It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The House just passed an ambitious bill to lower prescription drug prices

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Source

House Democrats just passed an ambitious bill to lower prescription drug prices after resolving internal conflicts that threatened to sink the legislation as recently as this week. The Senate is expected to give the bill the same treatment it’s given hundreds of others: it won’t take it up.

So, lower prices for all, but the senate will not take it up? Why the hell not?

This bill, also known as H.R.3, the Elijah Cummings Lower Drug Costs Now Act, would dramatically change the power that the US government has to directly negotiate drug prices for Medicare recipients — resulting in more than $450 billion in spending reductions for the program over the course of a decade. These savings would be offset, in part, by costs tied to expanding dental, vision and hearing coverage for Medicare recipients, a policy change also included in the bill, according to an estimate from the Congressional Budget Office.

Does anyone get tired of our government not doing what is right?

Why will the Senate not take this up?

There are over 200 bills waiting for the Senate to address that have been passed by the house. What is the Senate waiting for? The return of Christ?

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: KrankBruder

Have you read the bill?

It's crap and would actually raise drug prices.

It's basically Obamacare to the pharmaceutical industry.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Here is the best I can find.

Republicans stand in opposition of H.R. 3 — saying it does more harm than good.

“H.R. 3 does not allow the innovation that Americans, my former patients and my constituents want in healthcare,” Congressman John Joyce, R-Pennsylvania, said.

Joyce said a better solution would be H.R. 19 — also called the Lower Costs, More Cures Act.

“We now have cures for melanoma, we now have cures for lung cancer and H.R. 19 allows that innovation to continue. H.R. 3, unfortunately, stops that innovation.”

The House is scheduled to vote on the legislation Thursday.

Link
edit on 12-12-2019 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Here was my thread on it

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I think Trump is pushing this bill. Lower costs, better negotiations with pharma, end to monopoly...

What is not to like?

Also, Trump wants lower prices for drugs. Why are you against this? Because it is an outcome of former laws that Obama pushed for? That is not bright. If someone has an idea that would help people, would you be against it because you don't like the person?

Go with the good, dude. Get less angry.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Have you read the bill and do you completely understand it? it sounds good on the surface, but opens the door for more spending without actually setting in stone the negotiation process to lower drug cost. it looks like a great way to generate more graft for congressmen to me.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   

it would place a 95% new tax on drugs.

I have to ask why YOU want to double the cost of Insulin for poor people???

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

it would place a 95% new tax on drugs.

I have to ask why YOU want to double the cost of Insulin for poor people???

Since when is cost to the poor a consideration? Big Pharma just wants the dollars. In the US insulin cost 3X what it costs in Mexico or Canada. Why? Because of the laws passed by congress to protect US interests. Go to Europe and get insulin for free.

They are not as sensitive to corporate interests as they are to human.

In the US you treat the poor like sub-humans, and seem proud of it. Don't lecture me about your heath system, that allows the "poors" to die. Americans have a lot to answer for about how they treat their fellow countrymen.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   

You're advocating for higher drug prices and you're on MY ASS because I'm against it?

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Not on your ass. On your congress's ass.

Just want the prices in line with what other nations mandate. You have to agree it is pretty stupid that the US government, by law, prevent the CMMI, medicare, medicade, and other agencies from negotiation in drug prices when they pay for those drugs. Why is that? Why do you stand for that?

You folks should be up in arms! The US govt. pays about 1/5 of all presriptions, yet they are prevented from negotiation on price?

What the hell is that?

Why do you stand for that?

If you are 1/5 th of the market, you should get some breaks.

Maybe get Walmart to negotiate for your country next time.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Well, it seems the Dims have found a little time to try to screw up healthcare even more in-between their fake impeachment circus. I don’t want government involved with my healthcare. Everything the government touches turns to crap. Fact.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   

The negotiated maximum price may not exceed (1) 120% of the average price in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan, and the United Kingdom; or (2) if such information is not available, 85% of the U.S. average manufacturer price. Drug manufacturers that fail to comply with the bill's negotiation requirements are subject to civil and tax penalties.

1. Problem is the currency exchange rate.

2. Problem they're ripping off drug companies.

3. Problem. Kickbacks to the CMS.

And that's on from just the summary.

Progressives wrote so you know the rest is snip.

www.congress.gov...

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Hey, as long as it sounds good and my side is all for it, why not? Who cares what's actually in the bill and who cares what harm it might do. If it makes the Dems look good at all(and hey let's face it, they can use WHATEVER help they can get right now), I say PASS THAT SUCKER! Lets get it rammed through! Progress!

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

U.S. health care spending grew 3.9 percent in 2017, reaching $3.5 trillion or $10,739 per person. As a share of the nation's Gross Domestic Product, health spending accounted for 17.9 percent

Source

Your government is involved already.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Uhg, I can't wait until this sock is eliminated.

How many many times?

How well do they pay?

Give me a number I can start earning. Where do I send my resume?

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Developing a new prescription medicine that gains marketing approval is estimated to cost drugmakers $2.6 billion according to a recent study by Tufts Center for the Study of Drug Development and published in the Journal of Health Economics. This is up from $802 million in 2003—equal to approximately $1 billion in 2013 dollars, and thus a 145 percent increase in the ten year study gap. Furthermore, while the average time it takes to bring a drug through clinical trials has decreased, the rate of success has gone down by almost half, to just 12 percent.

It takes years to recover costs

Now when your price fixing.

Your adding even more YEARS to recover cost of development.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

2. Problem they're ripping off drug companies.

Really?

Really?

Multi-billion profits?

Oh my, you care about big pharma being ripped off?

Maybe go the crying room at the back of the church with your mother, because I don't want to hear what is coming out of your mouth.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

They don't make that profit over night.

Not every drug made is a winner.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Have you read the bill?

It's crap and would actually raise drug prices.

It's basically Obamacare to the pharmaceutical industry.

Have you read the Bill? The tax is a penalty for companies that refuse to negotiate the cost of prescription drugs with the Secretary of Health and Human Services.

The problem with drug price negotiations always has been how to get the drug makers to participate. The Dept. of Veterans Affairs, which has had the most success in squeezing companies for discounts, does it by maintaining a tight list of accepted drugs known as a formulary, and threatening to toss drugs off the list if their manufacturers don’t play ball. That won’t work for Medicare or the commercial market, where customers want and need access to a broader formulary. The approach of H.R. 3 is to impose a stiff excise tax of as much as 95% on companies that refuse to negotiate. The tax isn’t deductible from income tax. As a result, the CBO says, “the combination of income taxes and excise taxes on the sales could cause the drug manufacturer to lose money if the drug was sold in the United States.”

Column: Pelosi finds a way to save billions by cutting drug prices, but Big Pharma pushes back

You're disseminating lies and half truths... as you have always done here...

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   

SLKSHJDFHSASL
FSDKDJS

puppet

SKJDSDJKSDJEKJE

MEH

Something about topic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>