It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greta Thunberg named TIME’s 2019 ‘Person of the Year’

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: jtrenthacker

She seems to be raising awareness.

I do have concerns that someone so young is being used as a figurehead for a movement but the basic fact is we need to clean up our act.

Bro.... If Al Gore didn't raise awareness, how will Greta Thornborn?

Besides, like I said, the Earth goes through climate change by itself. Humans aren't big enough to make that kind of an impact. Very arrogant of you to think so, but not surprising.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

I do have concerns that someone so young is being used as a figurehead for a movement but the basic fact is we need to clean up our act.

Besides, like I said, the Earth goes through climate change by itself. Humans aren't big enough to make that kind of an impact. Very arrogant of you to think so, but not surprising.

So then is the assumption that climate change is natural mean we shouldn't do anything about a trend that seems to be projected to kill us off in a few hundred years? I'm certain you're not a defeatist lusting for the end of humanity, so at what point do we say this # is bad and we should do something about it?

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

And when the science was correct about the cooling period coming? Then what?

Don't know , I read a Japanese climate scientist about 15 years ago who believed and ice age was coming , he forecast a brief spell of warming followed by a relatively rapid cooling.

We , or rather business on our behalf are exploiting the planet , we have done for generations but as the global population rises that exploitation increase with it unless we find viable alternatives to the energy sources we use today , it's part of our evolution.

We live in a goldfish bowl , it's time we stopped crapping in it.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Whether this is correct or not, I still think it's in humans best interest to do what we can to minimize impact on our environment. When I say that, I don't mean taxing everyone into oblivion.
edit on 11-12-2019 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Humans aren't big enough to make that kind of an impact. Very arrogant of you to think so, but not surprising.

We could nuke it and make a very real impact, and fast.

We do make impacts all the time though, that take longer than the extreme I pointed out. The point of contention is to what extent.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I remember in the 70's as a kid we were taught in school that the next Ice Age was coming. Then it became global warming. Bottom line is we as a species may be dirtying the planet but we are not killing it.

Is it getting hotter in some places on earth? Yes
IS it getting colder in some places on earth? Yes
Does the sun have decade long cycles where it heats and cools? Yes

I am more afraid of a major volcano erupting then too many cars being on the road to be very honest.

I am all for renewable energy but we are a very big world...and a spec in it's history.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Naw...we throw a hissy fit when ADULTS exploit a young 16 year old girl, with Asperger's syndrome, as a political pawn.

The hissy fit is real - but it's an excuse. She was named Time's person of the year for reasons that are unfathomable to you

Exploited? This is her choice. She's at least as intelligent and astute as anyone in this thread - pro or con. Her Aspergers isn't a weakness - it allows her to see reality without the hyperbole

It was always a given that she was going to be a target

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

We live in a goldfish bowl , it's time we stopped crapping in it.

Ummmm. . . . where do you propose we crap?

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

When we have proven data would be a great start.

60,000,000 years ago, the temperature was 27°F+ hotter. Greenland and Antarctica used to be ice free. We're not going to get hotter than we are now. If death lies ahead of us, demanding our tax dollars isn't going to save anyone besides the rich. To put that in perspective, 350 years ago, it was 2°F colder and lakes and rivers would freeze over as far south as Florida. That was the last GSM and for the past 10,000 years it has hit at the same time. Our next one will be next year and it takes 4 or 5 years to start feeling the effects. This is supposed to be the worst one in 12,500 years when the temps were 9°F colder.

If you're not rich, you're screwed either way.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   

a reply to: Wayfarer

When we have proven data would be a great start.

60,000,000 years ago, the temperature was 27°F+ hotter. Greenland and Antarctica used to be ice free. We're not going to get hotter than we are now. If death lies ahead of us, demanding our tax dollars isn't going to save anyone besides the rich. To put that in perspective, 350 years ago, it was 2°F colder and lakes and rivers would freeze over as far south as Florida. That was the last GSM and for the past 10,000 years it has hit at the same time. Our next one will be next year and it takes 4 or 5 years to start feeling the effects. This is supposed to be the worst one in 12,500 years when the temps were 9°F colder.

If you're not rich, you're screwed either way.

Well in the absence of proven data, lets say 10 years from now the average winter temp is -25 in Tennessee and the average summer temp is 115 in Michigan would you consider that ample enough practical evidence that we need to try and do something?

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Personally I'm more concerned about the amount of plastic being found in marine animals and the amount of crap floating in our oceans , the loss of habitat for wildlife as we expand our populations and needs , we are on a downward spiral but I doubt it will be climate change that will be our demise but our own actions if we don't change direction.

We owe it to future generations to clean up our crap and change our course but our way of life and expanding population probably make that a futile dream.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   

60,000,000 years ago, the temperature was 27°F+ hotter. Greenland and Antarctica used to be ice free.

Were humans around back then?

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

60,000,000 years ago, the temperature was 27°F+ hotter. Greenland and Antarctica used to be ice free.

Nancy Pelosi and a very young Bernie Sanders.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Nancy Pelosi and a very young Bernie Sanders.

Reptiles can survive higher temperatures.

So my point still stands.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The problem with that is that they want to eliminate fossil fuels and go with green energy. Without fossil fuels, we'd literally freeze to death if the GSM predictions are correct.

As far as the weather extremes, that's exactly right. And think about it. Last winter, a Wisconsin man, Charles Lampley, froze to death while shoveling snow near his garage when wind chill temperatures reached -62°... Summers are getting hotter, winters are getting colder. But if this GSM prediction is accurate, along with volcanic eruptions blocking heat from the sun, we're in for some serious cold in the coming decade.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   

No taxes and don't eliminate fossil fuels. They can do whatever else they think will help.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Lol...

Yeah but the impacts we make are impacts that can be cleaned up naturally by the earth, minus trash in the oceans and Congress.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Exactly and not to mention Al gore doesn't practice what he preached about climate change.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   

No taxes and don't eliminate fossil fuels. They can do whatever else they think will help.

Those people who support Greta Thunberg and taxes on climate, they should look at what is happening in Germany and France with the farmer protesting.

Such polices always have a negative consequence.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I say we just create a fair tax situation for energy all around and let the free market decide.

We should stop subsidizing fossils fuels and see what the market can produce or the lowest amount of money vs benefits.

Energy independence wouldn't be bad either, while we're positioned well now with fossil fuels, it's finite.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join