It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BRAVO to the British population for electing the strongest Conservative majority since Thatcher !

page: 15
<< 12  13  14   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: eletheia

Aye I think yer talking #e considering SNP got the highest votes in any general election in the past 50 years of the vote share , we got 45%

SNP secured 45% of the scottish vote in that general election which is higher than any other vote share in the rest of the UK

we won 48 out of the total of 59 or something , Scotlands voice has clearly spoken and its SNP unity

so your comments about scotland not sharing my opinion is rubbish

we had a voter turn out of 68%

the stats dont lie

2019 election results

Well 52% of the UK voted to leave the EU with a 72.2% turnout, but a lot of people don't seem to think that is enough to justifying leaving, so why should 45% with a 68% turnout be any better?
edit on 17 12 2019 by PaddyInf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

But my friend if we were to extrapolate that 45% as pro-independence that would mean 55% against independence.
Effectively little change since the last referendum and hardly the significant change that would justify calls for IndyRef2 as even Nicola Sturgeon herself recognised after your last referendum.

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: jamespond
a reply to: M5xaz

What version of history is this? Do you just make things up in your head and spout off or did Alex Jones tell you this?

The collapse of sterling was due to piss poor management of the economy by, who.......? Oh that's right it was Thatcher's tory government.

Soros made a ton of money because he saw it coming. To say he caused it is completely false.

Do you work for the conservatives by any chance? If not, you certainly have the right character profile.

Hello Einstein,
The pound soared on the election of Boris.
Currencies DROP on the election of leftist regimes.

If you prefer to defend remorseless Nazi-collaborator Soros, that reflects on you:

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Debunkology

originally posted by: M5xaz
Congrats are in order for our British friends for rejecting the LIES of just about every major media outlet, some that were FALSELY claiming that there was only a 6% difference between the Tories and Labour, others again FALSELY pushing the narrative that Corbyn could be the next PM.

The people of the UK have sent a STRONG mandate for Brexit and for FREEDOM from the utterly undemocratic, corrupt and failing EU.

Bravo!!!

The so called "Conservative Government" has now won the past FOUR UK general elections. And it amazes me how Americans (And British) think this is like voting against the establishment.

There will be no draining of the swamp. I'm amazed how so many people on ATS cannot see this?

What happened to this forum?

It amazes me that ANYONE can even consider voting for Marxist Corbyn, a far far worse alternative.

Read a book sometime, like on history.
Learn something

posted on Dec, 17 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: McGinty

originally posted by: M5xaz
Congrats are in order for our British friends for rejecting the LIES of just about every major media outlet, some that were FALSELY claiming that there was only a 6% difference between the Tories and Labour, others again FALSELY pushing the narrative that Corbyn could be the next PM.

Are you serious?

The media has been anti Corbyn throughout, particularly the BBC and their Tory flag waving political anchor Laura Kunsberg. Every section of the establishment, including the media has been terrified that Corbyn might get in and halt the gravy train of the rich 1%.

And of course he was cited as a possible next PM - it was general election!

It would seem that a little knowledge is indeed a dangerous thing.

The Beeb is Conservative now, not the fact-free, PC far left narcissist HQ we all know it to be ?

Are you serious ?

Or maybe the Mandela effect is real and I just stepped into an alternate universe...

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: PaddyInf

I was highlighting that no other party really has a mandate in Scotland , apart from the SNP
scotland has voted in a clear majority that we support the SNP
and their mandate

Thing is SNP won 80% of the vote in scotland
SNP won 47 out of 59 seats

no other party has a mandate in Scotland because we have vote outright for SNP

and the conservatives cant stop scotlands independence from happening

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Thing is SNP won 80% of the vote in scotland
SNP won 47 out of 59 seats

Wow, how to abuse statistics.

In fact of those who voted in the General election the SNP achieved a vote of less than 4% for the UK and 45% of the Scottish voting public. Hardly a majority.

The populist and divisive nationalists may paint this as a vindication for a second referendum, but Sturgeon made the election about "...keeping Boris out of government" and not about independence per se. She failed.
edit on 18/12/2019 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

how is that an abuse of statistics

SNP clearly won a majority of the scottish vote

how can it be painted in any other way ?

Scotland voted in favour of the SNP and their mandate

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 06:40 AM
link   

I have heard personally from many Scot's, blogs and 'letters' to the editor

I have read etc.

When the subject of an independent Scotland comes up the answer is always

*Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP doesn't speak for me and ALL of Scotland even

though she thinks she does!*

In this last election Corbyn and McDonald were adamant they would win the

election........and WHAT HAPPENED

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   

a reply to: paraphi

The SNP won most of the seats, not most of the votes.

45% of voters in Scotland voted SNP.
55% voted elsewhere.

In the same way that the Conservatives won most seats in the election, but had only 43.6% of the total votes.

Welcome to first past the post electoral system. In a direct, binary vote such as a referendum however, the SNP would not have a mandate to for independence with these numbers as they make up less than half the total votes. It is unlikely that all people who voted SNP did so on the basis of independence.

Therefore there is little evidence to support that Scotland would vote for independence.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 06:59 AM
link   

I think its wrong to casually dismiss calls for IndyRef2 and its foolish simply to ignore the FACT that the SNP won so many seats and votes.
But I also think that its worth pointing out that the percentage of votes received fails to meet the criteria Nicola Sturgeon herself set out post IndyRef to justify any IndyRef2.

We - as in the UK government - need to enter in to serious discussion with our Scottish, Northern Irish and even Welsh elected representatives and discuss why they feel so alienated from the Union and what 'we' have to do to start repairing relationships and moving forward together.
The same could also be said about England and even some of the regions within England.

The insulting indifference shown so far by Boris doesn't bode well, but let's hope once the initial excitement of the election wears off and the realities of government take over he will take a more pragmatic and positive approach.

edit on 18/12/19 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I was not suggesting to dismiss it.

My point was that Sapien stated that 80% of votes went to the SNP, which means Scotland would vote for independence. However it was 45% that actually voted for them, not 80%. Using these numbers only, this does not support his assertion.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Maybe a too little too late I think Mate

that time has passed , I dont think there is anything the UK government can do now to change the minds of those who want independence.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Maybe a too little too late I think Mate

that time has passed , I dont think there is anything the UK government can do now to change the minds of those who want independence.

It's a minority in Scotland who want independence, so the UK Govt don't really need to change anyone's mind.

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Maybe they don't need to but it might help things if they at least engaged with them and tried to alleviate some of the worries, address some of the issues and simply entered into reasoned and respectful discourse with them.

Of course it cuts both ways and the same would be expected of the SNP and other concerned bodies.

I suspect that's too much to expect of any of them.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Just thought I'd post this video of Alan Johnson.....couldn't have said it any better.

It's hard to watch that odious little creep Gideon smirking whilst watching Alan let rip at Jon Lansman.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Aye nae bother mate

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 07:04 AM
link   

I wasnt talking about the UK vote share

Im talking about how Scotland voted as a nation

80% of the vote was SNP

isnt that a clear enough message that the tories, labour and lib dem have no mandate in scotland

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I wasnt talking about the UK vote share

Im talking about how Scotland voted as a nation

80% of the vote was SNP

isnt that a clear enough message that the tories, labour and lib dem have no mandate in scotland

The level of ignorance of the UK voting system in this thread is worrying.

45% of SCOTISH votes were for SNP. They only got 3.9% of the total UK votes.

You obviously don't know the difference between constituency share and voting numbers.

1'242'380 people voted SNP (45% of those that voted in Scotland)
692'939 voted Conservative (25.1%)
263'417 voted Lib Dem (9.5%)
511'838 went Labour (18.6%)
The rest were independents.

45% of the votes yielded 80% of the seats. This is what happens in a first past the post electoral system - not all votes are equal.

Under proportional representation the results would have been;

SNP 27 seats
Conservative 15 seats
Lib Dem 6 seats
Labour 11 seats.

SNP still would have won in Scotland, but it would be a minority government. This is representative of how votes would be cast if all votes were equal, such as in a public referendum. Certainly not enough to force any mandates.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   

right confusion between the 45% for the vote share and how that translates to seats won aye

but what Im saying is scotland voted for SNP by majority
clearly stating that the tories , labour and lib dems can get tae #

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14   >>

join