

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
6? i thought it was 5 at last count, including the bois-ion condensate and plasma...

forgive me for the misspelling

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I think its entirely possible, it would just take a lot of safety procautions. I also question the safety behind this, it will be a clearn way supposedly but if I get my fusion right this will create a large increase in power. Something maybe not something we would be able to handle. (If you read it where are we going to get the 100million degree plasma is calls for.)

Safety concersn, even now, are far less than that for Fission. If the plasma ring ever deteriotes, and leaks out of the Electromagnetic torus that contains it it will cool, then as soon as it touches the side of the reactor it will begin to cool even more and dissipate.

The risks of explosion are minimal. At the very worst, you will end up with a buggered reactor, and a few embarressed scientists and technicians wondering what went wrong.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Well either way France is going to have it their way, another article i read a while ago stated that they would build their own reactor whether they get backing or not.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
While taking an electromagnetics course, I spoke to my professor about this project. He told me that no human-made fusion reaction has ever produced more energy than was put in to it. The hope of the scientists behind ITER is that if they can make a big enough reactor, they might be able to actually generate power from it. In theory, at least, there is no reason why fusion would not work as a viable energy source; after all, that is how stars work. When you ask if "we could misinterpret fusion reactions", I'm not exactly sure what you mean. If you mean, could we mistake some other sort of reaction for fusion, I seriously doubt it.

For more information, try www.iter.org...

If fusion reactions could be perfected, they could produce even more energy than nuclear (fission) reactions, they would be safer (no meltdowns) and much cleaner environmentally.

new topics

top topics

join