It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brother can you spare some skin? New Zealand has ordered more than 1,290 square feet of skin

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

people were horribly burnt but their clothes were intact and without damage

That's a small favor there. At least the intact clothing can be removed as opposed to staff having to pick charred/melted cloth out of burn wounds.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: FredT

I am an organ donor. Skin is the largest single organ of the human body.

I worked midnights in a Pediatric Burn/Trauma Unit. Cannot describe the horrendous changing of the dressings...

So I can understand the need

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Agit8dChop

people were horribly burnt but their clothes were intact and without damage

That's a small favor there. At least the intact clothing can be removed as opposed to staff having to pick charred/melted cloth out of burn wounds.

Thats the issue we have with our Nomex flight suits. The suits themselves will not burn unless you talking a full on Avgas fuel fire, but it still transfers heat which means you still get burned with prolonged exposure. There is a whole routing, dryer sheets and fabric softener are quite flammable so you can't use them on the suits as it negates the whole effect

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Floridadreamin
No real medicine background here, if they can't treat the pain caused by burned nerve endings, can they at least put the patient to sleep, in a coma, or give other newly legal drugs for the pain? This seems inhuman.

On another note, Americans widening girth makes them qualified donors for skin, I would think.

I actually knew a shockingly obese guy who donated a bunch of "extra" skin after losing 300 lbs. I don't know how much of it comes from living individuals like his case, but it does happen!

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
a reply to: FredT

I am an organ donor. Skin is the largest single organ of the human body.

I worked midnights in a Pediatric Burn/Trauma Unit. Cannot describe the horrendous changing of the dressings...

So I can understand the need

Had half my arm covered in 2nd and 3rd degree hurns as a kid. If it was time to change dressings or if something soft gently brushed across my arm, I remember thinking how welcome death would be, just for a little while at least.

A kidney stone later in life that I was given morphine for at one point was WEAK sauce in comparison. And this was just half of one arm, only about 40% of which was 3rd degree. These whole body burns...no thanks. I couldn't do it.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

My belief with pain is that you can make it through anything once because you don't know what you're in for. It's the second, third, etc., times that get you because you remember and anticipate which makes it worse.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

But I guess the Ausies have no skin in this game.........

Australia Sends 22 Square Feet of Skin to New Zealand Volcano Victims

Its a bit short of what is required, but trying. The scale of the injuries suffered to require this much support is terrifying. God bless all involved.

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: FredT That is because New Zealand put all their profits before safety,hope those poor kids relatives sue that country,to bankruptcy,how discusting of them

top topics

<< 1   >>

join