It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sanctuary cities, are they above the law?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I haven't read all the posts in this thread but I have read most of them and I acknowledge that many people may say this has nothing to do with me.
But this is a discussion based site and its impossible not to have an opinion regardless of how relevant people think that opinion may be.

As far as I can see its pretty straight forward; every sovereign nation has an immigration policy and a legal procedure to visit/work/live in the respective country.
If someone is in that country contravening those laws there are legal processes and procedures to follow in order to determine if there are legitimate reasons for the individual breaking the laws of that country and how their case should be dealt.

Simply ignoring and not enforcing those laws is NOT acceptable.

If the law is unjust or needs reforming then change the law.
Not enforcing the law undermines the very fabric of lawful process.

I'm not passing comment on the rights or wrongs of US immigration law, its not my place to do so.
But it absolutely baffles me why the open and wilful disregard of a legally binding law by a city is tolerated in any shape or form and I can't for one minute ever imagine anything similar ever being allowed over here.

We have many, many faults over here and many issues we need to address as a matter of urgency, hopefully this will never be one of them.
edit on 11/12/19 by Freeborn because: Couple of typos

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

originally posted by: yuppa

a reply to: yuppa

Im not. The law is the law. Without laws we have anarchy. I would also turn in a nazi to the hague because it was the law.

Is that law abiding - or just cowardly?

Im sure there isnt a difference to you right?

To me there's a glaring difference between handing over a Jew to the Nazis and handing over a war criminal to the Hague

You're the one that seems to think they're the same thing

No its the same situation. not all Nazis were guilty of crimes. Both times a person is going to be killed correct? If you do not see them as the same then you are being a hypocrite. If you asked me to hide you and i was going to break the law to do so id tell you pound sand. My lifes hard enough without that on my record.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
The reason some of these cities claim, not saying it is the truth, is that they don't have the manpower to spare to go after illegals or the space to place them.

"Not part of my job description" might also apply.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
The reason some of these cities claim, not saying it is the truth, is that they don't have the manpower to spare to go after illegals or the space to place them.
"Not part of my job description" might also apply.
I

I know manpower’s an issue but blatantly and purposely allowing a criminal being held in violation of our laws, to walk out the door and once again put the public at risk is inexcusable. Period.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder
Like I said, that is just one of the excuses I have heard about.

Another I have heard is that if the feds don't show up before a certain time it is illegal for the locals to further detain.

Who knows how true either is. In the end it is just politics and they don't care about the illegal or the public. Just funding. Probably the reason for such tactics.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
a reply to: mtnshredder
Like I said, that is just one of the excuses I have heard about.

Another I have heard is that if the feds don't show up before a certain time it is illegal for the locals to further detain.

Who knows how true either is. In the end it is just politics and they don't care about the illegal or the public. Just funding. Probably the reason for such tactics.

Understood

Sadly, you are correct in that it is all about politics, which shouldn’t effect the enforcement of our laws but some cities seem to think otherwise. It’s ironic that our elected officials who run the cities that tend to think they’re above the law are the same ones preaching that no one is above the law. It would be nice if they would make up their mind.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder
..which shouldn’t effect the enforcement of our laws but some cities seem to think otherwise.

Maybe some cities are given that liberty under the table, because all the players, all the way to the top, want it that way.

Then again maybe my tinfoil cap is on too tight.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

There's a mindset that actually thinks that ICE agents or anyone that supports borders are Nazi's.

It's small thinking.

The border argument is lame - you think that having laws will prevent refugees? There's going to be nothing but refugees from here on out. How we address the problem will be determined by what kind of people we want to be

Better laws and a change in attitude are the only way forward

As for those people who actually do break the law - I'm all about due process. Due process doesn't mean rounding them up and putting them in prison camps because you don't want to handle it the right way. Because you're lazy or cheap - or just callous

So, not Nazis. But there is a trend. Just following orders - and unreasonable laws

I'm comfortable with my position

No guts no glory Cowboy. It's small thinking to claim I called someone a Nazi - and then not have the guts to say it to my face

due process is protecting the damn border and not letting the illegal invaders in. If you want to come here, there is a process, follow it. That's my position.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 05:04 AM
link   

even though you aren't from around here, you seem to have grasped the situation quite well. Your point is my point. Don't ignore the law if laws are important, you have to change them if you don't like them.

And the purpose for the OP is the leading democrats are harping on "the law" and now nobody is above it, yet when it comes to immigration, the law isn't nearly as important to some.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   
And this mentality might get voted into office.

They don't know how to say no and lead with compassion rather then logic.

If a boat was sinking the Democrats would try and bring everyone on the life raft eventually drowning everyone.

Very short minded beliefs and very dangerous in the long run

How people align with Democrats is beyond me..
Very naive people

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude The sanctuary areas here in Calif are near ocean there is a great siesmic event to take place,these people will be washed away,there is always a reason behind everything,most coastel citys will be destroyed as well as inland,especially under any giant lake,what destroyed mid west in 1800's

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
a reply to: network dude

I've heard that NOBODY IS ABOVE THE LAW!!! and it's said with conviction. The top idiot left has been screaming it. But what of the immigration stance? We have laws about illegal immigration.

What about states rights? Or as usual is that just forgotten when it comes to something you all disagree with?

If you want to challenge the validity of our border security laws, that's cool and all, but you don't get to ignore the laws that exist now because you don't like them. Just as the rest of us who aren't above the law, have to follow rules we may not like, because if you disregard the rules that govern society, you risk the breakdown of that very society.

Remember folks, a Donald Trump supporter just vomited this diatribe about following the law. A person who blindly supports the most lawless person to hold the office of the President since Richard Nixon.

And you wonder why no one take you guys seriously, and treats you like the alcoholic uncle at Thanksgiving.

You keep saying this, and yet no proof is ever shown... so why should we believe you over the other poster?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join