It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open source Dreamweaver replacement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I recently did a thread on Notepad ++ as an all-around great free scripting language editor. HTML, PHP Javascript and the like. ATS Member Medusa18 mentioned liking Dreamweaver. I agreed that when I owned a licensed copy I lost due to a lightning strike frying my motherboard I lost it. Medusa18's mention of Dreamweaver made me want to search for an open-source replacement for it. The closest I could find is called, BlueGriffon® which is a WYSIWYG content editor much like Dreamweaver. The free version has far more features than the last Dreamweaver I owned 6.0. It is based on the Mozilla Gecko core but they have added a lot of value to it thus a paid full version. The free version is lacking very little and I have found it very useful so far. If you like Dreamweaver but don't happen to have the $21 per month to spare for a paid subscription to have it you might give Blue Griffon a spin.

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Nice find, appreciate the share and shoutout lol

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Ill check it out. What are your throughts on using css grid over libraries such as bootstrap? It is often argued css gris is better but i have not encountered a practical example in all my code for responsive sites.

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Not that I require at the moment but thanks for mentioning its existence, still don't think it's as good as Bootstrap, but it's a nice backup

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

I will admit I have been out of coding for some time. I hired out help with that regard for nearly a decade as I was persuing quantum communication technology and low energy nuclear reactions for transmutation synthesis of rare isotopes. I am in the process in my semi-retirement of catching up on coding in general. I was not familiar with bootstrap or the jQuery library. Now I am clued in and will be learning about those utilities. Thanks, folks.

edit on 12/13/2019 by machineintelligence because: entry error

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I took a look at Bootstrap. I would not consider it a replacement for Dreamweaver or Blue Griffon. It is more like a library you can call up for creating a style sheet it seems to me.

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 04:07 AM
link   

You should reserve judgement until you actually use it

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Perhaps I missed the download for the WYSIWYG editor portion. All I found were the CSS and Javascript libraries.

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander

Ill check it out. What are your throughts on using css grid over libraries such as bootstrap? It is often argued css gris is better but i have not encountered a practical example in all my code for responsive sites.

If you use a Stylus with a plugin called s-grid then css grids are a sinch! Super awesome. I combine that with something like nib or axis and you have absolutely no need for bootstrap. I'm sure you can use bootstrap with stylus somehow.

I honestly can't imagine writing raw CSS ever again lol. Sass/Less or Stylus are the way to go.

top topics

join